2016 Discontinued List

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Re: 2016 Discontinued List

Post by twinboysdad »

dplafoll wrote:FYI, everyone, Mark's Outdoors in Vestavia Hills, AL has several of these in-stock:
Draper
Foundry
Battlestation
Kiwi4
Rubicon
Puuko
Dogtag Folder, though I can't remember if it's the disco'd DTF models or the ones that they're keeping.
Maybe a Jumpmaster? I'm honestly not as much into fixed blades, so I don't really remember which ones they have, but I think they have a JM.
Will add that Mark's doesn't discount them just because they are disco'ed but they don't mark them up either
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

SpeedHoles wrote:
Haven't heard much about the Foundry for a bit... and I guess that lead it here...
I really like the foundry. The stainless handles seems to have enough contour to not slip in the hand. The stainless doesn't scratch nearly as easily as ti. It is a bit heavier than most other spydercos but it also sits very flat in the pocket. It's one of my most used knives.

The puuko is also really nice. About the same size as a mule but much thinker, and heavier. The Scandinavian grind gets wickedly sharp. Glad I got these two when I could.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I hope we see another rendition of the Foundry. It is like a giant Manbug. I think people just are not that into steel handles. I realize the concept was to use all Carpenter materials but I think that steel handle killed it. The upswept tip may not have helped either though. I don't mind upswept tips but I could just never pony up that much money for a steel handled knife.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Bring on the deals
Agreed! Only problem is that the great close-out deals distract me from applying my resources to new releases!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

clovisc wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:Bring on the deals
Agreed! Only problem is that the great close-out deals distract me from applying my resources to new releases!
Closeout deals don't last forever but production releases stay MAP! :P
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

tvenuto wrote:Woe be unto he who misses the bolt action lock.

Mine shows no signs of wearing out but this makes me consider getting a back-up.

Question about this: Would you say if someone had to make a choice, and get one with the bolt action lock, or, wait and get one of the new Spyderco releases, it may be worth it to get the bolt action lock knife, simply because it is such a good design, and rare?
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

twinboysdad wrote:
dplafoll wrote:FYI, everyone, Mark's Outdoors in Vestavia Hills, AL has several of these in-stock:
Draper
Foundry
Battlestation
Kiwi4
Rubicon
Puuko
Dogtag Folder, though I can't remember if it's the disco'd DTF models or the ones that they're keeping.
Maybe a Jumpmaster? I'm honestly not as much into fixed blades, so I don't really remember which ones they have, but I think they have a JM.
Will add that Mark's doesn't discount them just because they are disco'ed but they don't mark them up either
Yup. I'll add to your addition that I'm pretty sure they didn't re-price their inventory from before the MAP change. So there may be some pieces that are differently-priced from the current MAP pricing, but haven't been specifically marked up.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
senorsquare

Re: Evil D

Post by senorsquare »

Evil D wrote:.... and I'm still holding onto my hopes of a carbon steel Nilakka sprint.
You and me both. I personally would love to see a gray Cruwear Nilakka, but I think M4 or 52100 would delightful as well.
timlara

Post by timlara »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I hope we see another rendition of the Foundry. It is like a giant Manbug. I think people just are not that into steel handles. I realize the concept was to use all Carpenter materials but I think that steel handle killed it. The upswept tip may not have helped either though. I don't mind upswept tips but I could just never pony up that much money for a steel handled knife.
I think you're right...at least about peoples' assumptions / perceptions...but in actual use, I have to say that I actually like the feel in hand of the steel handle on the Foundry *better* than my Ti handled Spydies. The Foundry is nice and thin and something about the finish of the steel just feels really high end and premium. All the edges are super smooth, there is zero lock stick, etc.

Don't get me wrong...I love Ti as much as the next guy, but I just think a lot of people didn't "get" the Foundry. All I know is I'm glad I got one! (And depending on the closeout sales, I may get another! :)
Tim
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

The Deacon wrote:Only puzzlement is the VG-10 Stretch. Could have sworn it was discontinued a couple years ago.
I thought it was discontinued in 2014 and was announced as so: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65946&p=983459

Also, I could have sworn the Puuko was discontinued November 2015.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

Jumpmaster looks better than Jumpmaster 2, which looks similar to another salt fixed blade.

I'd like a JM but have the Enuff salt which is close enough, but it's a shame it's being discontinued. I wonder why?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The one I am kinda put out about is the G10 Manbug. That is one of my favorite knives. I am glad I have one. I may need to get a back up. This is a classy little knife and one of the best looking knives Spyderco makes. I hope this means they are going to come out with one in a different color, or something.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I hope we see another rendition of the Foundry. It is like a giant Manbug. I think people just are not that into steel handles. I realize the concept was to use all Carpenter materials but I think that steel handle killed it. The upswept tip may not have helped either though. I don't mind upswept tips but I could just never pony up that much money for a steel handled knife.
Agree the pricing is a bit high on the foundry. There are so many other options in this price range. Not sure why it's so high. I think it's because it's the only Golden model with this much work to cut out the lock in the scale. Stainless scales on the endura are an extra $10. Premium blade is about $30. Probably some cost goes to licensing the carpenter logo. At $140-$160 it would be a lot more popular.
Maybe they can bring back that blade with stainless bolsters and grey g10 for a super manbug!
prog_knife

Post by prog_knife »

When do you all think some more of these will start to appear at clearance prices? I need a Hungarian and a Nilakka.

For what it's worth, I love the Friction Folder. The texture and roundness of the G10 is great, and it's very relaxing to slowly work the pivot back and forth. Unfortunately I seem to have misplaced mine at work...
-Evan
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Sad to see the Foundry go. It's one of my favorite carries, but I think its popularity is hurt simply by being all stainless. Yeah, it adds weight and is obvious on paper, but I'm really starting to realize how insignificant it really is. And I'm a tall thin guy with precious little butt to support my pants!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Finally pulled the trigger on a G10 Manbug, been meaning to for quit some time now. I have a feeling it will be as hard to find as the G10 Jester a few years from now.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

What do you guys think of the spy dk?
Josh
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

murphjd25 wrote:What do you guys think of the spy dk?
I'd prefer to have the functional spydie hole of the Urban or, better yet, UKPK
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
timlara

Post by timlara »

PayneTrain wrote:Sad to see the Foundry go. It's one of my favorite carries, but I think its popularity is hurt simply by being all stainless. Yeah, it adds weight and is obvious on paper, but I'm really starting to realize how insignificant it really is. And I'm a tall thin guy with precious little butt to support my pants!
Couldn't agree more - I don't notice the extra ounce or so of the Foundry in pocket versus a comparable sized Ti knife like the Slysz Bowie, but I think if people don't know or care about the concept behind the Foundry, they may perceive it as lower end just because stainless doesn't have the "cool factor" that Ti does. Admittedly, the Foundry is kind of expensive for a stainless knife, but it's *really good* premium stainless and the machining is top-notch. (Also, the labor ain't free...I have heard machinists say before that good, tough stainless steel isn't really any easier to machine than titanium.)
Tim
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

murphjd25 wrote:What do you guys think of the spy dk?
It's a lovely slipjoint evolution of the Calypso, designed to be legal most places in europe. Very non-threatening.

I have always really liked N690 -- sharpens up easily, takes a great edge, and has good corrosion resistance and edge-holding properties.

Ultra-light, and handles most routine pocket knife-type cutting tasks nicely. Lacks one-handed opening, but that is intentional, to widen the legal acceptability across numerous jurisdictions.