Glock Field Knife 81 Tupperware knife?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Dr. Snubnose

Glock Field Knife 81 Tupperware knife?

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Many years ago when the first Glock Field Knife came out, right before the First Olive Green Glock handgun made the headlines....I got one....if it was good enough for the GSG-9 anti-terrorist unit...it probably was good enough for me....I got one.....because it had a funny sheath which was based around a Sam Browne Military Belt style it was hard to carry even though I liked the knife for general utility use.....I always thought the sheath which had a special retention device making it easy for the user to unlock the knife from the sheath, but hard for anyone not wearing the knife and just grabbing for it....that always impressed me....What further impresses me was how it has held up over the years of use....you see cause I couldn't carry it comfortably it became a dedicated "Garage Knife" cause I still wanted to use it or abuse it....hey it only cost me less than $19.00 at the time. Yes I used the point to open paint cans for many years now...I used the knife for years to plant bulbs and to dig in hard clay like soil.....I threw the darn thing into oak trees all the time (it is a nice thrower) I cut everything imaginable with it....sharpened it on cement cinder blocks freehand while in the field, the original has paint on the sheath plus a layer of epoxy and resin and stains and burns, the blade looks like it went through world world III.....but not for nothing, it still retains a very sharp edge and just won't die....no matter what I have done to it for 25 years.....I was so impressed with this knife that after a few years of use I decided to buy a warranty on the knife (what's that?) I bought a second to put away for future use...figuring when I destroyed the first one...well at least I'd still have an extra.....(you know what I'm talking about)....15 years later I gifted that extra to a knifebro, a collector of fine custom made knives with big price tags attached...(funny) To this day he claims that the $19.00 Glock Knife is one of the best knives he has ever owned and used. I kinda feel the same way....It's just a good all around user...period!!!Times have changed and that Glock Knife now comes in different colors, with and without saw backs...still for a fraction of what the knife is worth (around $30.00)...I said this in another thread on the forum about the Glock knife and I'll say it once more....(to paraphrase myself:"it's the only knife that I know of where if you buy one you have bought more knife than you paid for".....Hey for $30.00 you can't buy a better garage knife. Well my Glock Knife has been in storage for a few years...lost among the garage tools of yesteryear... I decided just for giggles to buy myself a new one....Glad I did....years later it still the same darn knife...exactly!!!....It's really nice when someone gets it right the first time and just doesn't change it and mess it all up....Nice to see it's the same old Glock Knife....This time I got it in the Tan Creamy Color...now all I need to do is get a garage!.....Doc:)

Oh I forgot to mention....something I never realized about the sheath and carry system....yes it's intended for belt carry (best on 2.5" belts)...that said I have been carrying large bowie and other large knives for several years now and I find the easiest way to carry a large knife is if the sheath has the old Sam Browne Stud (old term frog) on the facing, that when slipped into the waistband underneath a belt the stud prevents the knife from falling below the belt line and makes for comfortable carry...well it seems that the integral lock on the Glock Knife sheath can function the same way...the clip will sit above the belt in the same way I just described meaning you can get away with actually carrying this knife IWB comfortably....something I never noticed before.... but thought worth mentioning.
Monocrom

Re: Glock Field Knife 81 Tupperware knife?

Post by Monocrom »

Very underrated. I love mine!

****, it looks exactly like yours'. :)
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I had one a few years ago and couldn't get on with the sheath- I found getting the latch unlocked a real thumb-buster and it went up for sale.

Shame as it was a tough blade- but if I can't deploy it when I need it then I end up using something else.

Also- absolutely destroyed ex-issue ones of these turn up at UK militaria shows for "as new" money- when I say destroyed, I mean the whole tip areas has been rounded into a 'butter knife' shape from prying thing open and getting reground back to usefulness....I suspect that the troops using them use 'em for opening crates and the like all day.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

No idea, never seen one before but I love that style saw teeth. That's how Victorinox do theirs and those little blades will zip through anything.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Evil D wrote:No idea, never seen one before but I love that style saw teeth. That's how Victorinox do theirs and those little blades will zip through anything.
It's more of a root saw on the Glock. The teeth really aren't as sharp as on a SAK.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Evil D wrote:... I love that style saw teeth. That's how Victorinox do theirs and those little blades will zip through anything.
It's the field knife of the Austrian Army and available in two versions: 78 = no "saw" / 81 = with "saw".
What the "saw" concerns, it' s more a rough rasp than a saw and in now way comparable to SAK-saws. I for my person prefer model 78 to 81 at any time. This "saw" is annoying ;)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Demoncase: Strong side carry: If you would have put your right index finger under the elongated steel section of the guard, and pressed the latch with you right thumb pad...the knife would have popped up into your waiting hand each and every time. Kinda like a push and pull thingy......Peter: I like the saw part of the 81 and think it a wise choice for field use, camping and the such....The rasp (as it has been called in this thread) actually works well....no...not sawing down trees....however it makes for some ready to light saw dust for fire starting and to me that alone is worth the saw.....Though this knife would not be my first choice in a SD situation, due to it's 6 .5" small blade length, it could serve in that manner if need be. I noticed the point on my new Glock is not very pointy, more butter knife round, and probably better for opening paint cans with the tip......since my painting days are over I decided to sharpen the swedge or clip, this in turn has change the point configuration from a rounded point to an actual triangle, (as the two leading edges from both sides of the blade meet) this in turn will strengthen the point for penetration. The knife blade is not large or heavy enough to make effective back cuts so the only reason to do this would be to make a better penetrating point....If you plan on using one for SD I would highly recommend that the clip be sharpened.....Doc:)
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

I bought one for what I call my truck knife. I watched a few destruction videos and decided it's the perfect knife to keep in my truck box. I greased it up tossed it in and it's been back there for a few years. In good shape still ready if there is ever an emergency. Cheap tough and functional.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

I like this knife, but the etool is junk. Used one I bought when I was in the Marines and after one week in the field, I went back to the issued etool. Tool wouldn't stay in the locked position in use. The round handle spins in your grip and thats a horrible idea with a telescoping handle. The saw was also bad in real world use.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I agree with you enduraguy...as good as the Glock 78/81's are is as bad as the etool is....Sometimes I think the whole concept of folding compact shovel makes for problems...Gerber seems to make a much better version...but the fixed one like Ames, or even Cold Steel seem to suit my purposes better...I try and stay away from the one's made in China (even the German models made in China)
I have not had good experiences with those either......Doc:)
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Demoncase: Strong side carry: If you would have put your right index finger under the elongated steel section of the guard, and pressed the latch with you right thumb pad...the knife would have popped up into your waiting hand each and every time. Kinda like a push and pull thingy......
Yep- tried that- mine just refused to co-operate.
Even tried it mounted en-garde, tip up on my chest rig and it wasn't having any of it with gravity assisting the operation.

Switched to a 1980s Gerber Mk2 in a leather sheath and I've not looked back. ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thank you, Doc, for the great info, story, and Glock Knife pictures! I really like this knife. Oh and by the way, for those of you who do not like the sheath/scabbard that comes with it, there is now a special kydex sheath for the Glock field knife.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Thank you, Doc, for the great info, story, and Glock Knife pictures! I really like this knife. Oh and by the way, for those of you who do not like the sheath/scabbard that comes with it, there is now a special kydex sheath for the Glock field knife.
I actually like the stock sheath. Yeah, it's a bit noisy. But you can withdraw the knife with one hand. Plus, if you need a quiet as **** sentry-removal tool, a pistol with a silencer works much better than any knife. ;)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I too like the stock sheath.....Wouldn't be using a Glock Field Knife for a sentry-removal tool.... hmmmm...for that I choose a good Bowie or Kukri....both work just as well as the pistol with a silencer....only difference is your a bit closer.....Doc:)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

demoncase wrote:
Dr. Snubnose wrote:Demoncase: Strong side carry: If you would have put your right index finger under the elongated steel section of the guard, and pressed the latch with you right thumb pad...the knife would have popped up into your waiting hand each and every time. Kinda like a push and pull thingy......
Yep- tried that- mine just refused to co-operate.
Even tried it mounted en-garde, tip up on my chest rig and it wasn't having any of it with gravity assisting the operation.

Switched to a 1980s Gerber Mk2 in a leather sheath and I've not looked back. ;)
Demoncase: Sounds like you must have had a really defective sheath....Looks like sometime in the next two weeks I'll be rummaging through my goods and tools in storage...If I can get my hands on my old original Glock knife ;) I'd be happy to gift you my new one, so you could try it again Doc :D