The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
toxophilus

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Post by toxophilus »

Took possession of my first S&W revolver earlier this week, it's used but it will be used a helluva lot more now...

Some things just can't wait... took it out to the range the same afternoon; it prefers bulk Federal over the Federal Champion; just need to move the rear sight to the left a click or two :smiling-heart-eyes

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Nice score!!
So much fun right there now.
Congratulations!
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

My gun and knife walls have been featured here before
but I keep adding stuff and rearranging things.

One might wonder
why is there a Woodman's Pal
displayed with fighting knives and bayonets.
The reason is because it was issued in WWII
to US Army operators in the Pacific
and had its own field manual
which showed how to use it as a weapon.

All of the metal hooks have liners from Wall Control
or liners made from inexpensive soft vinyl tubing
from the auto parts store.

The Texas flag wall has arms
from the Civil War to today,
challenge coins
and many of my Spyderco knives.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

I'm not a Texan but that wall looks fantastic.
I tried something similar, but ended up doing a nerf wall for my youngest with it lol. I'll probably go gallowtech for my gun room eventually...

Had a great labor day weekend, my middle daughter built her first AR this weekend and got her first black rifle all setup. She did a great job on the build and I just supervised.
Attachments
Resized_20230902_135937.jpeg
Resized_20230902_103142.jpeg
Resized_20200526_130457.jpeg
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

That's getting them started in the right direction!
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mad Mac wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:45 am
That's getting them started in the right direction!
Amen 🙏
They need to know how to safely use a firearm & to defend themselves.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

I really want a Model 19 357
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

vivi wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:36 am
I'm looking for a new full sized double stack pistol.

I have a Ruger LCP Max as my pocket gun, and a S&W M&P Shield 2.0 9mm as my regular EDC.

Looking for something with.....

* Minimum of 16+1 carry capacity.
* $400-700 street price.
* 9mm preferred.
* No safety.

Not too worried about size and weight as this will be an open carry firearm for work & the night stand. Just want something with higher capacity than my other pistols, with a longer and more accurate barrel.

Previously owned an M&P 9mm full sized pistol but sold it to a friend. Wouldn't be opposed to buying the newer version of that, or picking up my first Glock, but figured I'd ask here and see if there's anything else I should consider.
If you haven't found anything yet, I strongly recommend the Beretta APX A1 Fullsize. Especially with the rebate right now.
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

This isn't a new gun. But just like knives, if you throw enough bling at your old one, it feels just like a new one.

I really like this little pistol and carry it a lot. When I first got it, I had an elephant hide holster made for it. While the maker is a real leatherworker, he's not what I'd call an "artisan." I never fell in love with the holster. After a few years, I accepted that the money spent on the elephant holster was money thrown down the toilet. If I'm going to carry the gun a lot, it should have a holster that makes me happy. Ryan Grizzle is the sort of leatherworker that I consider an "artisan." I gave him a call, and this is what he made. I REALLY like it.

Since I had a gun that I really like, and a nice holster to go with it, it was time to address an aspect of the gun that I wasn't fond of. The factory sights are just... meh. They don't stand out in the bright sunlight, they don't stand out in the dark. I slapped on some Truglo TFX Pro Tritium/Fiber Optic sights. Now they're easy to pick up in any lighting conditions.

IMG_2811.jpeg
IMG_3196.jpeg
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Since these were introduced in the mid-80's, I've wanted one. Back in those days, the waiting list was over a year. Street prices were inflated to 8x retail. Decades passed and demand waned, but my desire to own one was just as strong as ever. When this one came up at a local auction, I had to have a go at it. It was manufactured 23 years ago, and was new in the box. This afternoon I disassembled and cleaned her. This is more action that she's seen since leaving the factory two decades ago.

IMG_3473.jpeg
IMG_3481.jpeg
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Nice job, Rusty! Your on a roll man.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Well done, Rusty.
You have joined an elite group of pistol aficionados.
The Tiffany of pocket pistols in my view.
For a convertible pocket holster
check out Bear Creek Holster.
This one is mine.

A Seecamp is the only pistol
that I have been able to comfortably carry
all day, every day, a week at a time.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:24 am
Well done, Rusty.
For a convertible pocket holster
check out Bear Creek Holster.
This one is mine.

A Seecamp is the only pistol
that I have been able to comfortably carry
all day, every day, a week at a time.
Dang, that's nice Mac 🍻
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Sig Sauer STX 1911.....on layaway
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:04 pm
Sig Sauer STX 1911.....on layaway
That's a good lookin 45 Auto. Congratulations
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Finally got to pick up this Ruger 00463 45 convertible yesterday as we now have that silly three day waiting period bs here in Colorado...

I got busy today loading my first batch of 45 Long Colt cases and took it out this afternoon for initial testing.
Testing was from 20 yards away using a bench/rest. The heaviest boolits I had were the 200gr XTPs so I went with the data out of my Speer manual. 8.9grns of Universal seemed to be the best though I was shooting too fast for the next load up so I'll test that again.

Ended the session with my pet .45 ACP SWC load, I'm happy :smiling-heart-eyes

Last edited by toxophilus on Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Mad Mac wrote:
Well done, Rusty.
Cool. I've been looking at holsters, but haven't figured it out yet. All my .32 ACP ammo was FMJ, which is a no-go in the Seecamp. I ordered a big pile of JHP, so I'll head out next week to put the little pistol through its paces.
benben

Post by benben »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:49 pm
Mad Mac wrote:
Well done, Rusty.
Cool. I've been looking at holsters, but haven't figured it out yet. All my .32 ACP ammo was FMJ, which is a no-go in the Seecamp. I ordered a big pile of JHP, so I'll head out next week to put the little pistol through its paces.
I remember way back in the day when everyone wanted a Seecamp, they were expensive and just impossible to get, my BIL was hung up for several years trying to find one.

What’s the reasoning behind no FMJ?
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

benben wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:19 am
I remember way back in the day when everyone wanted a Seecamp, they were expensive and just impossible to get, my BIL was hung up for several years trying to find one.

What’s the reasoning behind no FMJ?

Yup, that's when the little gun came onto my radar. At the time I was intrigued, but had neither the cash nor the patience to get one. Even now it's not a gun I'd actively pursue, but it appeared, and I couldn't think of a good reason not to buy it.

JHP or truncated cones are needed because the gun is too small to accommodate the extra length of the FMJ. Of course I had to try, and the longer cartridge doesn't fit in the magazine. Seecamp sold out to another company some years back, and the newer versions of the pistol might be able to digest FMJ's.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

The cause of problems in the Seecamp
is usually because some brands of cartridge
are ever so slightly too long.

Seecamp once recommended
only using Winchester Silvertips
back in the day.

If you have access to a micrometer
you will see what I mean.
One enterprising owner
made and sold go/no-go gauges.

The Seecamp forum was a great resource
but has sadly been discontinued.
They now recommend social media.
https://seecamp.com/forum-is-down/