Spaghetti sauce in a jar

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ChrisinHove

Re: Spaghetti sauce in a jar

Post by ChrisinHove »

I tend to make it, using sieved passata or canned chopped tomatoes (Italian, obviously), chopped onion, garlic, fresh or dried basil depending on what’s to hand, and importantly, a splash of balsamic vinegar and a little bit of sugar.

Thinner for pasta, thicker for pizza.

I have occasionally made a meat ragu, with red wine, mince, and chicken livers, and a long slow cook, but it’s very rich.

We do keep in a couple of jars of good, bought-in sauce for mid week suppers, though.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Doc and anyone else, here is something I've wondered: If you make sauces with a different variety of tomato, and use the same basic ingredients, aside from changing to a different type of tomato in each sauce, would the end result taste much different, or, not, since you would be cooking the tomatoes down with the other ingredients? For example, would sauce with cherry tomatoes be very different taste-wise, than a sauce made with larger type tomatoes, or would it be mostly the same taste?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I make my own but before I started doing that I would use Newman's Own Sockarooni. I hate sweet sauce and that stuff is very zesty due to the bell peppers in it. Very different than most jarred sauces.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

SEF, of course if you change ingredients to something that has a bit of different flavor you will alter the flavor of the sauce, slightly. A good example is Basil. There are different varieties and each has its own flavor. https://morningchores.com/types-of-basil/
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bryan123

Post by bryan123 »

Bertoli and Barilla aren't bad and are recommended by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Bryan
High speed low drag tactical operator immunologist philanthropist & bicyclist
Dragonfly 2 VG-10, Roadie, Bug, ZT 0450, Three Rivers LTC Nomad, Cold Steel Tuff Lite, RAT 1 AUS-8, SAK Super Tinker, Cadet, Rover, Classic SD, Opinel 0008 & 6 Tactical Weapon System, LM Original PST, Micra, 1967 Camillus Cub Scout restored by Rock USA Cutlery, Buck 380, Nick Shabazz autographed Z-Hunter, Snake Eyes Tactical Gas Station Knife
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ragu. Mamas special garden sauce and tomato and garlic
Those two jars + a pack of whatever spaghetti is on sale :)
It does the job.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I would however love to make my own sauce though.
My sister was recently in Rome. She said the Spaghetti over there was absolutely delicious!!
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:06 pm
It does the job.
I usually buy whichever sauce and pasta is on sale, prefer angel hair not overcooked. Brown some ground chuck, and/or ground sausage in a large pot, drain, then stir in some fresh minced garlic (K09) and diced onion (K05) :D . To that I will add the sauce (ususally 2 jars better the 2nd day), a large can of crushed tomatoes, a pack of sliced shrooms and some fresh basil growing in the back yard. Let it simmer a while, mmm good, quick, easy, and tasty. My wife and I prefer a good ciabatta with garlic butter rather than frozen garlic bread. Add a nice salad with homemade dressing (olive oil, rice vinegar, dijon mustard, a bit of honey) and........ dern, I'm gettin hongry. :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Tdog wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:04 am
MacLaren wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:06 pm
It does the job.
I usually buy whichever sauce and pasta is on sale, prefer angel hair not overcooked. Brown some ground chuck, and/or ground sausage in a large pot, drain, then stir in some fresh minced garlic (K09) and diced onion (K05) :D . To that I will add the sauce (ususally 2 jars better the 2nd day), a large can of crushed tomatoes, a pack of sliced shrooms and some fresh basil growing in the back yard. Let it simmer a while, mmm good, quick, easy, and tasty. My wife and I prefer a good ciabatta with garlic butter rather than frozen garlic bread. Add a nice salad with homemade dressing (olive oil, rice vinegar, dijon mustard, a bit of honey) and........ dern, I'm gettin hongry. :)
Ahh yes!
I always add hamburger too.
Sometimes we prepare ours the same way. Much better too!
supracor

Post by supracor »

bryan123 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:54 pm
Bertoli and Barilla aren't bad and are recommended by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
They are sh¡t, but not only these, all sauces in jar are almost disgusting. Without reserve.
When i haven't got tomatoes, i make Salmì, that is composed of Montepulciano wine, hare meat, carrots, onions and various spices.

I know what I'm talking about because I'm Italian and I eat spaghetti 5 times a week.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Boy, nothing like a good jar a Ragu, Bertoli, or Barilla and whatever spaghetti is on sale :D
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

supracor wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:22 pm
I know what I'm talking about because I'm Italian ....
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
supracor

Post by supracor »

^What is that? :D
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

supracor wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:22 pm
bryan123 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:54 pm
They are sh¡t, but not only these, all sauces in jar are almost disgusting. Without reserve.
When i haven't got tomatoes, i make Salmì, that is composed of Montepulciano wine, hare meat, carrots, onions and various spices.

I know what I'm talking about because I'm Italian and I eat spaghetti 5 times a week.
Hare meat? I’ve never had that!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

supracor wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:08 am
^What is that? :D
A knowledgeable Italian man relaxing. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
supracor

Post by supracor »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:36 am
Hare meat? I’ve never had that!
Sometimes I use the rabbit, but the hare has that wild taste :rolleyes:

You can use all the wild meat for Salmí: deer, wild boar, blackbird, fox, badger, squirrel; if you don't have anything else, also crows are fine, but you don't have to eat their meat because it's hard as a tire :)
supracor

Post by supracor »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:02 am
A knowledgeable Italian man relaxing. :)
I've never seen similar people here :D
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I actually prefer to add sausage to my sauce. It really makes a big difference. Even breakfast sausage like Tennessee Pride goes good in the sauce. I usually grind my own pork with my meat grinder, add my spices and lots of cayenne pepper.

I've had rabbit, rattlesnake, and deer in spaghetti sauce, but I prefer ground beef or pork sausage.

Speaking of rattlesnake, there used to be a restaurant outside of Des Moines that served rattlesnake ravioli, and all sorts of wild game. If I remember correctly, it was an old train station made into a restaurant.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Crux

Post by Crux »

I tend to find the brands that are closer to what I want and then I spice them up the rest of the way. The only time I make my own sauce is for lasagna which is my specialty. I use tomatoes from Italy (canned) and cook the sauce with a medley of ingredients for around 5 hours, low and slow. I then add cooked ground rib-eye and italian sausage in to the sauce as well as a good amount of cheese in the sauce. I use 9 different cheeses including a cottage cheese/ricotta/parmesan mix that I blend together. I started doing this because some people don't like the curds and some don't like the graininess of ricotta. This way it's a smooth and delicious cheese layer. Then I try to get at least 5 or 6 layers with cheese on the top. Oh, and there are no low fat products used in this.

No real Italian reading this will say this is italian lasagna and they would be right. The truth is that this is way better. :)
Attachments
Lasagna_.jpg
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Crux

Post by Crux »

A slice
Attachments
slice_.jpg
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek: