My One-A-Day thread

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
demoncase

Re: My One-A-Day thread

Post by demoncase »

Delica 3

These are my very first Spydercos- I bought them as a pair from a close out sale at Sportsman's Gun Centre nearly 15 years ago.
I learned rapidly that VG10 was in different league to the no-name "Stainless" folding knives I'd been carrying all my life up until then,

The semi-serrated one has seen all kinds of abuse and misuse that would cause your foreman/scoutmaster/father-in-law (delete to taste) to shake his head in genuine disgust...Prybar? Oh yes. Impromptu screwdriver? Oh yes. Wire stripper? Oh yes. Temporary electrical conductor? Oh deary me yes.
Mrs Demoncase even used it to chisel 3-4" thick solid ice from a broken freezer, after which it needed serious palliative care.
All that said, both still lock up solidly and take/hold an edge well....

Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
swigert

Post by swigert »

demoncase wrote:Delica 3

These are my very first Spydercos- I bought them as a pair from a close out sale at Sportsman's Gun Centre nearly 15 years ago.
I learned rapidly that VG10 was in different league to the no-name "Stainless" folding knives I'd been carrying all my life up until then,

The semi-serrated one has seen all kinds of abuse and misuse that would cause your foreman/scoutmaster/father-in-law (delete to taste) to shake his head in genuine disgust...Prybar? Oh yes. Impromptu screwdriver? Oh yes. Wire stripper? Oh yes. Temporary electrical conductor? Oh deary me yes.
Mrs Demoncase even used it to chisel 3-4" thick solid ice from a broken freezer, after which it needed serious palliative care.
All that said, both still lock up solidly and take/hold an edge well....

I would love to find some of those delicas one day. Thanks for keeping the thread going.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Delica 4

Top is another user- great little blade that does it all without complaint.
Middle is the Ti/Damascus version- a steal at the price, frankly
Bottom is the GITD kids kit- which, frankly, everyone should own. It's great fun.

Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Zulu

A recent find and I'm still getting used to the styling. Ergonomically it's a little short in the handle for my hands, and that upswept point takes some thought to use properly.
A challenge to sharpen too.

akaAK

Post by akaAK »

You were right about the Clipit Bottle opener by the way. What a fantastic knife. You deserve a kick back on that sale as I just got it in the mail.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Delica 1

A recent online find- this is one of the later iterations of the first Delica model, as attested by the broader pocket clip and AUS8-A steel.

Still a great knife and an important flagstone on the Spyderco path to today :)

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Sprint R

Bridges the size gap between Delica and Endura- I'd love to find the previous skeletonized variants, but so far no joy

Ergonomically close to perfect for my pudgy paw, this is just a total joy to hold and use- the fit and finish are superlative, the Nishijin 'chequerplate' is nearly holographic as you look at it in shifting light.

I added a polished steel clip I had knocking about as I felt it matched the rest of the knife better than the black factory one. It blocks the lanyard hole but I wasn't planning to use that anyways ;)

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Junior.

This year's black Friday special- and one I wouldn't have gone for otherwise.
Lightly built comp locking VG10. The blade shape is really good for all kinds of general chores- even spreading peanut butter!
The very deep but narrow grip is at once secure but not as hand-filling as I would like

As befits the 'Junior' title, those of us with adult hands end up either putting the index finger where a choil would be or dangling the pinkie off the back of the grip. I added a little lanyard so I can get a full four finger grip....My wife, who has tiny hands, loves it though.

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Sage IV

Getting in early (got a busy day tomorrow- and we're on the home stretch now with only a couple more to go).

A recent purchase- serious weight in the hand with this one, the ironwood and titanium give this a classic look too....Another great gent's folder that can do serious cutting when you need it.

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Poliwog.

Another underated knife- where else can you get a full 4 finger grip on so small a blade.
BB lock is fun too and super ergonomic.

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Spyderhawk

Another recent purchase....I do love hawkbills, and an even-bigger-Salt-spec-Merlin is just utterly lovable.
Would make an excellent SD blade too I'm sure....An Endura sized serrated hawk has cutting power to conjur with :)

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

And the last one in the collection- it's all over peeps....until I buy some more :D

Chokwe:

Recent buy that I'd put off for a long time.
Loving the nearly Wharncliffe styling and it's genuinely scary sharp. The 3 material sandwhich of G10, steel and titanium is awesome.
The through holes look even better with the clip moved to tip down (which I prefer for larger blades)- not sure about the Edge-u-cation idea of using them to lash it to a spear, but you could very easily use it for stripping wires and such.....and they make a great indexing point for changing grips.

gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

It takes a bit of effort to get a pic a day thread done, thanks for letting us see your cool knives
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

gingerninja wrote:It takes a bit of effort to get a pic a day thread done, thanks for letting us see your cool knives
My pleasure!....Glad it's been fun...

We are now- for the moment- at the end of the ride- One final photo shows you how they all get stored together.

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Well done, my friend. Very enjoyable read and great collection you have there! :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Yay! Time to revive this as there's been some additions! :)

Dragonfly in ATS55
A close out deal from a UK retailer, got this for very little.
Perfect little EDC pocket knife with major cutting power

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Paramilitary 1
A classic precursor to the current universally popular PM2, this shares far more of it's DNA with the Military.
If anything, I find the -1 to fit my hand better than the -2....The only jarring note is the obvious spine when folded.

maliboy67

Post by maliboy67 »

All I can say is WOW! and thanks for the thread.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Very nice collection.

The only problems I had with the R sprint was that the clip was mounted to the wrong spot, which made it odd to carry and it was a little heavy.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Positron

I met her in Amsterdam when she had her maiden name of Ion but she's still as lovely now ;)
Contoured, smooth carbon fibre handle feels pleasant in the hand and the S30v blade is slicey and pointy too.
Had no issues with the flipper action: smooth and slick, needing a solid sweep back to work perfectly- the Spyderhole is cosmetic in this expression.
Much smaller than the Southard- it's a great little gents folder.