Leaf shape vs modified drop point blade shape

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Leaf shape vs modified drop point blade shape

Post by elena86 »

It would be interesting to know why some favor one over the other.I was a huge fan of the " modified drop point " (Delica,Para2,Millie) blade shape but lately I started to apreciate the leaf shape a la Dfly.Man, I only wish they release an XL Dfly ! :cool: :spyder:

Marius
Last edited by elena86 on Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Deacon

Re: Leaf shape vs modified drop point blade shape

Post by The Deacon »

I like both, when done right. To my eyes, leaf seems to work best with a relatively low thumb ramp "hump" and/or shorter blades, while straight spine works better with more pronounced ramps and/or longer blades. C52 Calypso Jr looks great, C54 Calypso looks imbalanced. What looks really wrong to my eyes, is the "almost straight spine with idiot proofed tip" on the current Delicas and Enduras.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I tend to agree with Deacon on the kindergarten scissors tip of some of the straight spined models but that is easy enough to fix with a grinder. I am not a fan of leaf shaped blades for a couple of reasons. First the profile is wider than what I like for most of my chores. Makes for a good slicer but I prefer a blade that is more nimble and can change directions during a cut. I also prefer straight spines (or VERY gradual and subtle drop points) as they work well in an "inside out" cut like I use often in fish or game processing or anytime i want to puncture something and push the knife along with the edge out, cutting through the outer layer. (Imagine running the spine along the surface of a cardboard box cutting through a heavy plastic wrapping).
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Horses for courses!

My PM2 tip wouldn't last long for me probing old oak beams, for example, whereas the "idiot proof tip" of my Delica SG is coping without damage. A full leaf shape here would just be a hindrance, whereas on my Urban EDC it makes perfect sense.

To me, large sized leaf shaped blades look a bit like garden trowels.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I like them both, but like the pointier tips more. I love the Delica's tip. Looks are important in the world today if you pull out that knife to use, and it looks a tad bit friendlier, plus it's stronger and still has plenty of point. So easy to mod if you want a point, its not even funny. Like Lance said, you can get in there and turn easier when cutting with the slimmer ones. Picture cutting circles out of cardboard.
- best wishes, Jazz.
ArmaliteKnight

Post by ArmaliteKnight »

Would it be reasonable to say the domino has a cross over type blade combining both of these features?
Spydies I own:
Domino Blue CF
K2 Farid Mehr Bowie
Delica 4 FRN w/Emerson wave
PM2 in digicam
Spyderfly balisong
Harpy SS
Matriarch2 FRN w/Emerson wave
GOD BLESS JOHN NOVESKE R.I.P
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I like both when done right. Aesthetically I think some knives look better one way or another. Performance wise you're getting a stronger tip with a leaf and perhaps a more nimble blade as Lance pointed out, but even that doesn't have to be true if the leaf shape is slender enough (aka Calypso). You could add some curve to the Military and make the blade a leaf shape without going so far that it significantly hindered how easily it turns in mid cut. I think the shorter and wider a blade gets the more it benefits from a straight spine vs a leaf shape in this regard.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I tend to not like large, wide, leaf shaped blades in general. I much prefer the utility of a drop point or clip point blade. Many of Spyderco's blades are too wide to do everyday things. I cannot use a Manix to carve a pumkin or open the mail, whereas I can use my Delica or Endura or Military easily. The new Jumpmaster 2 seems a bit too wide, but the Aqua Salt is just about right.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I also like both, even though bigger leafs do hog the pocket, and the longer straight spines do worry the public.

But I'm not concerned with such problems. I still enjoy my SuperLeaf, and the Police4 can't arrive soon enough. Fun for me is overcoming the limitations of fundamentally good designs.

I must say, however, the SpydieChef, having neither a leaf shape nor a straight spine, altogether avoids the problems I've mentioned.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

Leaf, particularly the Manix.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I have a slight preference towards the PM2/Military straight spine with sharp tip profile over the leaf shape. I love how the distal taper gives a very thin, pointed and maneuverable tip.

I like the leaf blades too. They are usually wider in pocket, with a less pronounced point, but it's not a train-smash.

I like and use both, but if I had to choose only one it would be the PM2/Military shape.

I am not fond of the Delica style dropped point.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Surfingringo wrote:I tend to agree with Deacon on the kindergarten scissors tip of some of the straight spined models but that is easy enough to fix with a grinder. I am not a fan of leaf shaped blades for a couple of reasons. First the profile is wider than what I like for most of my chores. Makes for a good slicer but I prefer a blade that is more nimble and can change directions during a cut. I also prefer straight spines (or VERY gradual and subtle drop points) as they work well in an "inside out" cut like I use often in fish or game processing or anytime i want to puncture something and push the knife along with the edge out, cutting through the outer layer. (Imagine running the spine along the surface of a cardboard box cutting through a heavy plastic wrapping).
I like straight spines for the same reason. "Inside out" is a good way to describe that sort of edge-out cut. The leaf shape is pretty but the straight spines offer better utility for my uses.
harronek

Post by harronek »

I've modified all my leaf shaped blades to a straight spine and couldn't be happier .
Here are a couple of examples

Resilience

Caly3.5 ZDP

Ken
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I like the aesthetics of a leaf over a drop-point. As for functionality, with similar geometry they are essentially the same.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Why would knives with long straight spines worry the public?

I would like to see a blade strength test between Leaf Shaped and Drop Point. Which do you think can handle more concentrated stress, all things being equal?
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I like them both, and haven't had any issues in performing my usual EDC tasks with either one. I do think the leafs are a bit better-looking aesthetically; they usually have a 50/50 choil and a thumb ramp, and with those and the overall blade shape it all looks very symmetrical. That's why I've never liked the way the Native looks, because to me it just looks "wrong" somehow without the thumb ramp.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Why would knives with long straight spines worry the public?

I would like to see a blade strength test between Leaf Shaped and Drop Point. Which do you think can handle more concentrated stress, all things being equal?
No idea. My guess is maybe a leaf shape is reminiscent of kitchen knives which are more common and thus less threatening to people than a "tactical knife". I can't say I've ever noticed a difference in how people react as far as blade shape goes but my experience with DLC is the opposite of what most people expect an "evil black tactical blade" to have. It seems to me that a black blade is more subdued and draws less attention than a shiny silver blade. Think of any slasher horror movie you've ever seen and there's probably a scene with the killer holding a blade reflecting light off it. I think that shiny reflection is instantly recognized as a weapon to anyone outside a kitchen. I barely got a second look from people at work when I carried a DLC Para 2.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David