C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Naperville

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by Naperville »

nerdlock wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:19 pm
Naperville wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:12 pm
riclaw wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:56 am
PE in stock at Ridgerunner Blades:
https://ridgerunnerblades.com/product/spyderco-ayoob/
Have to start saving my pennies!!!

I will pick one up if they are still in stock when I get some income flowing in. Might be landing a part-time job at Amazon. Took my drug test and since I don't do drugs of any kind, I think it is in the bag. Start date will be 09/07!

More knives incoming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:party-face
Congratulations on the new job!
Thank you!!!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:06 pm
Evil D, you really did a great job on that Massad Ayoob SE to PE conversion. I doubt that I could have pulled that off.

I am a huge fan of Massad Ayoob, have several of his books and have saved a few postings and videos on my old system that right now has (I think) a bad video card. I don't own any firearms but Massad Ayoob is an expert on self defense and that is why he intrigues me.

Getting a copy of this Massad Ayoob knife is like owning a KA-Bar. It is a unique knife and probably in many knife collections, just like Massad Ayoob's books.

If this makes a comeback I hope Sal makes enough of them in PE Cruwear, because I think I'll pick one up and give it a whirl.
Thanks Naperville for pointing all of those facts about Mr. Massad Ayoob. For those who may not be aware of his accolades he is far more than a guy who submitted a great knife design. He is also an expert on firearms, self defense and extremely knowledgeable about a wide array of subjects. His work in Law Enforcement was stellar needless to say.

His two knife designs that I'm aware of are pretty much icing on the cake so to speak. He also did a fixed blade design many years ago called the Razorback. However that was done by a company known as MOD at the time.

I just wish he would take time to do another folder design. Because the C-60 Ayoob model is one of the most detailed, intricate designs of a folder that I remember in recent history. And it doesn't surprise me that Spyderco did such an excellent job on all 3 of the releases of the C-60 folder.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:10 pm
Naperville wrote:
Evil D, you really did a great job on that Massad Ayoob SE to PE conversion. I doubt that I could have pulled that off.

I am a huge fan of Massad Ayoob, have several of his books and have saved a few postings and videos on my old system that right now has (I think) a bad video card. I don't own any firearms but Massad Ayoob is an expert on self defense and that is why he intrigues me.

Getting a copy of this Massad Ayoob knife is like owning a KA-Bar. It is a unique knife and probably in many knife collections, just like Massad Ayoob's books.

If this makes a comeback I hope Sal makes enough of them in PE Cruwear, because I think I'll pick one up and give it a whirl.
Thanks Naperville for pointing all of those facts about Mr. Massad Ayoob. For those who may not be aware of his accolades he is far more than a guy who submitted a great knife design. He is also an expert on firearms, self defense and extremely knowledgeable about a wide array of subjects. His work in Law Enforcement was stellar needless to say.

His two knife designs that I'm aware of are pretty much icing on the cake so to speak. He also did a fixed blade design many years ago called the Razorback. However that was done by a company known as MOD at the time.

I just wish he would take time to do another folder design. Because the C-60 Ayoob model is one of the most detailed, intricate designs of a folder that I remember in recent history. And it doesn't surprise me that Spyderco did such an excellent job on all 3 of the releases of the C-60 folder.
Massad Ayoob has been publishing books, writing, designing knives and testifying in the court of law for self defense clients for decades. I cannot remember when I started following him, but I know that it is at least 25 to 35 years ago. My whole family and all uncles, and 1st cousins are/were either 911 dispatchers, police officers or in the military and that was the impetuous for me to start reading SOF, hunting, firearms, archery, and martial arts magazines and training in martial arts back in the early 70's.

Maybe a new 4 inch fixed blade designed by Ayoob is what we need. Fixed blades are better for self defense, but finding the right one is the problem. That is why I was ranting and raving about the Spyderco K390 Enuff 2. It is not an Ayoob model, but it rocks.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:46 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:10 pm
Naperville wrote:

Massad Ayoob has been publishing books, writing, designing knives and testifying in the court of law for self defense clients for decades. I cannot remember when I started following him, but I know that it is at least 25 to 35 years ago. My whole family and all uncles, and 1st cousins are/were either 911 dispatchers, police officers or in the military and that was the impetuous for me to start reading SOF, hunting, firearms, archery, and martial arts magazines and training in martial arts back in the early 70's.

Maybe a new 4 inch fixed blade designed by Ayoob is what we need. Fixed blades are better for self defense, but finding the right one is the problem. That is why I was ranting and raving about the Spyderco K390 Enuff 2. It is not an Ayoob model, but it rocks.
Mr. Massad Ayoob at one time was a major contributor to a magazine entitled "BackWoods Home". I had a subscription to that magazine for a little over 5 years at one time. His level of common sense and street knowledge is way above most people's awareness.

And to think that his brilliant knife designs are merely a sidebar of everything he participates in. If Mr. Ayoob is reading any of this thread then I ask him if he would consider designing another great folder for Spyderco.
Stas

Post by Stas »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:12 am

And to think that his brilliant knife designs are merely a sidebar of everything he participates in. If Mr. Ayoob is reading any of this thread then I ask him if he would consider designing another great folder for Spyderco.
If you think it could be done any better than C-60. This would be incredible.

As a huge C-60 fan, I would love to have also something lighter and more resistant for occasional summer carry to blow Endura / Delica out of my pocket :)
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mr. Massad Ayoob at one time was a major contributor to a magazine entitled "BackWoods Home". I had a subscription to that magazine for a little over 5 years at one time. His level of common sense and street knowledge is way above most people's awareness.

I saw that magazine but never bought a copy. You can go onto the website and order most of the back issues. Must be pretty popular right now. Everyone wants to know how to prep.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:14 am
JD Spydo wrote:

I saw that magazine but never bought a copy. You can go onto the website and order most of the back issues. Must be pretty popular right now. Everyone wants to know how to prep.
Yeah Backwoods Home magazine is similar to the "Backwoodsman" and OFF GRID and Wilderness Way ( now defunct). Yeah Mr. Massad Ayoob did articles in almost every issue of BackWoods Home magazine relating to gun safety and self defense type articles. To think that the C-60 Ayoob design is already 20 years plus old already is amazing.

It just goes to show you that a really good design for knives is almost timeless. The C-60 design is so good it would have you to believe that Massad Ayoob was primarily a designer of good blades. When in reality it was just a sidebar hobby of his.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I have a subscription to OFF GRID and I have all the issues they ever printed. What I'd rather have are PDFs but they give you a "Zinio Desktop Reader" and you download the books to read the magazine. It works on my cell phone too.

Yea he speaks to the timeless art of survival.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:18 am
I have a subscription to OFF GRID and I have all the issues they ever printed. What I'd rather have are PDFs but they give you a "Zinio Desktop Reader" and you download the books to read the magazine. It works on my cell phone too.

Just the fact that Massad Ayoob wrote articles for many of those types of publications just goes to show that he really intended the C-60 Ayoob to be an extremely efficient self defense and survival type folder as well.

His "Backwoods Home" articles are truly pertinent to survival type subject matter.

I can only imagine what the guy would come up with if he were to dedicate far more of his time to knife designing. And it blows my mind that the C-60 was basically a sidebar project he had going at the time. I would still love to get my hands on one of those fixed blade Razorback models that he designed for the MOD knife company at that time.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:31 pm
Naperville wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:18 am

Just the fact that Massad Ayoob wrote articles for many of those types of publications just goes to show that he really intended the C-60 Ayoob to be an extremely efficient self defense and survival type folder as well.

His "Backwoods Home" articles are truly pertinent to survival type subject matter.

I can only imagine what the guy would come up with if he were to dedicate far more of his time to knife designing. And it blows my mind that the C-60 was basically a sidebar project he had going at the time. I would still love to get my hands on one of those fixed blade Razorback models that he designed for the MOD knife company at that time.
[+1]
Spyderwebs

Post by Spyderwebs »

For those who missed out, I notice KaBar has an Ayoob knock off with much less elegant execution but very similar lines, the 2490 TDI. I am tempted by it because its 3" blade makes it legal where I work with some regularity. Might make a good car knife for when carrying the Ayoob is questionable.

nice pistol grip with negative blade angle and a spear point all add up to a very similar knife to our beloved Ayoob.
Stas

Post by Stas »

Spyderwebs wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:18 am
For those who missed out, I notice KaBar has an Ayoob knock off with much less elegant execution but very similar lines, the 2490 TDI. I am tempted by it because its 3" blade makes it legal where I work with some regularity. Might make a good car knife for when carrying the Ayoob is questionable.

nice pistol grip with negative blade angle and a spear point all add up to a very similar knife to our beloved Ayoob.
Had to google it. Probably 2482 TDI is much closer.
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Spyderwebs

Post by Spyderwebs »

Stas wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:34 am
Spyderwebs wrote:

the 2482 appears discontinued, has a larger 3.6" blade, and a much more extreme negative blade angle. Personally I think the ayoob gets the angle just right, as it 'points' directly on the center of a natural 'punch' motion, and the 2490 is pretty close to the same angle.
Just a couple differences I notice. Either could be a nice alternative depending on your preferences
Stas

Post by Stas »

Spyderwebs wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:42 am
Stas wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:34 am
Spyderwebs wrote:

the 2482 appears discontinued, has a larger 3.6" blade, and a much more extreme negative blade angle. Personally I think the ayoob gets the angle just right, as it 'points' directly on the center of a natural 'punch' motion, and the 2490 is pretty close to the same angle.
Just a couple differences I notice. Either could be a nice alternative depending on your preferences
My preference is Spyderco Massad Ayoob 😉 I have three 😁
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I don't have anything to add to the discussion. Just carrying the Ayoob today.
ayoob_06.jpg
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

mikey177 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:20 pm
I don't have anything to add to the discussion. Just carrying the Ayoob today.ayoob_06.jpg
Actually putting the C-60 Ayoob to the test in hard use jobs is the ultimate way to see just how great of a design it is. The overall ergonomics and the extremely comfortable feeling you get while using it speaks volumes. The old adage which says "Seeing Is Believing" is not the best way to describe how good a C-60 Ayoob feels in your hands while using.

It would be better to say that "Using Is Believing" would be far more accurate.

All the Spyderco folders that have similar ergonomics compared to the C-60 Ayoob you can literally count on one hand. Personally I can only think of two or possible three at the most Spyderco folders that are in that league.
Fharing45

Post by Fharing45 »

JD Spydo
I love the dynamics of the ayoob in use. Inquiring spydie addicts want to know the handful of other similar ergonomic models. :bug-red-white :bug-red-white
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Fharing45 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:36 am
JD Spydo
I love the dynamics of the ayoob in use. Inquiring spydie addicts want to know the handful of other similar ergonomic models. :bug-red-white :bug-red-white
If you like the C-60 Ayoob model ( Old & New Sprint Runs) you'll surely like the JD Smith model as well as the original Viele C-42 model. People wonder why I like many of these older Spyderco models>> it's because they truly had some extremely functional designs from 1998 to 2004 IMO.

If more people would do a serious test drive of the C-60 Ayoob model either in PE or SE there would be a campaign to bring back the C-60 into the main line up. And Cruwear blade steel on the newer Sprint version was a virtually perfect blade steel for that particular model.
Spyderwebs

Post by Spyderwebs »

What size are the tiny screws on the Ayoob? T5 Torx?

I have a T6 and that is too large.
I got some grit in between the lock bar and liner, so I may need to take it apart for the first time. Any tricks I should be aware of?
Also the pivot screw is T7? If so, both screw sizes are 1 smaller than usual, no? (T6/T8 seems common on most others)

Also I finally fixed the horrible 45* SE tip, and also reduced the snaggletooth slightly in the process. I just freehand re-profiled the tip with the Sharpmaker brown stone in about 10 minutes. It was kinda ugly, as you could see each individual push/pull of the stone since the area is convex, but this completely disappeared with just a few passes on the a 4 micron stroop!
Its so much more pokey now! As it should be, finally. I recommend everyone re-profile the tip. I am no sharpening master, but it was pretty easy and turned out well IMO

https://imgur.com/a/AZZJ4VX
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Looks good!