Para 3 lightweight manufacturing inconsistency?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spyshark

Para 3 lightweight manufacturing inconsistency?

Post by Spyshark »

Hi all,
I have been collecting knives for a while now and love me some spydercos they are the staple of my collection.
So i was stoked to find the para 3 lightweight and ordered myself one and loved ig so much i ordered a second one as backup should mine ever get lost,stolen etc.

When i got the second one i immediately noticed there are some inconsistencies in the finish of the two one seems more of a smooth satin finish while the other seems to also be a smooth satin finish only not done as well. the ridges of the metal are visable on the second one but not on the first seems not as smooth, also the spine and spydie hole of the the first one was ground much smoother then the second one. The second one feels much rougher to the touch.
Also ive noticed the grind of the bevel near the tip of both of the knives on the logo side is way too steep when looking at the tip from the spin side it looks almost like a chisel grind.
The FRN on the second is also rougher.
So i was wondering if ifs normal for Golden Colorado Spidyies to have such big inconsistencies in the manufacturing?
The ony other Golden made Spydie i own is The Native 5 s90v 2015 forum knife edition and i love that little buger has no issues what so ever. You can see all the issues i was mentioning in the pictures ive attached.both bought within a few days of each other and from the same vendor,both are originals.
Does it warrent replacing the knives?or what can i do about it?
I must say it bugs my OCD somewhat.
Besides the finishing issues i mentioned they function buttery smooth and i love the model.
Thanks for the help!(attached pictures)
Attachments
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
Wartstein

Re: Para 3 lightweight manufacturing inconsistency?

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum! :)

I don't have a Para 3 LW myself, but am sure others who have will give their insight here.

Just on the uneven grind you mention:
In my experience it can happen that the factory grind angle on one side is a bit steeper than on the other or not totally consistent over the whole edge length.
Imho not a problem though and will even out after some sharpening anyway.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

I have one and only worry about tiny things like that just before performing brain surgury.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Just to help with your ocd... have you noticed that all para 3 lightweights are off center.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Ric

Post by Ric »

A bit off centering is normal.

You can contact TazKristi here in the forum for warranty.

If the action is good and the steel not soft I would be glad having such unique piece.
Seems that it did not spend much time in the tumbler.
Spyshark

Post by Spyshark »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:32 am
Just to help with your ocd... have you noticed that all para 3 lightweights are off center.
HaHa Dude Great Reply made me laugh outloud :D

already am over the Issue it just bothered me abit that it came like that from the Golden Factory (they have such good QC usually). Been Loving the Para 3 LW