Dream knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
murphjd25

Re: Dream knife

Post by murphjd25 »

I won't be able to whip out my debit card fast enough when that Swayback comes out!!
Josh
AlwaysTomboy

Post by AlwaysTomboy »

bh49 wrote:contoured Giraffe bone ss bolstered Caly3 with 2mm thin blade
Ancient Ivory micarta Shabaria
Cage Ball lock Lil Native (FFG no swedge 2.5" long, 2 mm thick blade)
malachite clipless Kopa, no dent, 2 mm stock blade
Any of the bolded, yes, please!
ChrisinHove wrote:Hmmm .... drop point Caly 3, linen micarta scales, .... maybe s90v
^ or this. Or any Caly 3 variant but with screwed instead of pinned construction and any non-laminated carbon steel.

My boyfriend would like a 3 foot long sword. :p :o
(Sent from iPod)
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

This is an excellent topic question!

I mean, the Fish Hunter pretty much satisfies this for me, but, I have in my mind's eye as they say, envisioned some Salt fixed blade knife with other blade shapes, like a Spear Point version somewhere between the Fish Hunter and the older satin bladed Aqua Salt.

Also, I was thinking along these lines, and I would definitely like feedback on this: What about some form of Spyderco Folder that can be locked into place and be almost as strong as a fixed blade, and, made of Salt materials like lc200n or H1 stainless, and when opened or maneuvered, automatically discharges any collected grit or gunk in the blade mechanisms? What do you think of the possibility of such a mechanism?

Another idea and option would be a Salt version of the original D`Allara.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I actually have two Spyderco "dream Knives" at this time>> first and foremost I would like a model C-60 Ayoob in plain edge with M390 and to have a Spyderedged back up unit also in the C-60 Ayoob model as well in full SE with XHP blade steel. Oh a G-10 handle will be fine unless Spyderco would be in a really exotic mood and use a titanium alloy handle :cool:

Oh I do have a "dream Knife" in the HaRD UsE category>> I would love a Salt Dyad, full sized similar to the C-44 model with LC200N blade steel on the plain edged blade and H-1 on the Spyderedged blade. Oh I will need something to attach a lanyard to because that is the only complaint I've ever had with the C-44 Dyad model is that it doesn't have a lanyard attachment. OK I'll put the rest of my Spyder-Dreams on hold for right now. But I definitely want those two and preferably before Christmas of 2017 :cool:
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

Doc Dan wrote:
ejcr98 wrote:DF2 in Delica 4 blue with Lc200n blade plain edge. Mini Sage 5 with a blade length of 2.45" in M390, as my federal facilities knife.
Spyderco has a hole in their product line in the 2.45 to 2.6" offerings. I prefer the 2.6" my self, and that is one reason I like ULW K390. But, there is nothing currently in the product line is higher end steels in the range we are talking about in a back lock. There is the Cat, of course, but it is longer than you need and while the G10 is really nice, the blade is BD-1, good, but nothing special.

In the mean time, why don't you look for a Nishijin Dragonfly. This is one of the nicest small knives anywhere.
I agree with you that Spyderco has a hole in its line in the range between the DF2 (2.25" blade length) and the Chaparral (2.75" approx.). One of the few knives in between is the Cat and I agree with you that it is more of a value folder.

I am an attorney so I go to court and government facilities with relative frequency. U.S. Federal facilities have a blade length limit of less than 2.5" which means that even the current model of the Cat (I believe it has a listed blade length of 2.5" or a tad more) is not allowed unless otherwise authorized (e.g. Security and maintenance personnel, etc.).

That is why I would love for Spyderco to make a mini Sage 5 or a little Native with a compression lock, with blade lengths just under 2.5" (say between 2.45 and 2.48") and peel plt CF scales like the Sage 5's in a premium steel like M390. For me that would be the perfect gentleman's edc and office pocket knife. It would go well with a suit or with dress pants and even with jeans and a dress shirt for dinner with the wife at a less formal restaurant.

I have the DF2 in ZDP-189, which will have to do for now and which I love.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

ejcr98 wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
ejcr98 wrote:DF2 in Delica 4 blue with Lc200n blade plain edge. Mini Sage 5 with a blade length of 2.45" in M390, as my federal facilities knife.
Spyderco has a hole in their product line in the 2.45 to 2.6" offerings. I prefer the 2.6" my self, and that is one reason I like ULW K390. But, there is nothing currently in the product line is higher end steels in the range we are talking about in a back lock. There is the Cat, of course, but it is longer than you need and while the G10 is really nice, the blade is BD-1, good, but nothing special.

In the mean time, why don't you look for a Nishijin Dragonfly. This is one of the nicest small knives anywhere.
I agree with you that Spyderco has a hole in its line in the range between the DF2 (2.25" blade length) and the Chaparral (2.75" approx.). One of the few knives in between is the Cat and I agree with you that it is more of a value folder.

I am an attorney so I go to court and government facilities with relative frequency. U.S. Federal facilities have a blade length limit of less than 2.5" which means that even the current model of the Cat (I believe it has a listed blade length of 2.5" or a tad more) is not allowed unless otherwise authorized (e.g. Security and maintenance personnel, etc.).

That is why I would love for Spyderco to make a mini Sage 5 or a little Native with a compression lock, with blade lengths just under 2.5" (say between 2.45 and 2.48") and peel plt CF scales like the Sage 5's in a premium steel like M390. For me that would be the perfect gentleman's edc and office pocket knife. It would go well with a suit or with dress pants and even with jeans and a dress shirt for dinner with the wife at a less formal restaurant.

I have the DF2 in ZDP-189, which will have to do for now and which I love.
Sal responded to a post I made a couple of months ago about the ULW being made in a back lock. He said that would be a Caly 2.5 and so that got me to hoping this is coming.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bh49

Post by bh49 »

ejcr98 wrote: I go to court and government facilities with relative frequency. U.S. Federal facilities have a blade length limit of less than 2.5"
Keep your eye on MeerKat sprint. 2", super cool lock
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

JD Spydo wrote:I actually have two Spyderco "dream Knives" at this time
Joe,
You are lucky boy. :) I have only one 2013 Forum Native.
Actually I also have two, but both of them are the same.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
elena86

Post by elena86 »

XL Dragonfly2 with a CPM-Cruwear 2.8-2.9 inch blade.
pftbahaa

Post by pftbahaa »

Lip opener, wide but thin leaf-shaped blade ~3.25", S110v, shiny satin or close to mirror finish and full flat grind, functional with spydie hole as well. Marbled CF handles (not completely contoured, but not as square as PM2 handles) with a wire clip and compression lock, and with a sleek, smooth look when closed up. Toss in a generous finger choil and I'm drooling at the thought...
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

A Caly 2.5 would be super cool. Definite buy.

A Calypso LW with the 3.75 blade, add jimping.

A Paramilitary 2 with a blade length around 3.7inches, along with an improved blade/handle ratio
OR
An Endura with same blade length, but with the pointy tip, no hump. G10 and keep the back lock.

I really like the Endura's blade length.
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

Manix 2 LW:
- improved for for a friendlier waistband carry
- 1mm smaller diameter spyder-hole, for a narrower leaf shaped blade
- drop the hole 1mm down into the handle to further streamlining
- soften the edges similar to the Stretch 2

Stretch 2 "Premium":
- lighter weight, increased corrosion resistance
- eliminate the G10, for real carbon fiber scales w/ peel-ply textured surface
- thinner steel liners, w/greater skeletonization
- all hardware made of H1 steel
- wire clip
- S110V blade of course
GIGANTORE

Post by GIGANTORE »

Would LOVE to see an XL model of the Roc. Big blade and all. If weight is a consideration, titanium.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Laminated 10v pm2
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

Doc Dan wrote:

I would actually love to see a couple of higher-end versions of the Cat. A blurple S110V Cat would be sweet as would a version with S35VN and high-end G10.

The Cat already has the < 2.5" blade (barely!) and the great deep-carry clip with a popular blade shape. If it were more of a premium offering, would we all buy it? Think about a Maxamet version as a box cutter ...... awesome! So would an FRN version with XHP! Make a back lock version or make a Caly 2.5!
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A Caly 2.5 is just the thing. (or a 2.6). It would have a backlock. I have my ULW in my pocket, now. It is a great size for a dedicated pocket knife, and is a bit more size efficient than the Cat (though I also like the Cat).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

EmperorMA wrote:
The Cat already has the < 2.5" blade (barely!) and the great deep-carry clip with a popular blade shape. If it were more of a premium offering, would we all buy it? Think about a Maxamet version as a box cutter ...... awesome! So would an FRN version with XHP! Make a back lock version or make a Caly 2.5!
The Spyderco website lists the Cat's blade length as less than 2.5" or 62mm but the catalog lists it as 2.5" or 64mm (which is actually more than 2.5").

The difference for me is important because it can turn the Cat from a no-go to a viable alternative until a more premium choice is available from Spyderco.

So the question is: what is the actual blade length of the Cat?
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

EmperorMA wrote:So would an FRN version with XHP!
A Cat in FRN and XHP would be so awesome!! Have there been any FRN liner locks before?
Gravedigger

Post by Gravedigger »

Phil Wilson Fillet knife
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

I would also like a blacked out FFG Delica with DLC blade, black FRN and black hardware.. Or the same treatment for a Dragonfly..