Anyone Else Like Mules?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cujobob

Re: Anyone Else Like Mules?

Post by Cujobob »

I disagree with going with a thicker design completely. There's plenty of knives out there like that, but few with thin grinds for actual cutting. You normally wouldn't choose a speciality steel for abusive work, you'd get one designed around high toughness. Knives for that sort of work are usually left a bit softer, too. You don't really learn anything by taking new steels and putting them in a situation where any knife can do the job (thicker grind/edge).
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

QUICKSILVER wrote:kosta,
I count 22 mules. Only 21 have been issued by Spyderco. Is there a duplicate or did you buy the MT14 in CTS 204P which was on ebay?
Bill Maier
Is the model sold by WOODCRAFT included?
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Doesn't look like it. The woodcraft "mule" has a different grind than the others, it is more sabre than full flat.
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

For (my) clarification if a person wants to have a full set are there 22 including the Woodcraft? What was Quicksilver's reference to the MT14 in CTS204P? I believe I have a complete set but have never bothered to count! As always, thanks to anyone of can help enlighten me.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

buckthorn wrote:For (my) clarification if a person wants to have a full set are there 22 including the Woodcraft? What was Quicksilver's reference to the MT14 in CTS204P? I believe I have a complete set but have never bothered to count! As always, thanks to anyone of can help enlighten me.
Yes, 22 if you include the Woodcraft, though I wouldn't consider it a "Mule" since it has a different shape, grind, and SKU. All the Mule Teams are MT##, while the Woodcraft is FB27 (making it the 27th SKU of their Fixed Blade lineup).

While Spyderco has reached SKU #22 on the Mule Team, they only produced MT01-MT13 and MT15-MT22, as MT14 (in CTS-204P) was announced, but never released. So that makes 21 Mules released so far.

You can find more details on all the Mule Team variations here: http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=MT_Mule_Team
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

Thank you jabba359!