Optimal hardness for 52100

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
shunsui

Re: Optimal hardness for 52100

Post by shunsui »

Never got the first mule so a 52100 Military would be handy. 62-63 sounds good to me for a Millie.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Sounds good to me. I wouldn't cry if it ended up being 64-65. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
MCM

Post by MCM »

Sounds good! Am in for a couple.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The Mastiff wrote:No one does it like Spyderco and sometimes no one does it but Spyderco!
That, there, would make a nice signature line, Joe.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Looks like I'm getting my first Millie.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I have to start saving fund for this. :spyder:
Chris :spyder:
WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

wrdwrght wrote:
The Mastiff wrote:No one does it like Spyderco and sometimes no one does it but Spyderco!
That, there, would make a nice signature line, Joe.
That put a big smile on my face as well when I read it. Elegant and accurate.

As I have grown fond of Cruwear, maybe Joe can share how 52100 would compare?

Your wisdom is always appreciated.
elmeringalo

Post by elmeringalo »

sal wrote:... We'll make 1000. It was a real PITA to find it rolled to the thickness wanted. It's also a bugger to work with in a production environment. Not too many production folders out there in 52100. I can see why.

sal
I want one :)
No por mucho tempranar, amanece mas madrugo
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

elena86 wrote:
Joris Mo wrote:Was recently trying to find a Cruwear as well but if I won't this will be a great Military user as well. (only have a CE Mili, no PE yet)
Unfortunately don't have any experience with Cruwear yet.
Unfortunately indeed.Try BBS for both Manix and Milie in CPM-Cruwear.I bought both from them.Once you use cruwear you won't look back.Good luck !
Never really got fond of the Manix but 'bought' a Cruwear Mili a few weeks back and it turned out the seller didn't have it in stock so had nothing to sell.
Maybe save a bit more and go for the Bento one, just such an extra fee for shipping and imports. ;)
Also still hoping for a PM2 in Cruwear someday, who knows.

For now also very excited about a Military in 52100!
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Joris Mo wrote:
elena86 wrote:
Joris Mo wrote:Was recently trying to find a Cruwear as well but if I won't this will be a great Military user as well. (only have a CE Mili, no PE yet)
Unfortunately indeed.Try BBS for both Manix and Milie in CPM-Cruwear.I bought both from them.Once you use cruwear you won't look back.Good luck !
Never really got fond of the Manix but 'bought' a Cruwear Mili a few weeks back and it turned out the seller didn't have it in stock so had nothing to sell.
Maybe save a bit more and go for the Bento one, just such an extra fee for shipping and imports. ;)

Maybe a little cheaper than the Bento route but I don't know about the service :)

http://www.zakmesexpert.nl/vouwmes-spyd ... ilver.html
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
shqxk

Post by shqxk »

Every prominent knife makers who works with 52100 gonna say the same that proper heat treat cycle are way much more importance than the number of HRC testing...

Steel like 52100 does abundantly benefit from multi-normalizing, no matter if you stock removal, it is a MUST.

Austenitizing at 1475F 15 min soak then quench in medium speed quench oil. 2 tempering at 400F will get you at 60-61HRC

Freeze treatment must be apply after the first tempering, cryogenic or sub-zero the as quench blade will lead you to crack.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Hey guys. Just some generalizations about the 52100 and Cruwear knives I currently own. I'll keep it simple observations that won't really be a surprise to anybody.

Cruwear is both more wear resistant and corrosion resistant. I think Cruwear, especially CPM Cruwear is tougher ( 1% silicone steels plus better grain on the powder steel version) 52100 will have higher "edge stability" I guess with less carbides and such. It will do the high sharpness very well kind of like super blue though think it's tougher than super blue. Wear resistance is more in the O-1, Super blue , 1095, W2 range . Differing processes can change things around here between steels of this class. 1095v at rc 55-57 and 52100 or W2 at rc 62-3 are both 1% carbon steels but they sure sharpen and cut differently!

So, Cruwear to 52100 is definitely apples to pears IMO. I really like them both. I believe a lot of the high sharpness high polish guys here will like 52100. It does that pretty well and as guys like Bodog with his Bluntcut made 52100 knife have shown it can be a pretty tough, surprisingly wear resistant steel for one with essentially no carbides compared to the S30V, S90V, S110V, M390/204c wghatever/Elmax/ZDP 189 steels guys here are so used to.

rc 62 is in the sweet spot with this steel and I figure it will go over well and sell out fast as much for the novelty of a 52100 Millie as the high performing steel which it is.

joe
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Johnnie1801 wrote:
Joris Mo wrote:
elena86 wrote:

Maybe a little cheaper than the Bento route but I don't know about the service :)

http://www.zakmesexpert.nl/vouwmes-spyd ... ilver.html
Interesting that they put it back up on their site because these where the amateurs that didn't know anything about this blade and told me a week after I bought it that they didn't have it in stock and where waiting for their dealer to supply it... I had to tell them that is was unlikely that their dealer would be able to since it was a rather limited edition blade and it turned out they couldn't deliver. But yes definitely a lot cheaper if it would've been a legit supplier.
Thanks for the heads up but know you know about their service. ;)
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Am I the only one super stoked for this knife?
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I'm a low carbide guy these days and this is really exciting to me, as well. Plus, I need my first Military. There's something about using a really fine edge that is a joy to me. I think more people will be converted when well heat treated low carbide steels become more readily available.

I would also like a cruwear knife, I wonder if Spyderco will ever make more in that steel.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

How about a rc hardness of: 62.6762974
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

How about a differentially hardened/tempered blade in the high 60s at the edge and high 50s at the spine?
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

At this point it seems frivolous to even think about something as insignificant as scale color... still I can't help but wonder :p

I think something murky like gray-green, OD, charcoal, WWII Corsair dark slate blue (no smurf please)... or maybe bright Chinese red :confused:

I'm afraid peel-ply carbon fiber would run up the cost too much. And, as for titanium, for me the Walker liner lock is much easier to close left handed than the RIL.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Charcoal would be my first pick for handle color. (Although I know we're here to talk about RC vs. handle color options :o ).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

How did I miss this thread? 1000 x 52100 Millies, wow. Count me in!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi