How to increase Spydercos profits

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mikael Andersson

Re: Or perhaps bankrupt them

Post by Mikael Andersson »

The Deacon wrote:Why would Spyderco want to take business advice from someone who has a thread on this forum stating that they want to become a competitor?
White Wolf Knife Company. :cool:
Cujobob

Re: How to increase Spydercos profits

Post by Cujobob »

I'm tired of flippers to be honest. The tab is usually in the way and uncomfortable. Bearings are a fad I'd like to see disappear, as well (a properly designed PB washer knife is very smooth and easy to deploy plus less parts that will wear). The rainbow blade is hideous IMO and I have seen maybe one picture of anyone I follow owning a rainbow colored blade.

The hole thing has been discussed. They're usually so small it matters little.
Wright.88

Re: How to increase Spyderco's profits

Post by Wright.88 »

demoncase wrote: 2.The hole is the Spyderco legal trademark- thus it needs to added to all of their products to maintain that trademark.
Does anyone know why they don't use the spyder hole in their kitchen knife line if this is the case?
BTG

Post by BTG »

I love the spyder hole it makes opening the knife so easy, but I think it makes just as much sense on a fixed blade...if you want to lash it to a branch having a lanyard hole and another hole farther forward makes a much more secure spear...and it's not like it's taking up space or creating extra weight.
Skaaphaas

Post by Skaaphaas »

The Deacon wrote:Why would Spyderco want to take business advice from someone who has a thread on this forum stating that they want to become a competitor?
A most enlightening thread.
Mikael Andersson

Post by Mikael Andersson »

Wright.88 wrote:
demoncase wrote: 2.The hole is the Spyderco legal trademark- thus it needs to added to all of their products to maintain that trademark.
Does anyone know why they don't use the spyder hole in their kitchen knife line if this is the case?
Because what demoncase says is wrong?
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
It would be a Spyderco even without the hole and the spyderhole is not sacred.
Sacred is maybe the wrong word. But it is so that the hole is THE visible feature of a spyderco knife you need that in the world of sales. Let alone that the hole is the most comfortable and easy opening method ever made on a knife.
Without it spyderco would risk losing many customers because most buyers that never bought a knife before can not tell a good knife from a crappy one. So the fameus hole is a magnet for sales.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Wright.88 wrote:
May be the trademark is specific to non-kitchen knives....I dunno, is the short answer.....I know what I heard from 'the horse's mouth' as it were- on 2-3 separate occasions from two folks likely to intimately equated with the whole issue (Sal and Eric at the Amsterdam Meets)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

If I recall correctly, Spyderco moved away from having their trademarked Round Hole in their kitchen knives because of possible issues of bacteria "hiding" in the hole. Not a good idea with knives used for food prep. ;)

Oh, and this is really quite fun: :D
PayneTrain wrote:I have dog pictures ready. Just say the word...
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Skaaphaas wrote:
A most enlightening thread.
Indeed. Educational is the word I would use.

Deary, deary me.....I'm now doubly sorry I bothered.

I must admit- it's refreshing how reasonable this forum is....Many, many other online communities encountering a new member doing this kind of thing would have turned into a dog-pile/circle-mosh/meat-grinder of a flame-fest by now :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

demoncase wrote:
Wright.88 wrote:
May be the trademark is specific to non-kitchen knives....I dunno, is the short answer.....I know what I heard from 'the horse's mouth' as it were- on 2-3 separate occasions from two folks likely to intimately equated with the whole issue (Sal and Eric at the Amsterdam Meets)
I'm not sure what the answer is. Leaving it out may have been a condition Masahiro placed on re-establishing their relationship. Don't think it's a sanitary issue, as the new Cook's Knife (which is probably from a different maker) has one.

As for the rest, my knowledge of trademark law is limited but, AFAIK, there is no requirement that a given trademark has to be used universally, especially when that trademark has utility. When Parker's line of pens included desk sets, they did not put their trademark "arrow" clip on them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
apollo wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote: ;) Further: with the Military and similar models (as was pointed out to me when I suggested it would look cool with a flipper) you've got a stop pin in the way of the flipper bar. It ain't as easy as you'd think- plus getting a flipper to work well in a blade with a hump-backed Spyderhole is (I'm told by Eric) difficult to get to balanced.

1. Obviously remove the hole in the blade on flipper knives
:confused: these words sound to me like spyderco needs to stop making spydercos and become something like all the others.
Without a hole it would not be a spyderco so something as sacred as the spydercohole should be kept at all costs!
It would be a Spyderco even without the hole and the spyderhole is not sacred.
Everything you've said is economically asinine for Spyderco as a business, and as a brand. None of it is viable or useful in any way. I don't mind open and honest discussions, but your brand of trolling is just pointless. If you had some sort of cogent arguments, I'd listen, but I've yet to hear any such thing from you. All you've done is say "Spyderco should make these decisions because I say so" without any factual basis as to why they ever should do any of it.

In fact, Mr. Andersson, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

dplafoll wrote:In fact, Mr. Andersson, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
You see, you wasted all that time typing when a simple gif would suffice!

10just

Post by 10just »

yeah i agree with these guys /\/\ i shoulda never clicked this thread..
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I thought that the hole was omitted from the affordable kitchen lineup because commercial kitchens were a target market for those knives. I remember Sal saying that commercial fisherman were big fans of the red handled utility knife as well. I wish I could remember the explanation better.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I know some of the utility knives were big in commercial restaurants.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

tvenuto wrote:
dplafoll wrote:In fact, Mr. Andersson, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
You see, you wasted all that time typing when a simple gif would suffice!

Yeaahhh but I wanted to get the whole thing, and I wanted to kinda slide right into it so you're a little bit into it when you realize what you're reading. :p
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

PayneTrain wrote:I have dog pictures ready. Just say the word...
I'm going with cats this time around. Boots is not amused with these thread shenanigans.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:1. Put a flipper on all of the big sellers and no this doesn't mean to stop making the same models without flippers.

2. Stop putting holes on fixed blade knives... not everyone have a hole fetish.

3. Put on rainbow colored coatings, bronze colored coatings in three different shades (not on the same blade) on select knives.

This is what I came up with for now.
Kershaw called, they said your rainbow Leek is ready
The Kershaw Leek is a great knife and the best thing about it is that if you should lose it it's not a big deal.
You're absolutely right. If I were to lose a Kershaw I wouldn't mind at all ;)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

The science and economics seem sound.

-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com