What say you? Spyderco traditional

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tdhurl1103

What say you? Spyderco traditional

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

Recently I have found myself venturing into the traditional slip joint realm (e.g. GEC, Queen, Canal Street, Case, etc.). I love a lot of the traditional designs and I love Spyderco, so I got to wondering. Would Spyderco ever consider creating a traditional pocket knife, either slip joint or lock? Now most of you might think, "why?" But deep down, I think we all know why. I'm asking, "why not?"

So,

Some might excuse Spyderco with the reasoning; well, Spyderco doesn't work in bone or stag as a handle material. But if you look at the trend lately, a lot of knife companies/makers are creating slip joints using modern materials, such as G-10. I could go a step further and suggest the use of CF (oh man, a CF stockman patterned slippie, holy moly!!) And further, many companies are starting to create some dang fine traditionals to add to their tactical/modern lineups to tap into markets usually outside their realm using these materials.

Perhaps Spyderco could team up with a high end traditional knife maker and figure one out? Or, or....they could commission a maker like GEC or Canal Street or Case to make one for them? KA-BAR did it with there Dogshead line (produced by Canal Street). And, it looks like Cold Steel did the same thing with there new Ranch Boss. Companies are doing this a lot and have been for years and years.

Personally, I don't think Spyderco would do it, not even on a LE run, but its always fun to talk and dream about I suppose. :D

Am I wrong? What say you?
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
The Deacon

Re: What say you? Spyderco traditional

Post by The Deacon »

I've been wrong before and I could be wrong again, but think the original Kiwis and the Micro Dyads were about as close to "traditional" as we're going to see from Spyderco.

As for me, I'd love to see the original Kiwi return, and a run of LH Micro Dyads would bring a huge smile to my face, but have no interest in slip joints or nail nick openers.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I think if you look at the whole ethos of Spyderco is that it's about doing something different and innovative- but effective.

I don't see a traditional folder with Spyderco branding fitting into the current or near-future line- either stylistically or functionally.

I think the Roadie is the closest you are going to get to the traditional slip-joint-nail-nick folder in the Spyderco line- It's already here and in a range of colours too.
But the Roadie this ended up that way from a whole different design footing than wanting to 'ape' the traditional slipjoint market ;)

Likewise the Clipitools fill that '2 bladed stockman' niche- completely different aesthetically but (in my experience) far more effective in use!

Would there be a 'pointier' bladed Roadie on the cards to make it even more traditional?- Unlikely as there are many other slipjoints in the line up that are pointy, if not the 'slim' blade shape of the traditional knife.

Likewise, a brass bolstered and stag-horned Roadie would probably push the price point north too far.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Same here, Spyderco's innovative traditional is already here, the Roadie is great!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Ever Pingo much? Can't recommend it enough.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

I thought the UKPK type knives were slipjoints.

Or are we talking wood handle, mini non functioning Spydie hole traditional?
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey DEAC? Wasn't that original C-27 jigged bone Jess Horn model pretty much a traditional type folder? I do know that it was the only folder that didn't have the Spyder Hole for opening but rather a trapezoidal indent to use as an opener. Also if I remember right you favs i.e. the KIWI model I believe were the only model that didn't have a pocketclip>> but I think maybe the micro-Dyad might have had that same distinction as well.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:I thought the UKPK type knives were slipjoints.

Or are we talking wood handle, mini non functioning Spydie hole traditional?
I read it as the latter, as you correctly note- there's more than one slipjoint in the line up now:
UKPK
Bug
Honeybee
Grasshopper
Kiwi slippie
Urban Lightweight
Roadie
Squeak
Pingo
DKPK
PITS
- and that's without delving into the previous models
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JD Spydo wrote:Hey DEAC? Wasn't that original C-27 jigged bone Jess Horn model pretty much a traditional type folder? I do know that it was the only folder that didn't have the Spyder Hole for opening but rather a trapezoidal indent to use as an opener. Also if I remember right you favs i.e. the KIWI model I believe were the only model that didn't have a pocketclip>> but I think maybe the micro-Dyad might have had that same distinction as well.
Yes, the C27 Jess Horn is probably the most "traditional looking" folder Spyderco has ever put their name on. But it has a clip, and even though its clip is definitely the best looking of any Spyderco's, and arguably one of the best looking ever on any knife, it's still a clip. To me, that's kind of like putting a trailer hitch on an A C Cobra, :eek: I don't care if it's good looking, I don't care how useful it is, it's an obscenity. Which is exactly why I left the C27 Jess Horn off my list.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

What about the Spyderco/Ramco Laguiole?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Cscoop

Post by Cscoop »

I say no to Spyderco getting into the traditional knife market. If you try to be everything to everybody you will be
set up for failure.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Kinda seems like exactly what Spyderco were trying to improve on when they started out, and would be a step backwards in a sense. The Kiwi was supposed to be that middle ground.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

I can see the perspective of each submission here, and while I'm not 100% on what the OP had in mind …

I also collect "traditionals", and while these are two very distinct approaches to a common function, there is one thing I would love to see … if one of the leading makers of 'modern innovative knives' were to team up with one of the premier 'traditional' makers (e.g. Spyderco and GEC), and lend the modern steels to the traditional designs, now THAT would be something of interest. Sure the "purists" among the traditional ranks would balk and say there's nothing like good ole high carbon steel … and the modern guys would be gripin' about using both hands … but truth is, that little collaboration might very well bring the best of each of the two worlds together … S90V performance wrapped in a beautiful one of a kind stag handle or some captivating ironwood slabs?

I would be sorely tempted by something like that.

~ Edge
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

This very topic was mentioned here not too long ago, if I recall correctly. It seems like I remember Sal saying that it would be very costly to build a traditional slip joint style design--unless they made it in somewhere like China.

Personally, I would love to see a Spyderco version of a traditional slip-joint or even a locking-bladed knife. Here's the catch: What about modifying the design so that it isn't a complete "traditional?" In other words, incorporate many of the traditional aspects that are associated with the traditional slip-joint patterns, but mix in some modern aspects too. (E.g. Locking liner or Integral Lock, Micarta scales, Ti bolsters, screw-together vs. pinned. Maybe consider making it clip-less like the Air). Sure, you are probably going to be looking at an expensive build. No doubt about it. But, I think this could be done. For example, the key would be to make it *look* like a traditional Stockman or Muskrat, but then to also cleverly work in the modern refinements so you end up with a neo-classical type design.

Is this what you were thinking, OP?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

I don't get the appeal myself. I tried a microdyad. It was uncomfortable to use for heavier cutting tasks and more cumbersome to access than a clipped folder with easy one handed opening.

Tried a Queen D2 stockman. More cumbersome to use. Just felt like a waste of time trying to use it at my warehouse job compared to my Military.

It sounds like there might be a market on it based on the responses, but I'm not a part of that market :D
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Joris Mo wrote:Same here, Spyderco's innovative traditional is already here, the Roadie is great!
This.
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

On Edge wrote:I can see the perspective of each submission here, and while I'm not 100% on what the OP had in mind …

I also collect "traditionals", and while these are two very distinct approaches to a common function, there is one thing I would love to see … if one of the leading makers of 'modern innovative knives' were to team up with one of the premier 'traditional' makers (e.g. Spyderco and GEC), and lend the modern steels to the traditional designs, now THAT would be something of interest. Sure the "purists" among the traditional ranks would balk and say there's nothing like good ole high carbon steel … and the modern guys would be gripin' about using both hands … but truth is, that little collaboration might very well bring the best of each of the two worlds together … S90V performance wrapped in a beautiful one of a kind stag handle or some captivating ironwood slabs?

I would be sorely tempted by something like that.

~ Edge
This is what I was talking about. Building a traditional pocket knife, and if necessary, building it out of new materials.

Image (image is of the Cold Steel Ranch Boss)
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

TomAiello wrote:
Joris Mo wrote:Same here, Spyderco's innovative traditional is already here, the Roadie is great!
This.
I respectfully disagree....with both of you. I'm no purist, but if the Roadie had nickle bolsters or was shaped like a Barlow, I'd agree with you. The Roadie is close, but it misses the mark IMO.
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

SpyderNut wrote:This very topic was mentioned here not too long ago, if I recall correctly. It seems like I remember Sal saying that it would be very costly to build a traditional slip joint style design--unless they made it in somewhere like China.

Personally, I would love to see a Spyderco version of a traditional slip-joint or even a locking-bladed knife. Here's the catch: What about modifying the design so that it isn't a complete "traditional?" In other words, incorporate many of the traditional aspects that are associated with the traditional slip-joint patterns, but mix in some modern aspects too. (E.g. Locking liner or Integral Lock, Micarta scales, Ti bolsters, screw-together vs. pinned. Maybe consider making it clip-less like the Air). Sure, you are probably going to be looking at an expensive build. No doubt about it. But, I think this could be done. For example, the key would be to make it *look* like a traditional Stockman or Muskrat, but then to also cleverly work in the modern refinements so you end up with a neo-classical type design.

Is this what you were thinking, OP?
Yup, this is what I was talking about. I started off just asking about a traditional slip joint like this.

But thought I'd add in the newer materials and collaboration with a maker (example maker; TA Davidson who makes some totally awesome traditionals using all sorts of materials) aspect. Also, I hinted at collaborating with a company such as Case (who are already tooled to build such knives) in an attempt to justify some costs. Spyderco does not need to retool anything, or spec it out for Chinese factories, to do this. A design, couple of meetings and phone calls, and some money....bam! LOL
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Let me resurrect this conversation:

With the Barlow patterned knife shown at Amsterdam, it looks like this idea is on Spyderco's radar. Yay!

Personally, I've been looking for a traditional patterned knife made with modern materials and aesthetics--unobstrusive, elegant, minimal, attractive, and functional. Basically traditional shaped.

Dream Knife idea:
2.25-2.75" clip point Barlow or mini trapper/sod buster, sculpted handle scales (cf preferred, but micarta would also be cool), nested liner/compression lock, slim profile, and front flipper opener to keep everything really tight to the handle profile. CPM-M4 would be a fun steel for this because it'll be tough enough to handle a super thin grind, and has the carbon content to be a pseudo-traditional modern cutlery steel.

I'm sure there are customs out there that fit the bill (I know of a really close but bigger one), but I prefer my knife money going towards a company like Spyderco and their proven manufacturing partner in Taichung.