comparisons

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
biggee

comparisons

Post by biggee »

I have a Persistence, China made, and a UKPK from Golden USA and cant' make my mind as to which is the better knife. The persistence opens and closes very smoothly but the UKPK is stiffer to open and close, but does this with more " authority " and resounding click, if you get my meaning. I am still new to collecting Spiderco's so the respective steels of these blades mean nothing to me. Any thoughts guys ?
ZrowsN1s

Re: comparisons

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I don't own either, but I'm a big fan of Goldens work. Haven't handled any of the china models yet.
What steel is the ukpk?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Afterman

Post by Afterman »

The slipjoint is tougher to open because it's designed to snap shut around halfway closed, and snap into place when fully opened. It's trying to close itself when you're initially opening it, and trying to keep itself open when you start closing it, so it won't feel as smooth.

Liner locks don't act that way, it won't fight you when you open it. Very easy and smooth to open and close.
biggee

Post by biggee »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I don't own either, but I'm a big fan of Goldens work. Haven't handled any of the china models yet.
What steel is the ukpk?
CTS BD1
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Apples and oranges comparison. Any slipjoint is going to be stiffer than a Walker style liner lock. Midlocks will also require more effort to open and close than Walker, Reeve Integral, compression, and ball bearing locks. OTOH, slipjoints and midlocks have a much stronger "bias to closing" and are therefor less likely to open accidentally in your pocket or be viewed as "flick knives".
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
biggee

Post by biggee »

The Deacon wrote:Apples and oranges comparison. Any slipjoint is going to be stiffer than a Walker style liner lock. Midlocks will also require more effort to open and close than Walker, Reeve Integral, compression, and ball bearing locks. OTOH, slipjoints and midlocks have a much stronger "bias to closing" and are therefor less likely to open accidentally in your pocket or be viewed as "flick knives".
Thanks for that comment
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you really like your UKPK and want a similar silky smooth action like the Persistence, find yourself a Caly 3.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

Evil D wrote:If you really like your UKPK and want a similar silky smooth action like the Persistence, find yourself a Caly 3.
The Calys are sweet.
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V