Caly 3.5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Yotehntr

Caly 3.5

Post by Yotehntr »

I bought a Caly 3 a couple months back I'm new to Spyderco knives and didn't know there was a 3.5. The 3 was my favorite, I've gotten a little out of control and bought a Native (CPM S35VN) 1st, then a Manix 2 (CPM 110v), PM, an Endura (ZDP), Dragonfly (ZDP) for the wife... well I decided to get the Caly 3.5 (gave the 3 to my dad) oh and I've ordered the '15 forum native. (so you know I'm not slamming Spyderco) I wanted the lamination on the 3.5 to be as even as possible, so when I went to "Smokey Mtn knive works" I payed particular attention... didn't notice the carbon fiber had deep scratchs in it until I got home... :mad: so the next weekend (last weekend) I made the 3 hr trek back to knoxville to get it replaced. My luck, they were out so I got my money back. Well I decided to buy another from Amazon, showed up today with the mail... it actually rattles... the knife starts hitting the side of the liner about 1 1/2" back. I've done the return/replace with Amazon, but what the heck? My other spyderco's are great, the Caly 3 was amazing but the 3.5's ... well I'm not having very good luck here. Come on quality guys check these things out before you ship 'em!

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Re: Caly 3.5

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

Possibly someone else bought the amazon knife already and perhaps the blade had been slightly off centre and then 'rectified', and stuffed right up, and then sent back to amazon? They wouldn't have checked it out on return. I can't imagine Spyderco QC would have let a rattling knife leave the factory?
My Caly 3.5 CF is perfect except a small imperfection on the CF, which I found acceptable.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Yotehnter,

Welcome to our forum.

That's doesn't look right. Dont think it would leave here like that. Can you get it to us?

sal
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Sorry to hear you're having problems in getting one of Spyderco's best edc's. I have multiple caly 3.5's and they are all perfect. The knife is thin, rides well in the pocket, has a great clip, and is a cutting beast. The extra length really comes in handy. Don't give up. Sounds like you've been getting knives that have been previously returned. Once you've been bit, you just can't quit :D
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Was the seller for the Amazon sale actually Amazon or someone else? Just curious. I've been considering purchasing the very same knife to test which I'd prefer, 3 or 3.5.

And very sorry to hear about your luck...I've had both good luck with Amazon in the past (stick to Amazon or a reputable name if purchasing on their site) and Spyderco.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Definitely send it back, Sal and his merry band of dream makers will take good care of you....
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Yotehntr

Post by Yotehntr »

Thanks for all the responses! Yeah I've definetly been bit by the Spyderco bug! I'd guess 2 or 3 months to buy all these knives lol. The Caly 3 was a dream, I'd say my all time favorite only thing is I wanted it just a touch longer. Mom said my dad sits and all she hears is click click. LOL

Sal, I really appreciate it but I'm already dedicated to sending it back to Amazon (it was directly from them) and I have one on 2 day ship already headed my way. (If I don't ship it back to them I'll be buying 2).
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

The CF ZDP189 3.5 seemed to have more lemons than any other run I am aware of. My B&M had four with warped blades. That is part of why I don't like clad blades. My plain G10 and VG10 3.5 is flawless and locks up like a vault.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It isn't restricted to the clad blades. My SB has a mean lean to one side and just nearly touches the liner. You can really see it when you look down the blade too. :(. Doesn't stop its cutting ability though!

I'm not going to send it in. Not sure they've got replacements for that one ;). Sorry to hear OP about yours, Sal and co will take great care of it I'm sure!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Yotehntr,

Welcome to the Forum.
Return this knife, if this condition is bothering you.
I wouldn't drive for 3 hours to get a knife. And if you want a knife as close as possible to "perfect" do not from amazon, but instead by from reputable dealer like KW or NGK and ask them to inspect the knife for conditions, which are important for you. Get a knife with even laminatede lines can be difficult. In the past I had several Spydercos with laminated blades and laminated lines were very uneven on all of them. This was one of the main reasons, why I sold all of them and stopped buying Spyderco laminated blades.
Another option can be, if you patient to hunt down G10/VG10 Caly3.5. This is discontinued model, but it shows up on e-bay and BF exchange. And significantly less expensive than CF/ZDP variant. I have few of them and totally in love.
R
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Being a discontinued knife you may be buying from a pool of stragglers that are still left. People may have picked through them and left that one or maybe even it has been returned before. ****, maybe it has been returned a few times. I think this can happen when buying discontinued stuff.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I believe the cf Caly knives are still produced. The VG-10 referenced above no longer is.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Oops, read too fast and thought he was talking about the g10 model. Been in the woods too long and am not thinking clearly. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Being a discontinued knife you may be buying from a pool of stragglers that are still left. People may have picked through them and left that one or maybe even it has been returned before. ****, maybe it has been returned a few times. I think this can happen when buying discontinued stuff.
True. Still I bought two "lightly used" Caly3.5 off e-bay. Both came in great condition. I paid $70-$80 for each. I am using one and second gave to a friend. He was thinking that it was brand new. Just ask sellers questions. And if you are planning to use a knife, why not to buy lightly used and save cash?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Yotehntr

Post by Yotehntr »

Ok, I'm very new to Spyderco and don't know who "KW or NGK" are? Some what even on the lines is good enough, just didn't want the lines to run off of one side. (My 3 came close is why I mentioned and watched for it) the grooves in the carbon fiber are why the 1st return. Hated taking it back as I really liked the size and how smooth the action was. I guess I carried a Benchmade for 7 or 8 years.. I really like the way Spyderco "plays" with the high end steels and is the reason for my quick addiction. The lamination is just cool as heck in my book. I understand a little uneven, and it actually shows that it is in fact a lamination. We are talking about an 1/8" thickness so I'm guessing 1/16 center and 1/32" on each side... I can see how a little off center could happen. I should get the replacement tomorrow (amazon prime) I'm hoping everything will be great with it. Every other knife I've had is, surely I've run the gambit. Have to admit I started this post in the heat of the moment... (like less than an hour after getting the 2nd knife). As far as buying slightly used, I get what you're saying, there just wasn't one on ebay. $134 on Amazon seemed like a killer deal for this knife, if it's right. Guess I'll find out a little later today.. If it doesn't work out... maybe I can PM Sal?? Image
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

knifeworks.com and new graham knives.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Yotehntr wrote:Ok, I'm very new to Spyderco and don't know who "KW or NGK" are?
There are quite a few reputable on-line Spyderco dealers, where I bought knives before and will never hesitate to buy again. All of them IMHO have descent prices, excellent service and do not charge state sales tax :) . Knifeworks. New Graham Knives (the company actually is a pharmacy and when you buy a knife, they will send you band-aid as well. They are knifenuts and Annie is a sweetheart), Knifeplus, GPknives. All of them will inspect you knife, if you ask. Some of them have treasure troves (clearance items).
Yotehntr wrote: As far as buying slightly used, I get what you're saying, there just wasn't one on ebay.
It is much more difficult to buy lightly used. You need to watch and be patient. In addition to e-bay watch for sale section of bladeforums.
Yotehntr wrote: $134 on Amazon seemed like a killer deal for this knife, if it's right. Guess I'll find out a little later today.. If it doesn't work out... maybe I can PM Sal?? Image
I understand, I bought two knives from Amazon last year myself. Sometimes their prices that good that it is hard to resist. :)

Yotehntr

Post by Yotehntr »

Woo Hoo! It showed up, the wife was betting it wouldn't show up on Sun, but it did! :) The lamination is pretty well centered, as well as the blade between the liners. The carbon fiber doesn't have any machine marks... it's a keeper! The action is a little rougher than the 1st, I'll be lazy and ask if there's any advice on smoothing the action. I may shoot some compressed air then lube. I checked out the suggested sites and added them to my fav's. I'll do a search on the action (it isn't real bad just noticable after the others) Thanks for all the help folks!
adam569

Post by adam569 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Being a discontinued knife you may be buying from a pool of stragglers that are still left. People may have picked through them and left that one or maybe even it has been returned before. ****, maybe it has been returned a few times. I think this can happen when buying discontinued stuff.
I got the last g10 model from smoky mountain knife works a few months back on sale, it's perfect.
Recent purchases: orange dragonfly 2, CS exclusive paramilitary2, black g10 large chinese lum :spyder:
Wish list: Manix 2 cruwear, navaja, SB delica and SB Caly 3.5 :spyder:
Top 3 edc : s110v paramilitary2 , orange vg10 dragonfly, and Cruwear military :spyder:
Donut

Post by Donut »

I've had a couple rough Caly's in the past (it felt dry, not enough lube) and a little extra lube smoothed them right out.

Some other users say to wash them with soap and water, then lube them. I haven't had to do that yet.

Also, there was a bit of a fiasco with a youtuber commenting about the blades not being straight. The laminated ZDP blades found on the CF Caly 3 and CF Caly 3.5, if you lay them flat on a table, typically aren't perfectly straight. I think it is the nature of the laminated steel.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!