Ronin 2: Does it hold up in reverse grip?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knifestyle

Ronin 2: Does it hold up in reverse grip?

Post by Knifestyle »

After mostly working in an ice-pick grip style for most of my training background, I'm getting back into MBC and gaining a new appreciation for its fundamentals and values. I'm signing on for a few months of weekly sessions training the system around the basic Delica platform, but having trained alongside a few MBC instructors I know firsthand that the Ronin and Yojimbo are unmatched at cutting. Thinking long-term as my finances get better, is the Ronin 2 best suited for the MBC Filipino grip? My original style is primarily reverse grip edge-in with a little edge-out for thrust based movements, and I've been carrying a Clinch Pick which is of course hammer grip-edge in for clinch work. Is the Ronin comfortably functional in these other grips, or am I signing on for a dedicated saber-grip cutter?
vivi

Re: Ronin 2: Does it hold up in reverse grip?

Post by vivi »

It works well in either reverse grip for me. For a dedicated edge in reverse grip knife I'd get a recently discontinued reverse, but its tough to be the ronin 2 for versatility.

I can take photos or shoot a short video showing grips if you'd like.
:unicorn
Knifestyle

Post by Knifestyle »

My crew loves the Reverse, insane cutter and the best for that grip we've found outside of customs. The snag is, I'm looking for something that is also functional in MBC as well as daily use. A jack-of-all trades, rather than a dedicated pikal or saber grip blade.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I can't speak for the Ronin, but the Yojimbo 2 works in reverse grip.
Here's a few in hand pics, hope that helps.
20171031_154550.jpg
20171031_154531.jpg
20171031_154500.jpg
20171031_154448.jpg
20171031_154510.jpg
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Knifestyle wrote:My crew loves the Reverse, insane cutter and the best for that grip we've found outside of customs. The snag is, I'm looking for something that is also functional in MBC as well as daily use. A jack-of-all trades, rather than a dedicated pikal or saber grip blade.
The ronin 2 should work well then. I recently purchased one and I've been carrying it every day as a utility knife. The blade shape works great for utility work, the handle being right next to the cutting edge gives great leverage, and it carries very well. Dead simple to sharpen too.
:unicorn
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Knifestyle:

If you're hanging around with MBC types, you should have no problem arranging to handle a Ronin 2 or at least a Yojimbo 2 before you buy. The fit of a knife in your own hand is always the final word.

If you can still find them, the Kalista II that I designed for BlackHawk was specifically designed to work in all grips and its TCCS sheath system is probably the most versatile production system ever made. Sadly, BlackHawk was never really committed to producing and selling knives, so it never got much attention.

Thanks for your interest in Spyderco and MBC!

Stay safe,

Mike
Knifestyle

Post by Knifestyle »

Mr. Janich, I'm based in Chicago and you can likely guess my company. Attended your seminar last year, hope to make it out to train with you in the future.

Just had an MBC sharp throw me something. They simply suggested a discontinued but on-sale Reverse...and hold it in Filipino grip. With a few people owning both in this thread, and the co-designer himself present, how well would the Reverse hold up if I wanted to use it for MBC cutting? By all means the Wharnecliffe may not be matched, but is this a solid trade-off?