Golden era of JD Spydo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Candyman

Golden era of JD Spydo

Post by Candyman »

Just going back over old threads and comments and "golden era" has been one of my favorite topics. Thank you JD Spydo for all the great stuff that you've contributed over the years. When it's all said and done there is no better source than the forum.

Rich
Think for yourself
Candyman

Re: Golden era of JD Spydo

Post by Candyman »

If you don't believe me or a are new just type it in the search. A world of knowledge from everyone in every post that has this title and JD is in the mix of every one.
Think for yourself
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

Richierich252000 wrote:Just going back over old threads and comments and "golden era" has been one of my favorite topics. Thank you JD Spydo for all the great stuff that you've contributed over the years. When it's all said and done there is no better source than the forum.

Rich
I know for me i always got a lot of enjoyment out of any discussion JD Spydo was involved in. He brings a certain flavor to the dicussions that is just flat out enjoyable :D
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

He's a role model for any enthusiast :D :spyder:
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

JD is indeed a guy I'd enjoy sitting down to a cup of coffee with but I do differ on the Golden age timeline. IMO things have never been better than the last 3 years .

Joe
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

I tought as long as Spyderco exists the Golden era has been always been there.... :rolleyes:
jdw

Post by jdw »

Nice post. JD Spydo has a wealth of Spydie knowledge without being pretentious or contentious. Reading his posts is one of the reasons that I quit lurking and joined the board. And as already stated, I wish that I could bottle some of his enthusiasm. He has enough to go around. :p
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Mastiff wrote:JD is indeed a guy I'd enjoy sitting down to a cup of coffee with but I do differ on the Golden age timeline. IMO things have never been better than the last 3 years .
Hey I'll second that :) Actually I'm having a really good cup of "Trader Joe's" Breakfast Blend coffee as we speak. Yeah I grind my own beans with a German made Coffee Bean grinder that I got recently.

As far as the "GOLDEN AGE Of Spyders" subject goes I know that there are several Spyder time slots that some people like better than other periods of progression that we've all seen the Great Spyder Factory progress through. And I can really appreciate the unbelievable progress that Spyderco has accomplished as a company in the past 8 years or so. But it is incredible when you think about how many of the Spyders from the GOLDEN ERA 1998-2003 are still being talked about to this present day. And try buying one for a good price :rolleyes: I rest my case on GOLDEN ERA models ;)

But we are indeed going through GoLDEN ERA 2 at this present time IMO. Just from a progression of better blade steels and overall quality there is certainly a case to be made there. But I still maintain that the GOLDEN ERA 1998-2003 set the stage for what we are witnessing at this present time. So if you like this Era better then you can thank the GOLDEN ERA for paving the way.

I sincerely thank all you Brothers & Sisters for allowing me to be part of an awesome community :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The funny thing about "the good old days" is you never know you're living in them at the moment. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say. It's a shame how many models come and go only to be realized years later after you can't buy them anymore.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:The funny thing about "the good old days" is you never know you're living in them at the moment. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say. It's a shame how many models come and go only to be realized years later after you can't buy them anymore.
And you know something EVIL D??? I might just be agreeing with you guys and eating crow in two to three years from now (GOD willing). And I might just be eating my crow "medium rare" :rolleyes: :D But all of that rhetoric aside there had to be a precedent for what you all like at this present time and I don't think there will be too many that will argue that point.

Maybe in the not so distant future the Pattada might just be regarded as the "new JD Smith". Or maybe the Lil Nilakka might just be seen as the "new Calypso Junior". Actually I want to get my hands on one of those and there aren't too many short bladed models that flip my switch in the "ON" position.

Yeah we might just be entering into GOLDEN ERA 2>> and hey if I do have to consume some crow at that point then all I can say is "Hand Me The A-1 Sauce" :cool:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Tabasco sauce is better when you need to cover the taste :)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

toomzz wrote:I tought as long as Spyderco exists the Golden era has been always been there.... :rolleyes:
That's an interesting take on it "toomzz" :) Because there could be a case to be made that any 5 year period since 1995 could be labeled a GOLDEN ERA. It would matter as to which group of Spyderco models you just happen to like the best at any given time period.

I've even given thought to adding the year 2004 to what I've already declared to be the GOLDEN ERA 1998-2003>> reason being is that there are some really coveted models that came from the 2004 catalog. Some of the ones I'm speaking of are the IMPALA, TEMPERANCE 1 fixed blade model, The SPYDERSAW, and the Spyderco butterfly knife also made it's debut at that point in time.

My second pick would be this present time going back to 2012>> there has indeed been a lot of new models and great improvements on existing models during that time slot as well. If you want to base it on innovations and better materials then the recent past 4 to 6 years are the best from that standpoint.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I feel JD is one of the greats! I have to say he has really been a positive force on these forums. I always read his posts and appreciate all he has to offer. Plus, I agree with him on a lot!!! :)

Keep up the good work my friend.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

JD likes to call Paul the mayor of Spyderville. If that is true then JD is the Treasurer or Head of Public Relations or something like that.

He is always polite and respectful and his enthusiasm is contagious. Truly an asset to the forum. Like the Mastiff said, I would sit down and have a cup of coffee with JD and talk Spydies any day.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

2015-Present : The Platinum Era of Spyderco :spyder:

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:2015-Present : The Platinum Era of Spyderco :spyder:
That's one cool. colossal comeback "ZROW" :) But it only stands to reason that if we indeed did have a GOLDEN ERA ( which we did ) then maybe it is high time for a PLATINUM ERA :cool:

Actually I think you could extend it all the way back to at least 2012 or 2013 or so. Especially with some of those extra beefy folders we had like the K-2 and Slyz Bowie and a couple of others I could mention.

One very well hidden jewel is that Lil Nilakka >> I'm going to have one of those little bombers before the month is out. Steady as she goes Mr. Spock :cool:
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I agree 2012-2015 was the beginnings of the Platinum Era, but man right around the 40th Anniversary, Spyderco took it to a new level. (IMHO)

I would accept 2012-Present as the Platinum Era of Spyderco :D

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

bearfacedkiller wrote:JD likes to call Paul the mayor of Spyderville. If that is true then JD is the Treasurer or Head of Public Relations or something like that.

He is always polite and respectful and his enthusiasm is contagious. Truly an asset to the forum. Like the Mastiff said, I would sit down and have a cup of coffee with JD and talk Spydies any day.
Spot on Darby! :)

If there ever was a Spyderville Ball I can see JD as the Master of Ceremony, resplendent in his tuxedo, welcoming all at arrival with a smile and warm hand shake in his friendly manner, guiding people to their table, introducing guests and presiding over all formal matters with an easy grace. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
pete bogman

Post by pete bogman »

The Golden Era. When micarta was king!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:JD likes to call Paul the mayor of Spyderville. If that is true then JD is the Treasurer or Head of Public Relations or something like that.

You're much too kind Brother Darby :) and it's true that Paul/Deacon is indeed the Mayor of Spyderville. If I have an encyclopedic knowledge of Spyders then Brother Paul most certainly has a MainFrame Computer knowledge of them :cool:

Public Relations Director??!! Hey bring it on!!! I would love to have a PUBLIC RELATIONS job representing the Great Spyder Factory :cool: I could be General Glesser's equivalent as a White House Aid :D . Yep I would eat, breathe and sleep and only dream of Spyderco's finest superior products that do remind you of a regal product line up.

I would have Brothers Archimedes and Marcus H from Germany as my official Spyder ambassadors :cool: Get out of the way President TRUMP because the SPYDERS ARE COMING!!! :D :rolleyes: