The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TomAiello

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Post by TomAiello »

I remember dreaming of owning a Seecamp many years ago. I was never able to pick one up. Fortunately, tiny pocket pistols are now much more common. I own a Kahr in 380 that is very, very small, as well as a 9mm Kahr and the Sig P365, all for pocket carry. The site system on the Sig is pretty cool.

I'd still love to find a Seecamp, though.
benben

Post by benben »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:53 am
benben wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:19 am
I remember way back in the day when everyone wanted a Seecamp, they were expensive and just impossible to get, my BIL was hung up for several years trying to find one.

What’s the reasoning behind no FMJ?

Yup, that's when the little gun came onto my radar. At the time I was intrigued, but had neither the cash nor the patience to get one. Even now it's not a gun I'd actively pursue, but it appeared, and I couldn't think of a good reason not to buy it.

JHP or truncated cones are needed because the gun is too small to accommodate the extra length of the FMJ. Of course I had to try, and the longer cartridge doesn't fit in the magazine. Seecamp sold out to another company some years back, and the newer versions of the pistol might be able to digest FMJ's.
Thank you sir! 👍
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

A new Seecamp can be purchased
from any gun store through a distributor.
https://seecamp.com/how-to-purchase/

In 2014, Whalley Precision purchased Seecamp
from Larry Seecamp, son of the founder,
and moved operations to Southwick, Mass.

Whalley had some quality problems early on
which should be resolved by now.
But if you see one at a gun show or in a pawn shop,
check and see where it was made.

The ones marked MILFORD. CT.
were made by the Seecamp family
and should be fine.

One reason that the original .25 caliber Seecamp,
(which was replaced in 1985 with the .32
which has exactly the same exterior dimensions)
had such a long waiting list, up to a year,
was they were machined by hand.
The company did not change to CNC machines
until after 2005 which speeded up production
and eliminated the long wait.

In 1999 the company introduced a .380
that was only one tenth of an inch thicker in the grip.
Early ones had some quality problems.

In a used Seecamp the safest choice
and most affordable
would be a .32 from Milford.
The .25s are rare and priced accordingly.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
benben

Post by benben »

That’s some great information Mac, thanks!
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Eleven year olds are so spontaneous.

My daughter's family came down for Thanksgiving.

About 30 years ago I bought her a Ruger Security Six.
She decided to burn up a bunch of reloaded ammo in it
of the same vintage and brought it with her.

It has been my custom to take a picture
of the shooter and the firearm
posed next to the steel target
for bragging rights or humiliation.
This was my turn at the 20 yard half silhouette.
Last edited by Mad Mac on Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

There ya go! Now, that's having some fun & makin some memories!
Very happy for ya, Mac 😃
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

The kid said he didn't want to go home.
Said he wanted to stay here with me...
and the dogs.
(They can't have dogs at his house.)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:12 pm
The kid said he didn't want to go home.
Said he wanted to stay here with me...
and the dogs.
(They can't have dogs at his house.)
Sounds to me like your doin one helluva job as a grandad 😎
benben

Post by benben »

Great job Mac, fond memories she’ll remember forever!
benben

Post by benben »

Haven’t bought a pistol in the last ten years that wasn’t a HK. I’m wanting a heavy steel hammer fired range pistol….thinking hard on a CZ Shadow 2.

Never owned a CZ, I know they have a cult like fan following!
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

The Czechs certainly know how to make a good gun.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

benben wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:32 pm
Haven’t bought a pistol in the last ten years that wasn’t a HK. I’m wanting a heavy steel hammer fired range pistol….thinking hard on a CZ Shadow 2.

I've never owned a CZ, either. But people like 'em. I think the internal slide is hella sexy, like a modern P210.

I've got a couple HK's. They're totally bomb proof. But I never fell in love with my HK45C. It never filled the hollow part of my palm and wasn't quite right. I put a HandAll sleeve on it. That resolved the palm swell, but it made the gun feel thick, like grabbing a handful of Rosie O'Donnell. Last week I removed the sleeve and inserted an extended magazine. Typically I like short magazines, but I was just goofing around. It completely changed the feel of the gun. With more real estate for my large hand, it doesn't need to scrunch up, and my palm lies flat on the grip. It's now WAY better. It now feels great in my hand and my groups are great. I'm surprised and overjoyed.
benben

Post by benben »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:01 pm
benben wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:32 pm

I've never owned a CZ, either. But people like 'em. I think the internal slide is hella sexy, like a modern P210.

I've got a couple HK's. They're totally bomb proof. But I never fell in love with my HK45C. It never filled the hollow part of my palm and wasn't quite right. I put a HandAll sleeve on it. That resolved the palm swell, but it made the gun feel thick, like grabbing a handful of Rosie O'Donnell. Last week I removed the sleeve and inserted an extended magazine. Typically I like short magazines, but I was just goofing around. It completely changed the feel of the gun. With more real estate for my large hand, it doesn't need to scrunch up, and my palm lies flat on the grip. It's now WAY better. It now feels great in my hand and my groups are great. I'm surprised and overjoyed.
I bet you’d love the Jet Funnel mag well on my full size USP .40
IMG_2820.jpeg
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

benben wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:47 pm

I've never heard of Jet Funnel, so I googled it.
Pretty nice piece of kit.
benben

Post by benben »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:29 am
benben wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:47 pm

I've never heard of Jet Funnel, so I googled it.
Pretty nice piece of kit.
You can throw a magazine into that USP from across the room! ;)

Seriously, makes a huge difference in the overall feel of the pistol. I have medium sized hands so it really shouldn’t make that much difference to me….but it does. My next HK pistol will be a USP Expert, they come both ways, with or without the Jet Funnel, I’ll definitely get one with the JF!
Last edited by benben on Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benben

Post by benben »

vivi wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:36 am
I'm looking for a new full sized double stack pistol.

I have a Ruger LCP Max as my pocket gun, and a S&W M&P Shield 2.0 9mm as my regular EDC.

Looking for something with.....

* Minimum of 16+1 carry capacity.
* $400-700 street price.
* 9mm preferred.
* No safety.

Not too worried about size and weight as this will be an open carry firearm for work & the night stand. Just want something with higher capacity than my other pistols, with a longer and more accurate barrel.

Previously owned an M&P 9mm full sized pistol but sold it to a friend. Wouldn't be opposed to buying the newer version of that, or picking up my first Glock, but figured I'd ask here and see if there's anything else I should consider.
Hey vivi, did you ever buy yourself a new pistol?
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I just got a new browning x-bolt in 7mm mag for like $500 below retail. Couldn’t pass it up! Now comes the long search to decide what piece of glass I should mount on it.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

prndltech wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:32 am
I just got a new browning x-bolt in 7mm mag for like $500 below retail. Couldn’t pass it up! Now comes the long search to decide what piece of glass I should mount on it.
Nice catch ! Scope shopping is a challenge for me , the battle of what I like versus what I realistically need . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

prndltech wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:32 am
Nice score. 👍
I really like Vortex & Steiner - both are great. The Steiner T6 series is really nice if ya want 1st focal plane
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

The first consideration would be
the way the rifle is going to be used.

Long range bench rest type shooting
or packing it into the field and up mountains.
Shooting from improvised rests
or offhand snapshots
at uncertain ranges.

Scope weight, surprisingly, can vary a great deal.