Scooters

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Bloke

Re: Scooters

Post by Bloke »

miyamotomusashi wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:42 pm
... the most comfortable and best handling bike I've ever had ...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:47 pm
miyamotomusashi wrote:
... the most comfortable and best handling bike I've ever had ...

Ha ha! :D

Showed that to my wife and she laughed out loud too. :D

I like your Australia-proof scooter too, Doc! I bet you wouldn't have many traffic problems if you rode that thing down the highway. ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
harronek

Post by harronek »

Titanium expansion chamber exhaust , oversize 80cc cylinder .

Stretched chassis by 4 inches .

280mm oversize front disc brake .

I take my scooters seriously :)

Ken
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

harronek wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:31 pm

Ken
Wow! What is (was) it?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

miyamotomusashi wrote:
I recently added an entry-level "small" bike to my garage, and it's the only one I ride now, for many of the same reasons. It's small, lightweight, nimble, feels like a bicycle, etc. I tried going smaller first, but found my happy medium in the 999cc Indian Scout Sixty. Everything I tried that was smaller just didn't have that fun-factor for me, what I guess is the minimal accelerations and good sounds + comfort.

Scooter's scare me with their smaller diameter tires, which is my main reason for sticking with a "proper" motorcycle.

The big one is the most comfortable and best handling bike I've ever had, but it's been neglected ever since I got the small one. Might also have something to do with how I put more into the Scout, more accessories to customize it to my needs and stuff, but I often wonder why I still have the big one sometimes. I only wish the Scout had cruise control.

20180619_092941.jpg
Very nice!
harronek

Post by harronek »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:29 pm
harronek wrote:

Ken
Wow! What is (was) it?
A Yamaha Aerox 50cc ( Aerox's and Aprilia's are the fastest 50cc scooters you can buy )
I have two other Aerox's plus an Aprilia SR50 , scooters are the best fun , when was the last time you went everywhere at full throttle , thats what I do on my scooters and even though I'm often exceeding the speed limit around town Ive never been booked for speeding , I can also park just about anywhere I like and filter through traffic to get to the front of the line at traffic lights .

Ken
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Scooters are plain fun. The small ones can go anywhere. The big ones make fantastic touring machines. The mid-weights are great for going to the office.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

harronek wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:29 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:29 pm
harronek wrote:

Ken
Wow! What is (was) it?
A Yamaha Aerox 50cc ( Aerox's and Aprilia's are the fastest 50cc scooters you can buy )
I have two other Aerox's plus an Aprilia SR50 , scooters are the best fun , when was the last time you went everywhere at full throttle , thats what I do on my scooters and even though I'm often exceeding the speed limit around town Ive never been booked for speeding , I can also park just about anywhere I like and filter through traffic to get to the front of the line at traffic lights .

Ken
That throttle on/off action and riding like you stole it! Love it - but too risky on a 300!
I’ve never had a 2t - I kick myself for not getting one of the Piaggio Typhoon 180cc 2-strokes when they were still available. I’m too heavy (some might say fat!) for a 50...
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:37 pm
Bloke wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:22 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:16 am
If you get a Honda 150cc PCX you will be happier than with the Honda 90cc. It is the perfect go to the beach bike.
This is what I’ve been thinking about Doc.
Colloquially called a Postie Bike because our Postmen used to ride them and in some places maybe still do and they’re popular and small farms too.

They’re cheap as chips here, secondhand off coarse and I was mistaken they’re actually 110cc of raw power. :p
You at least need one of these because of all the crocs and poisonous varmits that are trying to kill everyone in Australia.

a fixed gun like that won't work against drop bears though!!

I had an Aprilia SR 50 scoot for a while, 50cc two-stroke liquid cooled, with a variable belt transmission. Great little bike, and with extensive engine, variator and suspension upgrades it was actually faster around town than any passenger car! Still got over 80mpg and would hold a bag of groceries under the seat. Back then nobody in the US had parts for these, so all my mods came from TaffSpeed in Wales.

the pic isn't of my bike, but the same bodywork (less the lion graphic and red seat).
Attachments
sr50.jpg
sr50.jpg (16.62 KiB) Viewed 2608 times
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

harronek wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:29 am
... what I do on my scooters ...
harronek

Post by harronek »

ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Bloke wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
If you get a Honda 150cc PCX you will be happier than with the Honda 90cc. It is the perfect go to the beach bike.
Colloquially called a Postie Bike because our Postmen used to ride them and in some places maybe still do and they’re popular and small farms too.

They’re cheap as chips here, secondhand off coarse and I was mistaken they’re actually 110cc of raw power. :p
Some lad rode from Aus to the U.K. on one iirc. Great economy and beefed up frame.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:45 am
Bloke wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Some lad rode from Aus to the U.K. on one iirc. Great economy and beefed up frame.
We have the Annual Postie Bike Challenge here and it’s amazing where they take these little bikes so it doesn’t surprise me. :cool:

What I don’t understand Chris, is why anyone would leave Oz to go to the U.K.? :confused: :p
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:16 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:45 am
Bloke wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

We have the Annual Postie Bike Challenge here and it’s amazing where they take these little bikes so it doesn’t surprise me. :cool:

What I don’t understand Chris, is why anyone would leave Oz to go to the U.K.? :confused: :p

For the beer and the banter, I heard ....

;)
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:21 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:56 pm
I like this scooter so much ...
Bloke, can I sincerely say, you are one of my favorite people! Thank you for your excellent and appropriate videos! :)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I get 110 mpg on my 150, even riding hard. Sometimes the smaller ones are too small for the load. I am no light weight, but any stretch of the imagination, but the 150 PCX really does well. Of course, the guy who owned it before me did a couple of mods to get a slight power increase (I am not certain it was worth the money he spent) so instead of 110 KPH top end, I can go 125 KPH (~75 mph) max, without a head wind. A smaller person would do better and the mpg would be better, as well.

With the new hybrid and new all electric PCX's coming out, all bets are off when it comes to mpg and power range.
Last edited by Doc Dan on Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:37 am
Bloke ...
Ah, hahaha! :)

You’re very kind SEF, and it makes me happy to think you get to laugh either with me or at me.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:21 am
I get 110 mpg on my 150, even riding hard. Sometimes the smaller ones are too small for the load. I am no light weight, but any stretch of the imagination, but the 150 PCX really does well. Of course, the guy who owned it before me did a couple of mods to get a slight power increase (I am not certain it was worth the money he spent) so instead of 110 MPH top end, I can go 125 MPH max, without a head wind. A smaller person would do better and the mpg would be better, as well.

With the new hybrid and new all electric PCX's coming out, all bets are off when it comes to mpg and power range.
You can do 125mph on a 150cc single cylinder 4 stroke auto with cvt??? What mods did the previous owner do?!!!!???
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:03 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:21 am
I get 110 mpg on my 150, even riding hard. Sometimes the smaller ones are too small for the load. I am no light weight, but any stretch of the imagination, but the 150 PCX really does well. Of course, the guy who owned it before me did a couple of mods to get a slight power increase (I am not certain it was worth the money he spent) so instead of 110 MPH top end, I can go 125 MPH max, without a head wind. A smaller person would do better and the mpg would be better, as well.

You can do 125mph on a 150cc single cylinder 4 stroke auto with cvt??? What mods did the previous owner do?!!!!???
HaHaha! My mistake. I meant 110 kph and 125 kph or about 75mph.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:20 am
Our son just moved from five years in NYC to San Francisco. Either place is great for scooters with storage. Traffic is dense and parking near to impossible. That’s what I would have in either place.
Absolutely true! I've been riding in and around SF for over 30 years and it is the best way to navigate the city. You can get places in half the time and parking is a breeze. Just tell your son to watch out for the cage monkeys and ride like no one can see you. :p
image.jpeg
"No matter where you go, there you are"