Anyone Else Like Mules?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bdblue

Re: Anyone Else Like Mules?

Post by bdblue »

kjd2121 wrote:I couldn't get them to fit the MT1 - the holes are too small - WTF?? Now I need to order a $30 drill bit to widen the holes
It might be tough to drill even with a good bit. Maybe try some small diameter grind stones in a drill or a dremel, or if you are really desperate wrap some sandpaper around a small diameter rod and work it like a round file in the holes.
kosta

Post by kosta »

Forgive for my English. I use the translator. I have 22 Halpern handles. Good handles. But it is necessary to consider that screws from Halpern don't approach all Mule forms. On early Mule of an opening it is slightly less. And the plug should be ground off I dremel. That a slip 2D would rise exactly, the plug should be ground off and in length. You watch a photo. Halpern has no all mules and can't know that openings differ.
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

SpeedHoles wrote: Image
Love the look of those flat halpern micarta scales. How do you like them compared to the G10 scales?
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

MT01 has smaller holes. MT02 and on have the larger holes which fit the Halpern scales.

Gordon
kjd2121

Post by kjd2121 »

gaj999 wrote:MT01 has smaller holes. MT02 and on have the larger holes which fit the Halpern scales.

Gordon

Yes I found this out. Bummed.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Wright.88 wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote: Image
Love the look of those flat halpern micarta scales. How do you like them compared to the G10 scales?

I really like them a lot. They do seem like they will wear quicker and a bit less durable than G10, but they are very warm and comfortable feeling.
Appears they no longer offer them. Too bad because I would consider getting another set.
Going back to Caly.
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

SpeedHoles wrote: I really like them a lot. They do seem like they will wear quicker and a bit less durable than G10, but they are very warm and comfortable feeling.
Appears they no longer offer them. Too bad because I would consider getting another set.

I called Halpern this morning and was told they should have the micarta option 5 handles back in stock in a month. So, now I have to decide whether to wait a month, or just buy a G10 set now. Hmmm..
Ranger393

Post by Ranger393 »

I ordered my first Mule a little over three weeks ago. The MT 21 arrived sharp and I was excited to get started building a handle. I've never done a knife handle so with a little research I bought some linen micarta, stainless pins, and epoxy and got started. The result is,, well,,, ok. I hope it's ok to post some pics of the process. I love the Mule and what little I've used the 4V I'm very impressed. Before getting to the pics I would like to thank Sal and Spyderco for offering such a cool product at an incredible price!

Now to the knife. I look forward to the MT22 as I learned a lot from this one. I started with coyote brown micarta and a spanking new MT21.
Ranger393

Post by Ranger393 »

Next was to mark the scales and cut. I had not thought that this step would be too difficult but it turned out to be a bear. I have an old band saw but it wanted to bite the micarta, making the cuts very rough. In the end I did get two "roughed out" scales.Image
Ranger393

Post by Ranger393 »

Now came the aligning and drilling for the pins and lanyard hole. As you can see from the pics, there was quite a bit of adjustment needed before glueing.
Ranger393

Post by Ranger393 »

Really knew that I was over my head on this but it was too late to stop now! Now it was time to take it back apart and apply the epoxy. I scuffed the handle area of the knife and applied a liberal amount of e-120hp loctite. Aligned the scales and pins and clamped. It wasn't easy but I left it alone for 48 hours.
Ranger393

Post by Ranger393 »

After set up, I started sanding and sanding and sanding and sanding! Did I mention that it required some sanding.Image
Ranger393

Post by Ranger393 »

It's not perfect but man I sure do like it. I got into the handle a little deep by the lanyard hole when cutting the tube before sanding. I could have sanded deeper to get it all the way out but I didn't want to go any thiner,, I was liking how the scales were feeling so I just decided to leave that as a reminder of what not to do on the next one! Hope you like it,, I thought it turned out ok for my first. Thanks again Sal for the awesome Mule Team program!!
kjd2121

Post by kjd2121 »

Looks great. I need to do this on my MT01.
boyleged

Post by boyleged »

Here is my first attempt at scales for a mule. Next time I'll have to use thinner micarta, this turned out to be a pretty thick knife!

Please excuse the poor picture quality

vk1

Post by vk1 »

Where do you guys buy scales from?
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

vk1 wrote:Where do you guys buy scales from?
A company called Halpern Titanium is the most common place to buy them premade. And no, the scales are not titanium, despite their name. ;)

Other than that, you can search for various custom knife scale makers, or go at it yourself.
Going back to Caly.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Here's a link for Halpern Mule Team scales: http://www.halperntitanium.com/spyderco-handles/

And here's my favorite source for DIY handle material: http://www.knifemaking.com/category-s/4.htm

Then if you're partial to exhibition grade Ironwood for your Mule: http://arizonaironwood.com/
The Ironwood scale options change weekly and the best ones go fast so check often and order promptly.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Ranger393

Post by Ranger393 »

Quick update on my first Mule Team project. I purchased a sheet of 7-8oz veg tanned cowhide to make a sheath. It was my first time doing any leather work so I had to purchase the materials and tools needed to do the tooling, dyeing and cutting. I found a pic of a horizontal carry sheath online and pattered mine after it. I wet formed the leather to the knife so retention is very good and attempted to do some tooling to decorate the sheath. Looks ok from a distance but I really need to practice before doing anymore leather tooling :). It carries well and has a "worn" look that I worked on for a few days by applying dye, wiping and sanding. Hope you like it.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Great job everyone on customizing your mules!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb