Manix CBBL or Mid Back Lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Manix CBBL or Mid Back Lock?

Post by Doc Dan »

What do you folks prefer? I like the CBBL on the Manix. I think it is a good lock. However, I would prefer a deep mid back lock with a stop pin. I like the intuitiveness of the back lock and how easy it is to close one handed with a Spyderhole. I have one Manix XL and the lock is a bear to use. This is true even though my hands cannot be in any sense called dainty or weak. I have large strong hands with a strong grip and the lock on my Manix XL is useable but not agreeable. I wish Spyderco would bring back that mid back lock version with an added stop pin and deeper connections between the lock bar and the blade tang. Plus, a smaller Manix would be nice, too, with a back lock.

Any thoughts?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SG89

Re: Manix CBBL or Mid Back Lock?

Post by SG89 »

Having owned 2 manix and countless back locks I prefer the back locks. Easier to unlock for me.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SG89

Post by SG89 »

A manix lw with back lock would be nice
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

IMHO, the CBBL versions of the Manix are but pale reflections of the original midlock version.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I guess I like the CBBL because it offers variety compared to most of my other knives and flicks so easily. Its definitely not as easy to close and has a learning curve compared to the very intuitive back lock. It seems like a lot of people don't like back locks, maybe because they've never had a good knife with a Spyderhole :)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Manix series fits my hand better than any other large Spyderco. But an improved back lock would make it a lot better, I think.

And yes, the LW with a back lock would be great.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

I carry my original Manix more than my Manix 2's. I've used my original Manix so much I had to have Tom Krein regrind it because it was getting really thick behind the edge. It's a great user, and I really like the back lock on it. It has a tremendous sound when it locks open, you can tell it is built to be worked. I know the CBBL is strong, but I prefer operating the back lock. While adding in a stop pin to the back lock would be nice, I'm not sure how they could do that without violating the patent on the triad lock.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

+1 on the original manix back lock.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

At this point my thoughts are opposite of most of the responses here. I have 3 Spyderco knives with back locks and, while there are aspects of the lock I like, I find them awkward to close with one hand. Maybe I just haven't learned the secret yet. While the spring in the CBBL on the Manix 2 is very strong/tight I find that all I have to do to open and close is disengage the lock and the blade swings freely. The Manix 2 is also much easier for me to flick open than my back locks.

I certainly don't want to derail this thread but has anybody ever tried to swap out the factory spring on the Manix 2 for one that's a little bit lighter. I'm not really interested in trying this myself for various reasons but I am curious if others have tried this and what the result was.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I love the CBBL. I've had one version that was tough to operate, but 4 others that were pretty easy, one of them being able to unlock with just my thumb. Seems there's a lot of tolerance variance in this lock.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Evil D wrote:I love the CBBL. I've had one version that was tough to operate, but 4 others that were pretty easy, one of them being able to unlock with just my thumb. Seems there's a lot of tolerance variance in this lock.
I've noticed that too (in terms of tolerance varience) on the CBBL's. In fact, I rarely carry several of my CBBL's because it generally requires me to use both hands to unlock them safely. Mid back-locks are more familiar to my hands and are consequently easier for me to manipulate open and closed.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I like the idea of the BBL but in practice I much prefer a back lock.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I love the CBBL. It certainly would be interesting to see one with a Powerlock though... or a Military 4 way position clip with a powerlock.
bpahk

Post by bpahk »

I love the cbbl and strongly prefer it to a back lock. I've personally never experienced any difficulty opening or closing. I think it's just a matter of finding the right grip.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

It is not simply finding the right grip. Some of these knives have an excessively strong spring. I think this may be due to some lock failures early on. I have seen older ones that were fairly easy. And I am certain the spring on my XL is tough because of the heavy blade. This is no Axis or Bolt Action lock, that is for sure. I still prefer the back lock with a Spydie Hole to any of these locks.

A back lock with the Spydie Hole is as easy to close one handed as a liner lock, if the right technique is used. There are several ways, but I have two ways that are almost the same move as when closing a liner lock that I use. So simple.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I have to say I don't really have a preference of one over the other, I like them both equally. I think the biggest draw for me is that they are ambidextrous, so I can open and close the knives with either hand without thinking. On a side note I'd love to see Spyderco make a few new knives with the bolt lock :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It may have a lot to do with familiarity for me but I certainly prefer the compression lock and then the backlock over all of the rest. I like the CBBL, BBL and bolt action lock all more than liner and frame locks though. I wish the CBBL on my Manix2 was as smooth and easy to operate as the bolt action lock on my Sage3.

I will take an updated Manix2 in either lock if it removes all the unnecessary jimping all over it. I am not a big Manix2 fan and the lock has little to do with it. If it had a backlock and didn't have all the jimping I may own more than one.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Kind of surprised to see so many choosing the backlock. I like the CBBL on the Manix 2 a lot.

Backlocks... Native5, Caly3CF/3.5CF, Delicas, Enduras - I think of all those I've had one Delica and one Endura that didn't have up-down play. Some are better than others, but most of them, wedge it into an apple to cut it in half (or anything else that binds the blade a bit) and yep, there's the wiggle. Doesn't really bother me too much; most are so nice and thin and cut so well (and cost under $100) that it's no big deal.

But on a knife that's big/thick enough to put a CBBL in - yeah, that's my preference.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I have not had any blade wiggle, though I have a knife from BM that does. I love Spydie backlocks. They are tight, strong, and awesome. With the Spydie hole I can close the knife with one hand like I can a liner lock, with nearly the same action. Plus, in test after test, the back lock is very strong compared to other lock types. But, I think, for me, the biggest reason is that it is easy to use.

I wonder how the backlock design in the Chaparral would do in a Manix? Hmmmm?!.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
v8r

Post by v8r »

I like both, but prefer the back lock version. If they did a update on the back lock like on the N5 we would have a winner that would probably be as strong or stronger than the lock on a Tatanka.
I like the Manix 2, and have many of them, but the plastic ball cage is kind of hokey, not that I have ever had a problem with it. Just don't care for it.