2016 Discontinued List

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: 2016 Discontinued List

Post by sal »

jabba359 wrote:
sal wrote:After some research, I decided it's a Stretch 2. The original Stretch was stainless with a Kraton inlay. The lightweight was THE SAME pattern as the original. The Brown G-10 version was a DIFFERENT PATTERN and is thus the "2". The new lightweight is the SAME PATTERN as the Brown G-10 version so it too is a "2".

sal
Whew! Thanks for clarifying! Now I can sleep at night. ;)
me too. :o

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

:D HaHaHa!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Thanks Sal, I've never held one of the stainless/Kraton examples and was happy with the brown G-10 being 2 -- but this confirmation should keep us natives from being restless for awhile :) And thanks Jabba, for all the work you do on the spydiewiki. It would be impossible for us info freaks to keep things straight without it.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
vivi

Post by vivi »

****, glad I picked up a Szabo folder this year.

Tempted to pick up another Police 3 in case I don't like the Police 4 as much. Got one in the pocket right now...its a classic.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

So the understated, underappreciated and unsung, but lovely, Kiwi 4 slips quietly away ... :(
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

sal wrote:After some research, I decided it's a Stretch 2. The original Stretch was stainless with a Kraton inlay. The lightweight was THE SAME pattern as the original. The Brown G-10 version was a DIFFERENT PATTERN and is thus the "2". The new lightweight is the SAME PATTERN as the Brown G-10 version so it too is a "2".

sal
Yes, thank you Sal. I was not seriously suggesting any renaming on your part. Rather, in saying "Why not call it the Stretch3?" I was throwing stones at the idea of customers coming up with their own names for your products. I may as well have said "You, as a customer and forum user, unilaterally decided to call the Stretch the 'Stretch2,' so why not continue in the same nonsensical manner?"

Since you've always had a sensible nomenclature, it is not helpful or reasonable for people to invent their own misnomers. I truly apologize if I caused confusion or consternation.

I just reinstated several of my "Stretches" (long story). If you keep making knives on this platform, I don't care what you call them, I will buy them.
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Okay, I updated the Spydiewiki to hopefully help clear up the confusion around the Stretch generational naming.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
BTG

Post by BTG »

Anyone get carried away here....I originally thought I wanted 1 off of this list....then I saw some of the discounts, too good to pass up....ended up with 8 of them...the wife is not happy with me...have to get out of the house for a bit....see ya in Golden this weekend, lol
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

BTG wrote:Anyone get carried away here....I originally thought I wanted 1 off of this list....then I saw some of the discounts, too good to pass up....ended up with 8 of them...the wife is not happy with me...have to get out of the house for a bit....see ya in Golden this weekend, lol
Can't imagine she will be any happier with you after your return from Golden :D I did grab a G10 Manbug, been a long time coming, what a great little Manbug, love the G10, reminds me a lot of the Jester, shoot, I'll probably grab a second one like it that much. There are two others I'm really thinking about grabbing also, the Police 3 and the Foundry.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

farnorthdan wrote:
BTG wrote:Anyone get carried away here....I originally thought I wanted 1 off of this list....then I saw some of the discounts, too good to pass up....ended up with 8 of them...the wife is not happy with me...have to get out of the house for a bit....see ya in Golden this weekend, lol
Can't imagine she will be any happier with you after your return from Golden :D I did grab a G10 Manbug, been a long time coming, what a great little Manbug, love the G10, reminds me a lot of the Jester, shoot, I'll probably grab a second one like it that much. There are two others I'm really thinking about grabbing also, the Police 3 and the Foundry.
The G10 Manbug is my biggest temptation, but have been avoiding it with all the newness dropping... Were you able to find a clearance price? :)

I grabbed a Foundry and it's really really nice.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I already had the foundry. Picked up the chubby, puuko, and recently the rubicon as they got marked down. Rubicon showed up today.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

abbazaba wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:
The G10 Manbug is my biggest temptation, but have been avoiding it with all the newness dropping... Were you able to find a clearance price? :)

I grabbed a Foundry and it's really really nice.
Knives plus $69.97, I was impatient as usual and grabbed mine as soon as I heard they were getting disco'd. I'm going to hold out bit longer before grabbing another, hoping we see even deeper cuts. I do have a $50 gift card burning a hole in my pocket from KnifeCenter though :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
BTG

Post by BTG »

farnorthdan wrote:

I know you got a couple more than that...I started with the K2, then Chubby, Police 3, Rubicon, Hungarian, Mike Draper, Battlestation....and finally a szabo folder......going to Golden now more for the fun of it...I haven't even got to the users I bought last year...and wouldn't put 2nds in collection....looking more at discounted #1's ...got the EDC GITD M2xl last year...one of my favorites all time...
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

BTG wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:

I know you got a couple more than that...I started with the K2, then Chubby, Police 3, Rubicon, Hungarian, Mike Draper, Battlestation....and finally a szabo folder......going to Golden now more for the fun of it...I haven't even got to the users I bought last year...and wouldn't put 2nds in collection....looking more at discounted #1's ...got the EDC GITD M2xl last year...one of my favorites all time...
You know it, I really should grab that Chubby before they disappear too, probably never carry it but will be kicking myself if I don't. Also glad I grabbed the EDC M2 XL's when they were cheap, we probably won't be seeing any more forum knives from there.

DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

BTG wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the Mike Draper. I thought it was a little garish and off-beat at first but handled one in a store several months ago and liked the feel of it. Don''t remember how the clip felt in hand, etc.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

The Draper is a interesting one..IIRC it was only out for about a year and was obviously a very slow seller to make the discoed list so soon..so there's probably not a lot of them out there.

Its only been discoed for a few months but the K2 has been slowly going up..that KC price is looking like it was a bargain..
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Picked up a Burch Chubby a while back and grabbed a Battlestation a couple months ago when it went on sale.....being saved for Christmas...both are amazing knives!
flatearth

Post by flatearth »

Red's Gear has a FRIDAY15, 15% off everything, code including spyderco knives still up and running.

They also have the Sage 3 for 49% off MSRP... combined with code and some points left over, I picked one up for $101 shipped.

Pretty nice deal!