The One Last Chance Challenge!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

The One Last Chance Challenge!

Post by Surfingringo »

I guess if you are reading this then you have a collection of Spydercos. Some will have many more than others but I suspect most of the folks hanging out on this forum have more than a couple. If you are anything like me then you have a few favorites in your collection that see most of the pocket time. You might, though, also have one or two that have never quite made the cut.

Counting my many fixed blades I have about 25-30 Spydercos. I was looking through my collection today and I realized that I really like almost all of the models I own because I usually cull out anything that doesn't work for me. I took a critical look at my collection though to see if there was any model in there that I really just didn't like carrying...and I found one. For me it is the Native. I don't dislike the knife at all and it actually ticks off a lot of boxes that are important to me, but for some reason the model has just never resonated with me and I've never spent much time carrying it. Well, that is going to change. At least for this week. I am going to carry the Native everyday this week and perform as many tasks as I can with it. I feel like I haven't really given the model a proper chance so I'm going to give it one more go. I don't expect to feel radically different about the design by the end of the week but I have been surprised more than once by Spydercos that I didn't think I liked until I carried and used them for awhile, so we'll see.

So here is my challenge to you guys. Go through your collection and find that one Spyderco that you just never really connected with. Wipe the dust off that thing and stick in your pocket and carry and use it for a week. I think it would be cool if those who want to participate can post and say what Spydie you're giving another chance to and we can keep the thread updated as we carry and use these "least loved" Spydies. I bet at least one of us will have an epiphany before the challenge is over. Let's find out.

Here's a pic to illustrate both the knife I will be carrying and how lazy I am. ;)
Sharp Guy

Re: The One Last Chance Challenge!

Post by Sharp Guy »

^ Ha! Love the dog!

I need to think about this one. I've never really purchased a Spydie I didn't like. That's how I've ended up with a whole bunch. I guess I just like some a little more than others.

Edit: It might have to be the Stretch for me. It isn't that I don't like the knife (I have 2), it's more the size. I don't carry knives that big very often and when I do I usually opt for a PM2, Manix 2, or, GB. I guess I'll start using the Stretch during those larger carry times and see what happens.
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Sorry! Double post.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

For me it is the Native and PM2... sooner or later I'll go back to one of my Delicas.
I'll give it a go, I'll carry the SE Native.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I did this with the Delica and it worked. I shipped it down for a hiking trip in the Shenandoahs and it finally clicked with me. HAP40 in pocket today.

I'll look through the collection later and see if there's another to force upon myself. Para3 is the first that comes to mind. On paper I should like it, but it never makes it in my pocket.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Oddly enough the two just mentioned are probably my least favorite in my collection, I do have examples of both the native and endura but never carry either. For some reason I just never connected with the native, I have 3 I think, 2 carbon fiber s90v sprints and the burgundy forum,.

Maybe I'll follow your lead Lance and give the native a chance.

I have 4 endura's 2 super blue and 2 HAP40, acquired to complete sets, don't care for how they fit my hand, nice knives just off for me.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, as a general rule I don't own any that I've never connected with. But, I do make it a point to reevaluate my "collection" from time to time and carry knives that I haven't carried in a while. Lately it's been my Kiwi 4, and before that it was my Rock Lobster and before that it was my Centofante 4.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Let's see. Least carried is probably my Techno, but the knife definitely is one of my favorites. Not sure if I have anything that qualifies, currently.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

curlyhairedboy wrote:Let's see. Least carried is probably my Techno, but the knife definitely is one of my favorites. Not sure if I have anything that qualifies, currently.
Hey CHB, I'm curious, how is it one of your favorites and also your least carried? Not trying to challenge your assertion, I'm just genuinely curious how that happens. There is always a direct correlation between how much I "like" a knife and how often I carry it.
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Sage 1 for me. It was my second Spyderco and now I have well over 30. I carried it maybe 3 times. Every time I knock the dust off I can't help but notice how great of a piece it is. I will make it a point to pocket this guy.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Surfingringo wrote:
curlyhairedboy wrote:Let's see. Least carried is probably my Techno, but the knife definitely is one of my favorites. Not sure if I have anything that qualifies, currently.
Hey CHB, I'm curious, how is it one of your favorites and also your least carried? Not trying to challenge your assertion, I'm just genuinely curious how that happens. There is always a direct correlation between how much I "like" a knife and how often I carry it.
It sees some weekly pocket time on the weekends, especially during the summer. It's just during the week that I have my usual workday EDC rotation.

It's mostly about what needs cutting and how long of a blade I need for it. I like the Techno as a whittler especially, where a 3.5 inch blade is less useful.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
mattman

Post by mattman »

Surfingringo wrote:
For me, I have several like this (knives I love, yet rarely carry) ... A few examples, Caly 3.5, all the Sage series, especially 1, 2, and 5, Steve Butchers magnificent Grind-Mod Delica... Here's the thing... I wouldn't carry anything else, ever. These knives are the "absolutes" in my collection, and I have no faults with any of them, so I often carry others, to try and see if any others pass muster... (Currently the Manix 2LW Maxamet is getting *very* close...)

I am often surprised that I don't reach for them more, but, truthfully, the difference between these, and the rest is sooo close, that I need to carry the rest, to really make sure...

There are only a couple that have never really clicked with me in some way, but, coincidentally, the Native 5 is one for me, as well, that never really "spoke" to me (aside from the crazy-cool lock tolerances).
I'll throw it in the pocket again for a while, and see where we get...

Cool thread!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Thanks CHB and Mattman. Good explanations. I think I tend to judge my favorites as the ones I enjoy using the most (which also means those are the ones I'll be carrying). Both or your viewpoints make total sense though.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Surfingringo wrote:

An example for me might be the Nilakka or even my Caly 3. I'll never part with either but I don't carry them much. Part of it is sentimental value, part is just plain old cool factor.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Reading your thread has reminded me I go through these mental refresher periods from time to time Lance. In light of your challenge my once favorite LBK is the one I'm going to try and fall for all over again, the Dragonfly 2. I have a FEW examples and rarely carry them like I once did. Tomorrow will change that, but I am going to miss carrying my Caly and Caly Jrs.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Great idea, Lance. In a way, I've already done this twice. One of my early Spydie purchases was a blue Delica 3. It just never made the rotation and ended up living in the Spydie drawer (aka, the sock drawer), unloved. Years later, I needed a knife that wouldn't be too heavy for the flimsy pockets of some shorts I bought. Out came the Delica, off came the clip, and I discovered what a great slicer this knife is.

Second time, I purchased a 2000 forum Military with the intent of making it my primary carry, but I just never "felt it" and off to the Spydie drawer it went. Recently purchased a CQI blurple Military and love it.
attila

Post by attila »

This is a great challenge!

I have two that I just don't like at all.

1. A green VG-10 Delica I received as a warranty replacement for my original CE saber ground Delica just never did click with me. I didn't realize it until recently, but I have zero love for VG-10. It's action is also not perfectly smooth, so I haven't enjoyed it... I'll give it a shot.

2. C139 Breeden Rescue - pointy blade.
I really liked this one when I first got it in 2015, but I then learned much more about steels and sharpening, and it fell out of favor. The action is fine, and the build quality is fine. As stated above, VG-10 is uninteresting to me, and this one has the added drawback of being a linerlock knife. I had a linerlock fail and nearly ruin my right index finger, so I don't really trust them anymore.

I'll have to carry these two again and see if I can rekindle some love for them. I hope to feel a connection with both since they are good knives that I simply haven't connected with.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Donut

Post by Donut »

Surfingringo wrote:
I'm not CHB, but I have a techno and I love the build quality, I love that big chunk of XHP, I don't want to think about selling my Techno, but I've only ever carried it once. =\

The angles of opening the Techno, I always seemed to catch my thumb on that thumb cutout corner.

I enjoy the Roc and the Roc would give me a smile when I remembered that it was in my pocket, but it isn't the most useful design.

The Starmate production seemed to be cursed with an improperly placed detent hole, I feel like that model could have been much more awesome than it appeared.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Probably have to say my black FRN Dragonfly. Sort of sentimental as I bought it with Christmas money from my wife's Grandfather right before he passed. WW2 Vet and a super nice guy. Was looking for a smaller EDC than my Delica, and since the Jester sprint didn't work out, I figured I'd try the Dragonfly. Nice knife, but my dislike of choils probably colors my decision. One day I'll probably give it to my wife as a gift.
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

For me it would be the cricket. I had the SE version but lost it at some point. I replaced it with this PE version and never really enjoyed it much which is why it has been in the drawer for a while. It won't be my only knife for the week, but it will be my primary especially for the office. A few passes on the sharpmaker and it will be good to go.

Just sold my Techno today. It has been in a drawer unloved for far too long.