not so sure on S110V

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Chumango

Re: not so sure on S110V

Post by Chumango »

dubya3 wrote: I have a basic sharp maker and am fine touching my blades up and my buddy just told me about a local guy that'll sharpen any blade for $6 and supposedly does awesome work so that may be a good option if needed
Don't let him touch your knife without seeing his work and how he sharpens. If he uses power tools don't do it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

dubya3 wrote:
I have a basic sharp maker and am fine touching my blades up and my buddy just told me about a local guy that'll sharpen any blade for $6 and supposedly does awesome work so that may be a good option if it's needed.
Here's typically what a $6 "sharpening" job will get you. I sold this knife to a non knife friend because he wanted a quality knife. I had taken the bevel down to 10 degrees and then micro beveled it at 40 when I sold it to him.

Before, notice the beautiful mirror polish on that big wide gorgeous bevel:

After:
sbaker345

Post by sbaker345 »

I was expecting that, and I still cringed... I wouldn't trust anyone who power tool sharpens, not that it can't be done right, but its usually not.
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

Sharpening aside, I received the Manix S110V today (just now actually) and all I can say is WOW! The Manix line has pretty much been my favorite design ever since I discovered it but this lightweight in S110V is just begging to be carried and beat up. The lightness is amazing for a folder this size, ergos are near perfect and the steel, well I'll figure that out but I can't complain with S110V for ~$100. Best knife purchase this year and I've bought some rare/nice spydies recently.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

I love my Manix 2 in S110V. Not too difficult for me to sharpen.
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

I think I'm going to invest in some diamond rods and a strop, it's about time anyway. I may even end up buying a second LW S110V to keep as a backup, that's how awesome this knife is for me. One of the sharpest factory edges I've ever had behind my S90V Yo2. I'm impressed and after watching a fee cut tests on YouTube (Ankersons specifically), I'm not worried about the edge at all anymore.

A+ to Eric and the rest of Spyderco on this one! Maybe an XL next? :)
Cory

dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

Evil D wrote:
dubya3 wrote:
I have a basic sharp maker and am fine touching my blades up and my buddy just told me about a local guy that'll sharpen any blade for $6 and supposedly does awesome work so that may be a good option if it's needed.
Here's typically what a $6 "sharpening" job will get you. I sold this knife to a non knife friend because he wanted a quality knife. I had taken the bevel down to 10 degrees and then micro beveled it at 40 when I sold it to him.

Before, notice the beautiful mirror polish on that big wide gorgeous bevel:

After:
A buddy found this guy and is going to try him out, I'll let him be the guinea pig and practice on my own sharpening skills for now.
Cory