Any online store owners lurking? Here's an idea

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Any online store owners lurking? Here's an idea

Post by twinboysdad »

since for reasons inexplicable the PM2 in Cruwear is not going to be a regular prodo...one of you should commission it and get 1/3 in SE. You will triple your investment IMO. Keep the grey G10 and you will be happy. If you take my advice, the SE ones will sell like hot cakes and the low number assures you don't carry a bunch in inventory
bearfacedkiller

Re: Any online store owners lurking? Here's an idea

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would buy a Cruwear Para2 in a split second. Grey G10 with a plain edge sounds great to me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

twinboysdad wrote:since for reasons inexplicable the PM2 in Cruwear is not going to be a regular prodo...one of you should commission it and get 1/3 in SE. You will triple your investment IMO. Keep the grey G10 and you will be happy. If you take my advice, the SE ones will sell like hot cakes and the low number assures you don't carry a bunch in inventory
Are you certain that Cruwear and serrations play well together? I ask because some steels, like ZDP-189, do not.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The Deacon wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:since for reasons inexplicable the PM2 in Cruwear is not going to be a regular prodo...one of you should commission it and get 1/3 in SE. You will triple your investment IMO. Keep the grey G10 and you will be happy. If you take my advice, the SE ones will sell like hot cakes and the low number assures you don't carry a bunch in inventory
Are you certain that Cruwear and serrations play well together? I ask because some steels, like ZDP-189, do not.
I'm not sure at all, but given the properties of cruwear (toughness mainly) it seems like it would make a great platform for serrations.

As far as the exclusive idea, ABSOLUTELY!! It seems everyone is doing s90v these days. Something like cruwear would make a really cool exclusive and a pm2 in this steel is much needed.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Besides rescue knives and hawkbills I'm fairly certain serrations don't sell well these days. Based on the declining trend of serrated knives (and combos) vs PE variants.

IMHO, doing a full serrated run in an appropriate steel as a sprint or exclusive might work (Maybe even 3V?). I figure there are about 600-1200 people who would jump at a SE PM2 since it's never been done.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Absolutely yes to the Cruwear in grey G10 but I'd prefer PE.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Isn't Cruwear difficult to work with?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

It seems the one thing many people dislike more than SE blades are Combo edge blades. I'm not so sure these would sell like hotcakes. I would say, it's a PM2, so it doesn't matter. However, with the orange and black PM2 still available from CS almost 4 months later, I'm not so sure on that either.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Blerv wrote:Besides rescue knives and hawkbills I'm fairly certain serrations don't sell well these days. Based on the declining trend of serrated knives (and combos) vs PE variants.
What's interesting is it's that very decline in availability that seems to have sparked a resurgence in interest for the serrated edge. Folks always want what they can't have. ;)

Like TBD said, I think it would be cool to see an exclusive with 1/4th to 1/3rd of the run done in se. You know they would sell in the pm2 format. Were I a retailer I would definitely not do my entire exclusive run in SE but a split run like that (in a new steel for the pm2) would create a lot of buzz and do quite well I believe.
bearfacedkiller

I would still love to have the actual numbers. I wonder if sales of serrated edges have actually declined or if the Salt line is just stealing all that market share. It is probably a combination of both if you think about it. With all the rave reviews of serrated H1 you would think that a large percentage of serration lovers just go that way.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

The results from the knivenews.com blade survey show 84% prefer a plain edge, 15% combo and 1% serrated.

http://knifenews.com/pocket-knife-blades/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I have a hard time believe that the people who like a combo edge outnumber those liking fully serrated 15-1.
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

I was a bit surprised by that as well
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Surfingringo wrote:
Blerv wrote:Besides rescue knives and hawkbills I'm fairly certain serrations don't sell well these days. Based on the declining trend of serrated knives (and combos) vs PE variants.
What's interesting is it's that very decline in availability that seems to have sparked a resurgence in interest for the serrated edge. Folks always want what they can't have. ;)

Like TBD said, I think it would be cool to see an exclusive with 1/4th to 1/3rd of the run done in se. You know they would sell in the pm2 format. Were I a retailer I would definitely not do my entire exclusive run in SE but a split run like that (in a new steel for the pm2) would create a lot of buzz and do quite well I believe.
I think forum buzz and the amount of buyers are not always the same. The few enthusiasts here have garnered attention and respect (which is appreciated!) since Sal and co are performance fans as well.

I know teeth were a solution to a problem of edge retention (mainly) due to ease of processing low and mid carbo steels. There are still benefits of a serrated knife over a PE in 110v but the fear of sharpening or belief that serrated knives can't perform many tasks seems to have influenced sales.

Arguably CE is the best for non-knife people (teeth almost never get dull...). It should be the best seller. Maybe aesthetics are holding it back? Maybe Nutnfancy is? :p

Ya tho. Can they sell 600-1200 CE or SE PM2's? Easily. They can sell XHP ones with orange scales all day long, lol.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

A worthy suggestion. Count me in!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

From my understanding, Spyderco will do pretty much whatever you want once you commission a Dealer Exclusive.

The person who needs to consider the marketability of a partial serrated PM2 is the dealer who would be paying the commission cost upfront.

That is where I think you'd have a problem. Cruwear would probably work well with serrations, but I don't know if a dealer would want to risk placing a commission that won't sell as well.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey Able Dog, do you think they would struggle to sell (for example) 300 se Paramilitary's on a 1200 piece run? I would think, rather, that one would have to be pretty quick on the button to score one of the serrated versions. Especially considering the pm2 has never been offered in that configuration. One of the big attractions for me of the dealer exclusives is the ability to pick up something unique. Another offering in s90v or something with carbon fiber handles? Those are nice features but no longer unique IMHO. Just my 2 cents.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Different materials or unique variations is always a plus. I'm all for new stuff that hasn't been tried before. Agree that the S90V and CF combo is not quite as exciting--unless we're talking about a Manbug Sprint! :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bearfacedkiller

I am so over CF and have been for a long time, especially the peel ply stuff. If this Cruwear Para2 comes to fruition and CF is chosen I will have to give it some serious thought.
-Darby
SG89

Post by SG89 »

^^totally agree on the CF!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb