Sub 2.5 Inch blades

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tstetz

Sub 2.5 Inch blades

Post by tstetz »

A buddy at work came up to me the other day asking if I knew of a USA made locking, one hand opener folder with pocket clip and blade under 3.5 inches, preferably under 2 inch. I gotta say he stumped me on that. The Spyderco Chicago and Cat sprung to mind first but they don't meet his Made in USA caveat. I did a bunch of digging and pretty much came up dry with the exception of one Spartan model.

I ended up lending him my Ambitious to tote around for a while and see is that general size is really what he wants. He's thinking about the Chicago since it doesn't look like he's going to find a US made folder that meets his tight criteria but he's going to see how the Ambitous works for him first.

It was interesting doing the research though that there aren't really a ton of locking, one hand opening knives in the sub 2.5 inch, let alone sub 2 inch range, regardless of where they are made at!
Tim
The Deacon

Re: Sub 2.5 Inch blades

Post by The Deacon »

tstetz wrote:It was interesting doing the research though that there aren't really a ton of locking, one hand opening knives in the sub 2.5 inch, let alone sub 2 inch range, regardless of where they are made at!
Which is probably a good indication there's not a huge demand for them since makers tend to build what sells.

Over the years Spyderco has offered quite a few knives with 2.5" or shorter blades, but none have been made in the USA, some have not had clips, and some have been non-locking. One thing I've found over the years is that, as comprehensive as Spyderco's selection if knives is, it's actually quite easy to build a set of criteria which none of them will match.

If he wants a sub 2.5" blade for legal reasons, rather than just compactness, an obvious workaround would be to purchase a Native V Lightweight and cut the blade down to 2.5" or less.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tstetz

Post by tstetz »

Probably true. I have to admit he kind of stumped me when he gave me his list of criteria. It was a very narrow range.

Actually my Protech Half Breed met most of his conditions, including UA made, but he didn't want an auto.
Tim
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Under 2.5" is hard.
The native 5 meets all of those but is 3".
Manix is only a little longer.
If he doesn't mind made outside us then he has lots of options dragonfly, dice, chubby, q ball, firefly.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Spyderco makes a few knives, with more coming, that are in the less than 2.5 inch blade range. The only company that I know of that makes USA made knives like this is Buck. They make several. However, with Spyderco you get better steel and better ergonomics in general. Spyderco makes the Dragonfly, Techno, Chubby (on clearance), Dice (actually 2.52" so may not work), Rhino (soon to be released), Manbug, Cat, Chicago, Ambitious, many in the Byrd line, and many more than I have listed.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Donut

Post by Donut »

As far as edge length goes, you have the Native.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
tstetz

Post by tstetz »

Yeah, steel quality was his other criteria. Which also made the search harder. I did bring up Buck but most were in 420HC or bigger than he wanted.

I think he's realized he's going to have to budge on the Made in USA criteria, although he can certainly still go with a US company like Spyderco.
Tim
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

One of my favorites that meets this criteria and can still be found once in a while is the old US model of the Meerkat. Sub 2 inch blade 440C and made in USA. This was my first Spyderco knife that then led me into the addiction.
Last edited by Qcrazy on Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

Just searched Ebay/ No affiliation, kind of high on price/ 332022126148
sal

Post by sal »

Erc's been working on a sub 3" Golden made folder. Designs and protos made. Waiting for a slot in the Golden queue. 3 have 3 new Golden made slotted for the next year. The Para 3 being of of them.

sal
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

You could try looking for a used Dodo
Fanch_Man

Post by Fanch_Man »

I hesitate to bring this up in the Spyderco forum, but it sounded like the question was open to any brands that fit the qualifications. That said, if price is no object, William Henry makes some small folders that could be viable options. Yes, they have some super expensive, super ornate (borderline gaudy) models, but their liner lock series from their early years had some "plainer" models. I had a T09-A Kestrel with titanium bolsters and jigged amber bone scales, and it was marvelous. Immaculate fit and finish, ultra smooth action, and a solid lock that felt like it could take a real workout if needed. They can be found at online auction for fair prices if you're patient. I'd say they're well worth consideration if the budget permits.

I'm beyond stoked at the prospect of more USA-made Spydies, particularly in the ~3" size range. Thanks for throwing us that bone, Sal!!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

IIRC Golden made Leaf Storm had a blade slightly under 2.5". S30V. It is discontinued, but I am sure it can be found.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
harronek

Post by harronek »

tstetz wrote:Yeah, steel quality was his other criteria. Which also made the search harder. I did bring up Buck but most were in 420HC or bigger than he wanted.

I think he's realized he's going to have to budge on the Made in USA criteria, although he can certainly still go with a US company like Spyderco.
If there is room to budge on the made in the USA , the Kahr Delica is a fantastic knife in my opinion .
Sure it's made in Seki , but it has a definate USA connection with Kahr Arms , and meets the 2.5 inch criteria.

Ken
bh49

Post by bh49 »

sal wrote:Erc's been working on a sub 3" Golden made folder. Designs and protos made. Waiting for a slot in the Golden queue. 3 have 3 new Golden made slotted for the next year. The Para 3 being of of them.

sal
Sir,

Great news. Is any chance for Lil Native?

R
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Looks like there's a Meetkat in HAP-40 coming out. The originals, in AUS-6M, are great, too. Spyderco Lava in VG-10 is a winner, too. Then there's the Dragonfly in all kinds of steels. And the great part is that Japan is close enough to America (we share the same ocean on the same planet and have complicated relationships with China - we're twinseys!).
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Awesome news, thanks Sal!
tstetz

Post by tstetz »

Good stuff Sal! Thanks for the heads up. If he doesn't want to go used market he could grab a Chicago for now and keep an eye out for Golden models in the future. I'll pass the info along.
Tim
jdw

Post by jdw »

bh49 wrote:IIRC Golden made Leaf Storm had a blade slightly under 2.5". S30V. It is discontinued, but I am sure it can be found.
Pretty sure that I just saw one sold on 'bay for around 200.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Tstetz,

Welcome to our forum.

sal