A message for Golden on the Native 5 LW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

A message for Golden on the Native 5 LW

Post by Surfingringo »

I just got to the states from Costa Rica and finally picked up my forum Native. This is actually my first Native...I like the design so far but I wanted to talk mainly about the build and f&f. Guys, this is one well built knife! Mine is a study in perfection. I am most impressed by the lock! I am a big fan of the backlock and it appears that Golden has gotten this one down to a science. My Native locks up like a bank vault and there is ZERO play in any direction, yet the blade will still freefall when the lock is depressed. As far as the frcp, meh, I still kind of prefer the "softer" feel of frn but the knife feels great in hand and i have no complaints. I have heard a few opinions that the edges of the handle felt too square and though I see what people are talking about I am not bothered by this feature and the knife feels great in hand.

This is an extremely well built knife for its price point. There has obviously been a lot of thought and work put into getting this design (and especially the lock) just right. I just wanted to let the guys in Golden know that I noticed and I appreciate it. Thanks for the great product!
sal

Re: A message for Golden on the Native 5 LW

Post by sal »

Thanx Lance,

I agree with you that they did a great job on development and execution. I'll pass on your compliment.

sal
elena86

Post by elena86 »

It seems the Spydercrew did it again :).Enjoy your new knife :cool: Let's hope they'll implement the new backlock at least on Delica/Endura line.I wonder if the blade freefall when the lock is depressed on the production LW Native.This one could be my first Native also.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey Elena86, you and I have spoken before about blade play in various knives and I know it is a trait we both find annoying. Trust what I am telling you...my copy of the Native has none. Zero, zilch, nada. As a lover of the backlock, i always figured that I just had to accept a certain level of play, even if it was minor. That may have changed. Even the most ocd part of my character, (the part of me that is wiggling the blade and trying to feel some kind of play) just can't find any. This thing is solid! As solid as any ball bearing lock, compression lock, axis lock or anything else I have owned. And yes, the blade free falls onto my finger when the lock is depressed. I doubt they did anything special with this forum knife edition so I would expect the same behavior from the regular production model.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Lance, how would you compare the LW Native to the Delica ? Ergonomy, real use, pocket carry, you name it...
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I cannot yet say as I have not yet used it for anything. I will say that it is not quite as slim as the Delica in pocket but is still much slimmer than something like a pm2. As far as my initial impression on how if feels in the hand...I would probably give a slight nod to the Delica but this one has really comfortable ergonomics too. I will know a lot more after a few weeks of carry and use so I will try to update after I have carried this one for awhile. A Delica with this lock and tolerances would be a pretty awesome knife. I hope they can transfer this technology and craftsmanship to their Japanese factory because they are really doing this one right IMO.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Surfingringo wrote: ..... A Delica with this lock and tolerances would be a pretty awesome knife. I hope they can transfer this technology and craftsmanship to their Japanese factory because they are really doing this one right IMO.
Amin to that !
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

elena86 wrote:Let's hope they'll implement the new backlock at least on Delica/Endura line.
I may have just gotten lucky, but I've never experienced any blade play on any of my numerous Delicas. All lock-up smooth and solid, so I'm a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" sort of person. Making the lockbar thicker like the Native would thicken the overall knife (see below), and that would be a negative for me.
elena86 wrote:Lance, how would you compare the LW Native to the Delica ? Ergonomy, real use, pocket carry, you name it...
I know you asked Lance, but I happen to be carrying both today, so I snapped a few photos. Now, you must understand that the Delica 4 is probably my favorite all around EDC platform, so I'm a tad biased, but I think you'll find my analysis to be fair.

In the first picture, I lined up the pivots. As you can see, there is less FRN handle in both directions from the pivot on the Native. The Native may be a tad shorter both open and closed, but it's not significant enough to worry about.

The second photo shows the ride height, which is pretty close to equal, although the slight edge goes to the Native. That said, the Native is slightly wider when closed. I think they carry relatively equivalently in the pocket, but more on that in a min.

The third photo shows the thickness difference between the two, both the lockbar and the overall dimension is thicker on the Native. In fact, the main difference in thickness appears to be the backspacer/lockbar thickness difference, as the handle slabs on both appear to be equal. I don't find the thinner grip of the Delica to be any worse ergonomically, and it helps me carry IWB, which is my preferred carry method for the Delica most of the time. I don't think most people will notice if it's in the pocket.

The main difference between the two knives for me in use is the choil. On the Native, I'm pretty much forced into using the choil to get a full grip on the knife. When I grip behind the choil, the knife no longer fills my hand, which doesn't feel great. So, although there appear to be two grip options, I'm really only ever going to use one. On the Delica, the one grip option I have works really well for me, so I prefer the ergos of the Delica, but I realize that that depends on this grip working for you which may not be the case. I do find the Delica to have slightly more rounded corners, but I don't think the more squared-off Native to be uncomfortable at all. I'm with Lance in that I can definitely tell the difference between the FRCP and the FRN, with the slight edge going to the softer/less-plasticky feel of the FRN. However, if I had never handled FRN, I would have no cause to complain about the FRCP, so it's a nitpick.

In short, I really like the Native, but I'll always prefer the Delica 4 in FRN. I absolutely adore my G-10 Forum Native, and I think the Native design works better for me in G-10, but mostly because I already have the perfect (for me) FRN EDC in the Delica 4. I'm absolutely glad I got this version, and love the Bi-directional texture as well as the unique color. Hope this was helpful, and hope you end up picking one up.

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

My specimen is flawless as well. I love the knife, the weight, the ergos and the color. I agree about the lock. Mine is a bank vault. The only other back locks that have that tight of a lock are my Sage4 and Chap1 which both utilize internal stop pins. The Native5 is just as tight but does it without the stop pins. I actually have three Native5s and they all have absolutely zero blade play no matter how hard I try.

Double thumbs up!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

I wonder how people judge blade play? I am strict and OCD I guess but I can get almost any back lock to rock a little. Every Seki and Moki back lock I own has a small minute amount of up and down play if I grab ahold of the blade and really work it up and down.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Have to agree the native 5 is my favorite incarnation so far. My first native 5 was the S110V forum native and as soon as i found out about the SE native lw i bought one without even thinking about it. The SE lw has become my new edc and i feel naked without it. I missed out on this forum native kinda forgot it was happening. I've been dabbling in balisongs a lot lately but I'm still picking up choice spydies here and there. I really want to see a new chinook model with this improved lock.
swigert

Post by swigert »

It's a real winner for sure. I'm really enjoying mine. I tend to bum around in gym shorts at night and weekends and it's the perfect in the waistband knife.
Donut

Post by Donut »

We need to start rallying for the C95 to be brought back with the Native 5 lock. :)

I agree that these Native 5's are awesome, in all varieties.

I'm still waiting on the Dark Blue S110V one. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
first1st

Post by first1st »

Surfingringo wrote:Hey Elena86, you and I have spoken before about blade play in various knives and I know it is a trait we both find annoying. Trust what I am telling you...my copy of the Native has none. Zero, zilch, nada. As a lover of the backlock, i always figured that I just had to accept a certain level of play, even if it was minor. That may have changed. Even the most ocd part of my character, (the part of me that is wiggling the blade and trying to feel some kind of play) just can't find any. This thing is solid! As solid as any ball bearing lock, compression lock, axis lock or anything else I have owned. And yes, the blade free falls onto my finger when the lock is depressed. I doubt they did anything special with this forum knife edition so I would expect the same behavior from the regular production model.
Just thought I'd chime in. I have 2 Native 5 LWs and the forum knife. Both regular LWs freefall, unfortunately my forum knife does not. I thought it may have been a tight pivot, but it seems to be the blade rubs against the backlock even when it's fully depressed, tolerances just slightly off.
bearfacedkiller

Lance, is it frcp? I am still confused. The product page very clearly says that it is frn and I have seen conflicting comments on here. Either way I love the knife.
-Darby
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Hmm. I perceive a difference between the material of my Delicas and the Native. It's entirely possible that it's just a different formulation of FRN.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Lance, is it frcp? I am still confused. The product page very clearly says that it is frn and I have seen conflicting comments on here. Either way I love the knife.
It is frcp. It was confirmed on here. Apparently the literature was printed incorrectly.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I thought it was confirmed the Natives were FRN. I'm still confused too.
:bug-red-white
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Again? Oh for crying out loud! Oh well, it still connects my hand to the blade so whatever it is, it works. And I do like the color.

As for fit n finish, mine isn't as perfect as yours, at least not cosmetically. There are a couple things I could nit pick, but the function of the fit feels bomb proof. I love the thick lock with no Boye dent. It slams into place, and it comes out much easier than my beloved brown Native 1. I don't think I'll ever miss the dent. I haven't really felt that it ever saved me from unlocking a knife during my uses. Function wise, I love this knife. I just don't think I'll ever love the handle, though I will learn to live with it and appreciate it for what it offers.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

gbelleh wrote:I thought it was confirmed the Natives were FRN. I'm still confused too.
Ok, I made a mistake. They came out and confirmed that the Manix LW was indeed frcp, not frn as originally reported. I do not know what material they are using on the Native handle. It feels nothing like my frn knives and has the same feel as the frcp Manix's so I would bet it is frcp but I really have no idea. Sorry for the mistake. My memory is...eh. :o