2 weeks edc serrations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Skoalart

2 weeks edc serrations

Post by Skoalart »

So I have been carrying my Endura 4 combo edge for 2 weeks now. I carry it on my right side so I reach for it first. I have been trying to give serrated blades a fair trial and I am still where I started. I could do without them. I like my two militarys (one in cpm m4 and the other in s110v) I really like everything about those knives so much more. I am going to continue to carry my Endura for another 2 weeks so I can say I gave a full 30 days. I just don't see myself liking them more. Yes I sharpen the serrations to shaving sharp. Any thoughts?
Bloke

Re: 2 weeks edc serrations

Post by Bloke »

Only thing I can think ... if you're carrying it in your front right pocket, slip one of those Millie's in your back right pocket. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Ric

Post by Ric »

Serrations look cool but for me they are not useful.
They do not cut so clean.
I only need my knife seldom in the office or at home for minor tasks.

I do not deal with my ropes or fibers.

So I understand you fully!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I've come to appreciate them more, but nothing beats a sharp plain edge.
- best wishes, Jazz.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

My thinking is you will tend to think about that plain edge portion if that's your go to. If it was a full SE perhaps you perhaps you would get to experience it differently
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

Outside of gardening, I seldom use serrations and even then I often prefer my Otter messer.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I love spyderedges and I allways have some teeth on me. I allways said that a properly sharpened spyderedge can do things a plain edge does but not the other way around. Enough said :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I used to stay away from Spyderedges, but they've grown on me over the years. I actually find that I prefer them after they've seen some wear. They just seem to cut even better after the points have rounded a little bit.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've been carrying an Autonomy for work now for a couple weeks. I really haven't seen any real negatives. If they're just as sharp as my PE blades then they cut just as clean unless I'm cutting something snaggy like fabric but that's a really uncommon thing for me to cut. For me there's really only one major down side to SE and that's carving sticks or cutting through ~1 inch branches, they just don't slice the same and there are times when I do need to clear out brush at work. I can get by with either just fine for general EDC. I do like knowing if I'm in an emergency I think the SE is going to bite and cut far more aggressively and the chances of the blade slipping off what I'm cutting are next to none.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I have never been a huge fan of combo-edged knives, but really like both my PE & SE ones. I rarely leave home without an SE Endura in my pocket.

If you don't like CE or SE knives, Spyderco has plenty of PE options.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm thinking of picking up a matriarch to try out both a belly and a hawkbill in SE. Thoughts?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

curlyhairedboy wrote:I'm thinking of picking up a matriarch to try out both a belly and a hawkbill in SE. Thoughts?
The Lil Matriarch was my first reverse S blade and I fell in love with it after first use. I want to get my hands on an Emerson Matriarch sometime.
*Landon*
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

curlyhairedboy wrote:I'm thinking of picking up a matriarch to try out both a belly and a hawkbill in SE. Thoughts?
Capital Idea! Please report your findings.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I tried a SE Pacific Salt for two weeks and it sold me on serrations. For me the trick was making sure I got them hair whittling sharp just like my PE knives. That sharp my full SE knives push cut just as well as PE, and slice much more aggressively.

As long as the serrations are a pattern I can sharpen easily (not cold steel) I'm fine with PE, CE or SE in my knives.
:unicorn
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I worked in a warehouse for over ten years cutting all sorts of banding, shrink wrap and cardboard and could never learn to appreciate serrations. I can get them hair whittling sharp to the point that they are scary to touch yet for me they never performed as well as a plain edge. I tried a fully serrated Stretch repeatedly and every time went back to a plain edge.

In that setting I have yet to find a Spydie that outperformed my standard S30V Yojimbo. It is a box cutter on steroids and the compression lock made it very quick to draw, use and return to my pocket.

I do have the blue handled K04 Kitchen Utility and while for most things in the kitchen I prefer a plain edge I do really like that knife. It is my go to bagel splitter.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I worked in a warehouse for over ten years cutting all sorts of banding, shrink wrap and cardboard and could never learn to appreciate serrations. I can get them hair whittling sharp to the point that they are scary to touch yet for me they never performed as well as a plain edge. I tried a fully serrated Stretch repeatedly and every time went back to a plain edge.

In that setting I have yet to find a Spydie that outperformed my standard S30V Yojimbo. It is a box cutter on steroids and the compression lock made it very quick to draw, use and return to my pocket.

I do have the blue handled K04 Kitchen Utility and while for most things in the kitchen I prefer a plain edge I do really like that knife. It is my go to bagel splitter.

A lot of times the argument goes towards the potential situation where serrations might out perform PE, but a lot of times for me the argument is the opposite, while 99% of the time I think I'd be just fine with SE I worry about the few times when serrations become a hindrance, like cutting branches or carving something. The situations for and against each edge type seem to be just as equally unlikely to happen depending on what you're doing on a regular basis (obviously if you're going camping you're much more likely to need to carve wood). I've done a lot of really excessive work with knives cutting up bushes/branches/brush and that's one area where SE just do not get it done as well as PE. Gardening is a different story, smaller stems and vines are where SE really shines, but when it's time to cut through a 1 inch sapling it's far easier with PE. It might help if the serrations were cut on the back side of the blade (for a right handed person), at least then you could get the edge more flat on the branch and get it to bite better.
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:I worked in a warehouse for over ten years cutting all sorts of banding, shrink wrap and cardboard and could never learn to appreciate serrations. I can get them hair whittling sharp to the point that they are scary to touch yet for me they never performed as well as a plain edge. I tried a fully serrated Stretch repeatedly and every time went back to a plain edge.

A lot of times the argument goes towards the potential situation where serrations might out perform PE, but a lot of times for me the argument is the opposite, while 99% of the time I think I'd be just fine with SE I worry about the few times when serrations become a hindrance, like cutting branches or carving something. The situations for and against each edge type seem to be just as equally unlikely to happen depending on what you're doing on a regular basis (obviously if you're going camping you're much more likely to need to carve wood). I've done a lot of really excessive work with knives cutting up bushes/branches/brush and that's one area where SE just do not get it done as well as PE. Gardening is a different story, smaller stems and vines are where SE really shines, but when it's time to cut through a 1 inch sapling it's far easier with PE. It might help if the serrations were cut on the back side of the blade (for a right handed person), at least then you could get the edge more flat on the branch and get it to bite better.
I've often wished my serrations were on the back (non-bug) side of my blades. Specifically the Military & Catcherman. Others like my Ladyhawk don't seem to bother me
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:My thinking is you will tend to think about that plain edge portion if that's your go to. If it was a full SE perhaps you perhaps you would get to experience it differently
I'm kind of thinking along the same lines you're thinking Landon ;) Because not too often have I found combo edges to be what I need for a serrated cutting tool that I EDC on a daily basis. I carry two Spyders daily ( sometimes three) and lately I've been EDCing my hallowed M390 Military PE and my sacred ATS-55 era, full Spyderedged, stainless handled RESCUE model.

Because when I need a Spyderedge which is usually quite often I find that a full SE blade provides me a lot more versatility and overall cutting power than any combo edged blade does. Most of the time a combo edge just doesn't give me enough cutting edge to do what I need a Spyderedge for.

So you're really not being fair to yourself to judge a combo edge as being a fully serrated option in my humble opinion.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Combo edge isn't really giving SE a fair shake. You need a fully serrated model to really appreciate serrations.

I think putting SpyderEdge on a pocket knife is the greatest of Spyderco's innovations. I can't really think of a time I've ever wished I had a plain edge instead.

I think a lot of the issue stems from people trying to use SE like a saw. That's generally not what you want to do. Use it like a super PE blade.
Evil D wrote:when it's time to cut through a 1 inch sapling it's far easier with PE
And far, far easier with a machete :).
I EDC a Lil Matriarch frequently. It's great, very useful blade shape. Rarely do I have "hawkbill regret" on something I want to cut where the inward curving point is holding me back.

Most often these days a reverse S SE Meerkat is in my pocket. That's a fantastic blade shape for SE. I would love to see a larger version of it some day. Like a MegaMeerkat.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

zhyla wrote:
And far, far easier with a machete :).
And how does one EDC a machete?
~David