Radioactive’s 2.5K Post GAW!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
StuntZombie

Re: Radioactive’s 2.5K Post GAW!

Post by StuntZombie »

Awesome giveaway Paul, and congrats on 2,500! Even with all the spats, this still remains one of the most civil forums I visit. It doesn't hurt that the people that run it are among the nicest folks around.

It's thanks to Kristi that I was able to get two of the purple forum Natives after they were sold out, one for me, and one for my then girlfriend. Sadly, I had to part with mine due to bills and life in general, but my wife still has hers, and likely always will.

Since I don't know when I'll actually be able to afford to get another Spyderco, I'll definitely throw my hat in the ring. I've been interested in the new Natives since I first saw pictures of them, so I'm curious to see how they handle compared to the older model.

Thanks for the chance!
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

toxophilus wrote:Radioactive, that is a lot of posts, I'm a long time observer and mainly on here to learn from the vast knowledge base. I'm impressed with the folks code of conduct and visit here daily add the ability to go back in time to see the history of how models came to be and the interaction between Sal & Company is priceless.

I've been too busy reading to think about posting but will keep in mind always strive to make a lasting contribution. Would love to be considered but alas... Not enough posts :)
Hi toxophilus, I relaxed the post count requirement just for you! :) On the one condition that you do indeed post more in the future ;)

I'm also certainly willing to ship internationally if those winners would be able to help me out with the shipping, and fully understand that once it leaves the US, it's a crapshoot whether it will get to you or not depending on your location. I've shipped very reliable to several members here in Europe and those guys are certainly welcome to join the GAW contest since I know they'd be willing to pony up $20 to help get the knife to them! :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
RadioactiveSpyder

Thanks for the kind words everyone! :D Make sure to spread the word too, I'm surprised there haven't been more entries! ;) As I just wrote above, folks outside the US can certainly enter if they can help me out with the shipping costs a little. And if you yourself don't want the knife, definitely enter anyways if you can think of a brother/sister, nephew/niece, dad/mom, good friend, etc. who might appreciate one.

Happy Friday everyone! Cheers, RS :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Very generous of you RS! I would like to enter. I have been most impressed with the fact that Sal will chime in on topics quite often. The forum is filled with great people, and it's nice that everyone gets along so well here.
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

If you want a French entrie, here it is ! :D
Clap clap for your 2500 posts RadioactiveSpyder and all the help you gave in those !
And this post is a very generous action from you !

For what I learned here. It will be quiet difficult to developp in english.

So few words of what I like.
I like to share a passion with people from all over the world !
Spyderco is one of my 1st real knife !
Another thing I like is that I'm born the same year Spyderco began to make sharp things !
I do have more Spyderco knives than any other brand...

One last words, this FRN Native 5 is an awesome knife !!!!!
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Please enter me in the drawing

Even if I wasn't entered in the drawing, I'd still like to say that it's hard for me to put my thumb on what makes the people of Spyderco and this forum so great. One thing is abundantly clear, though: what ever it is, it seems to be more and more rare in the world and more so on the Internet.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Sully

Post by Sully »

I was lucky enough to have a Native 5 once, Paul. I'm guessing you remember. :)

Thanks for your help way back when, Paul, along with many other forum members. I joined the forum to ask for guidance in choosing a LEFTY-friendly knife since Spyderco was graciously replacing my Delica. I was impressed with the company and the forum, to say the least. Got really obsessed for a quick spell. Life interfered, but I will always be a Spyderco fan and a sincere appreciator of the many incredibly knowledgeable knife experts who are so willing to share so much of their knowledge.

Sal is cool too. (Though he'd be off-the-charts cool if he designed one more LEFTY specific Spyderco. Me, Mrs. Glesser. and our tribe sure would appreciate it. :) )

If it won't kill you to send me another Native 5, count me in. ;)
Last edited by Sully on Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baldanthony

Post by baldanthony »

Congratulations, that is an impressive amount of posts! I'm a long-time lurker, and though I only post periodically, I've read and learned from many of your posts, so thank you for that.
There are a lot of things I would credit this forum for. How ready members are to help eachother, honest opinions given very tactfully and respectfully, to the down to earth involvement of Sal participating in our collective madness and insatiable demands! (Semi) brief history:
I've been a longtime admirer of knives. I tired of needing to replace chipped, loose and dangerously damaged blades yearly; more so when I started my current job as a cell tech. 5 years ago, I purchased my first higher end blade. I won't advertise them here. I love it still, but it was sorta bulky with a lot of moving parts, and I wasn't prepare for getting in there for upkeep. They didn't have a very active forum, and I simply did not know anyone personally with a large knowledge of knives. I don't use social media sites, so I'm alone locally in my knife obsession! I checked out forums for other quality knife companies, and came across the monster known as Spyderco. I spent countless hours sifting through mostly posts from new members looking for help on choosing a new knife. The way that knowledgable members took a considerable amount of time and care to walk people through what to look for, where to find value, and how to choose a good entry level knife was awe-inspiring. It wasn't the used-car salesmen approach that the stores used. There was so much honesty!

Lurking silently in the background, I bought my first Spyderco about 4 years ago, the Tasman Salt. This moment is what I would choose... the moment I took the leap and everything I had learned from here thus far and started this addiction. Learned about steel types. Purchased a Yojimbo2 and PM2. Bought a sharpmaker. Took personal responsibility for the upkeep of the tools that I rely on. This became a point of pride, and all from people like yourself who took the time and effort to share your experience with the rest of us. A big thank you to yourself and everybody else on this forum for everything, and here's to your next 2500 posts!
-Anthony
Razzle

Post by Razzle »

I've learned a TON from this community, only hoping to give back one small token of what I have received.

Everything from a bit of faith....sending one of my grail knives off to the mother ship, just hoping and praying that it would return undamaged.

To amazement and awe....in how helpful folks are to willingly share knowledge. Thanks to Sal, Cliff, Gringo and others (along with a bunch of time, blood, sweat and a few tears), I'm able to put a very very nice edge on my knives....even those that I wouldn't go NEAR with a Sharpmaker a year ago.

Friendships. Wow. From those that I just really enjoy chatting with to those whom I would purchase from absolutely sight unseen, without worry.

I'm recently reluctantly early retired and income free for a few more years, yet rich with a few choice Spydies that please me greatly, and more than suit my needs.

Family is healthy. Life is good.

Congrats on the post count, Paul, and thank you for being a trusted compadre (and for selling lots of choice knives!).
Matt
RadioactiveSpyder

Back to page 1 with you naughty thread! ;)
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

This giveaway in itself is one of the many reasons why i love this forum. In this day and age, people cling to material objects hoping it will bring favor with others, popularity, etc. But here, we come for the knowledge and the companionship and all with a common interest. I'm sure we all greatly appreciate the gesture Radioactive is offering here, but, for me, I'm just very pleased, that i could even be a part of his time and everyone elses time here. I don't have a lot to offer in comparison to a lot of the very knowledgeable members here, but I try to help out in every way I can. Everyone here, every member, cares for the other, and genuinely. Whether it be just a small thing like offering encouragement in hard times, or a grand gesture of appreciation such as this, I feel like I have a whole family here. Its unbelievable that an online forum can hold such amazing people in it and I'm thankful for every one of you, who have taken the time, to make my time on this forum, to be the best experience one can get online. Thank you Sal, Eric, Taz, and the whole spydie crew for building such an amazing community.

Thanks again Radioactive, for holding this GAW. I would like to be entered, as it would be very nice to have a new spydie again. Funds have been tight recently, so it would be a welcomed edition to the collection. Whether i get the native or not, I will continue to strive to offer as much as I can to better this community. :spyder: Jake :spyder:
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Congrats, Radioactive, on the 2500 posts and thanks for being a big part of the forums and for the generous GAW.

All the posts above pretty well cover my feelings about all the people at Spyderco, the forums, and the forumites. The incredible variety of knife designs and materials down through the years are fascinating and hard to resist. It's also great that Spyderco knives are manufactured in many parts of the world, giving us a rare chance to learn about and sample the traditions and craftsmanship of several countries. And the interactions on the forums with Sal, knife designers and the Spydercrew are priceless.

The forum has been a quiet retreat to come to, where serenity and sanity prevail (usually ;) ). The members are an amazingly tolerant, copasetic, equanimous, and helpful bunch from all over the world. I think it's this helpful, friendly attitude of the members and Spydercrew that keep drawing me back to the forum, which in turn keeps me wanting more spydies :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
dcfis

Post by dcfis »

After lots of running down lesser steels the gun show sharpener finally told me to look into spyderco as they got the best steels. I have been learning a lot from everyone here and sure enough Spyderteam and everyone here are interested in state of the art steel. I want to thank Spyderco for their interest in bringing affordable knives in all kinds of steel to try and the members for the knowledge they so freely share!
I would like to enter and Thank You Paul for the gesture!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Congrats on 2,500 posts!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Hi Paul,

First off, congratulations on the 2,500 posts! :) It is a special thing being able to share this passion for Spyderco knives with like-minded individuals such as yourself. Thank you also for the kind gesture for the give-away of the Native5's. That is very kind of you.

When reflecting upon special experiences with Spyderco from over the years, one recent memory immediately comes to mind. About four years ago, I wrote to Sal and asked for his advice regarding a few knife drawings I had created. A short while later, I received a letter from Spyderco. It was a personal letter from Sal. Sal not only took the time to respond to my questions, but he was also kind enough to offer me some helpful feedback on my designs. Sal's letter inspired me to start creating more designs, which in turn has developed into a passion of mine. Fortunately, I had the pleasure of being able to thank Sal for that letter in person this past year. It is kind gestures like this that I will not soon forget. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Hi everyone, happy Monday again! Thank you all for your nice comments in this thread, I really appreciate it :).

There's now 1 week left for everyone to enter this GAW. Entries can be posted up until midnight on 2/29 Leap Day (see, you get an extra day this month ;)). I will tally up the entries on Tuesday, March 1, choose two winners randomly (the list will be randomized and two entries chosen via Random.org) and post the winners later that evening.

Let's see some more entries folks! :D
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

I'm a newer member here, but have been over on BF for about a year or so. The Native 5 has always intrigued me, so I'm in!

I think what impresses me the most about Sal and Spyderco is their commitment to excellence. There are a lot of great knives and knife brands out there, but at Spyderco they don't seem to just want to make a great product. They want to make the best product, and then keep improving it. This really makes them stand apart as a company, and I think makes their products stand apart from the competition.
RadioactiveSpyder

Hi folks! Quick reminder that there's

JUST TWO FULL DAYS LEFT TO ENTER! :D
Thorien

Post by Thorien »

Hi Paul
Congratulations on your milestone. I have a long way to go to reach that tally but hope to be a valuable and contributing member to the forum so one day maybe I can emulate your generosity. :)
As you know own I'm pretty much a newbie to all things knife related but I've already been learning a great deal from this site. I have to say I'm really drawn to Spyderco and have in the space of just a couple of weeks bought 3 with one more on the way!
Due to our somewhat Draconian knife laws here in the UK some of my collection won't be used outside the house and will be just to play with at home. That's fine though as although essentially tools I love the aesthetics and build quality that Spyderco knives exude. Being an engineer myself I appreciate the fine tolerances they are built too and the wonderful designs. I also love the fact that Sal actually takes time out to engage on the forums with us. In fact my first post here was because Sal dropped a bombshell on me about a new knife that will hopefully be available soon and is a UK legal slip joint that will fit between the Urban and the UKPK. That kind of genuine interest with what us as consumers want shows his genuine love in what he does and is very rare for corporations. Its just another reason why I'm always going to be an advocate of the brand. Thanks guys and hope to get to know you all more over the coming months..
PS: I wont be eligible for the draw sadly as I live abroad, but wanted to say what a great gesture it is anyway.
RadioactiveSpyder

Last day to enter folks! I'll be picking the two winners either very late tonight (after midnight PST on the US West coast) or tomorrow. :D