Wicked Edge or EdgePro??

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Re: Wicked Edge or EdgePro??

Post by Evil D »

Ankerson wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Ankerson wrote: Sounds good, here are my Moldmasters etc:

Have you had any issues keeping these stones glued to the blanks and/or do you use water with them? I may not have used enough glue, but my 80 grit came unglued the other day right in the middle of reprofiling a blade because I kept squirting water on it. I guess the more course stones are porous enough that water gets all the way through them and to the glue. Have you used them dry? Do you think that's a good/bad idea?

No issues at all, I use Windex on mine.
Cool, did you also use the 3M Super 77 spray glue or something else?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I use the 3M stuff. :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cool, I must have not used enough. I drown the blank in the stuff this time so hopefully it holds lol. I'm gonna try that Windex thing too.
~David
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Evil D wrote:Cool, I must have not used enough. I drown the blank in the stuff this time so hopefully it holds lol. I'm gonna try that Windex thing too.

Need to put it on the stone and the blank.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well that could be my problem then. I'll do that if it comes unglued again.
~David
awa54

Post by awa54 »

yeah. super 77 works incredibly well if both surfaces are coated and allowed to cure a bit before joining, not so well on most surfaces if it's just sprayed on and clamped. I have used both the genuine version and a no-name/store brand in my previous job for custom car stereo work, both were very effective on lots of different surfaces. Barge cement might also work for your application.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
mal

Post by mal »

Newbie here, in fact I just joined. Looking forward to enjoy you guys and gals in the good ole US of A.

I've been checking out the Wicked Edge and Spyderco EdgePro and figure they are pretty different. The WE being heaps more money.

I saw a Youtube Tutorial on it where the guy taped >1000 - 6000 strips of paper to the WE stoes to hone on completion and to get that mirrored finished some rave about. It seemed impressive and a cheap way to get that super-fine grit.

To a novice, it appears more accurate since the blade is clamped and the stones can be slid up and down in a precise fashion.

Though, not being made of money I think the Spyderco will do me just fine, especially since in Australia our laws prevent the purchase of many types of knives. [ where there's a will, there's a way, lol ]

BUT and my big query is if I'm a left handed person will the Spyderco be difficult to use?
DOES the Spyderco provide a tight fit for the two stones and the end positions?
AND can you get finer grits than the four stones which come with the model I've seen?
I watched the inventor today present a long dvd and he impressed me. Maybe a Texan.

Being haunted with being a perfectionist, I want wicked sharp.

All the best, Mal
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome to the forum mal, the edge pro is made by "Edge Pro", you may be thinking of the Spyderco "Sharp Maker". I don't have the WE but have used other clapping systems and prefer the Edge Pro, the problem I had with clap system was getting the blade clamped in the same spot each time and keeping it vertical. The other thing I really like about the EP is the huge variety of after market plates/stones available. A lot of folks seem to get by just fine with the sharp maker too and honestly I find myself using my SM more than my EP unless I'm re-profiling of fixing a damaged edge.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
mal

Post by mal »

#farnorthdan Thank you for your kind of welcome and your words of advice, I appreciate you.

Yes, I was referring to the Spyderco. lol - my mistake.
Actually, I've seen the EP videos on Youtube and can't imagine myself adapting to the style required for using it. But I can imagine myself using the Spyderco or the Wicked Edged, real expensive rig.
You didn't address whether it's suitable for a leftie? Would you mind?

I was thinking of ordering a Spyderco one hand opening knife and the retailer here in Australia who is a leftie said I'd find it pretty awkward and suggested I get a couple of Benchmade since they are apparently ambidextrous. Do you know if this is true?

All the best, Mal

farnorthdan wrote:Welcome to the forum mal, the edge pro is made by "Edge Pro", you may be thinking of the Spyderco "Sharp Maker". I don't have the WE but have used other clapping systems and prefer the Edge Pro, the problem I had with clap system was getting the blade clamped in the same spot each time and keeping it vertical. The other thing I really like about the EP is the huge variety of after market plates/stones available. A lot of folks seem to get by just fine with the sharp maker too and honestly I find myself using my SM more than my EP unless I'm re-profiling of fixing a damaged edge.
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Any of these sharpeners will work for a leftie, I don't see anything that isn't ambidextrous about any of them. In fact the EP and WE both require that you use both hands.
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

mal wrote:#farnorthdan Thank you for your kind of welcome and your words of advice, I appreciate you.

Yes, I was referring to the Spyderco. lol - my mistake.
Actually, I've seen the EP videos on Youtube and can't imagine myself adapting to the style required for using it. But I can imagine myself using the Spyderco or the Wicked Edged, real expensive rig.
You didn't address whether it's suitable for a leftie? Would you mind?

I was thinking of ordering a Spyderco one hand opening knife and the retailer here in Australia who is a leftie said I'd find it pretty awkward and suggested I get a couple of Benchmade since they are apparently ambidextrous. Do you know if this is true?

All the best, Mal

farnorthdan wrote:Welcome to the forum mal, the edge pro is made by "Edge Pro", you may be thinking of the Spyderco "Sharp Maker". I don't have the WE but have used other clapping systems and prefer the Edge Pro, the problem I had with clap system was getting the blade clamped in the same spot each time and keeping it vertical. The other thing I really like about the EP is the huge variety of after market plates/stones available. A lot of folks seem to get by just fine with the sharp maker too and honestly I find myself using my SM more than my EP unless I'm re-profiling of fixing a damaged edge.
You bet mal, like D said, any of these sharpeners would work fine for a leftie, I'm very right hand dominant but am able to work the EP with my left hand when working that side of the blade. I can't recommend the the Sharpmaker more, it is a fantastically simple system that get the job done.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Sharpmaker is an indispensable tool if for nothing more than micro bevels and cleaning up burrs. It seems no matter what I do on other sharpening devices, I can almost always take my edge a step further with a couple swipes on the ultra fine rods, and I think a part of that has to do with burrs and how ceramic is less likely to create them.
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I finally broke down and grabbed some Moldmasters guys, haven't used them yet but soon. I ended up getting a variety of grits, ended up going with 1/8" thick but am wondering if I should have gone with 1/4" instead. I was very surprised at how inexpensive they were. I ended using Gorilla glue on one of the stock EP stones that separated from the plate and so far its been holding well, I'll try it with the Moldmasters as well.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I got the 1/4 inch, just because they were so cheap. I love mine.
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Yea, I'm thinking maybe I should have gotten the 1/4" now, how fast have yours been wearing down? You're right about them being cheap, I guess I will order the 1/4" next time.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

farnorthdan wrote:Yea, I'm thinking maybe I should have gotten the 1/4" now, how fast have yours been wearing down? You're right about them being cheap, I guess I will order the 1/4" next time.
Mine have shown almost zero dishing whatsoever, even on the 80 grit (I bought the whole grit range). I almost bought the thicker ones because I lap my stones after every sharpening job, which is probably unnecessary but they're so cheap I figure I can waste a little stone in exchange for always having clean/flat stones.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I saw this posted on EDC forum a few days ago and it definitely has my attention....

Hapstone Pro Knife Sharpener
https://www.gritomatic.com/products/hap ... -sharpener

Normally I won't support products that rip off someone elses' ideas, but this thing has a lot of improvements over the original Edge Pro, and they're things that honestly I think should have been improved on the Edge Pro by now anyway. A lot of the changes are things that people have been doing to their Edge Pro themselves, like the magnets and the stone spring and stop collar. But, this thing also incorporates a clamp you can use or not use to hold the blade steady on the table, it looks to have a better range of degrees than the Apex, and the pivot is light years better than the plastic one that the EP uses. It can also use nearly any stone up to 8 inches long and will accept EP stone/blanks. I don't know if there's any kind of patent that's being infringed on here, but I don't think this is any worse than the slew of crock stick V sharpening systems out there that emulate what the Sharpmaker does. At least this guy made a bunch of improvements and changed the name, etc. My main interest is wondering if I can get a Sharpmaker stone mounted into it for working on serrations.
~David
mattman

Post by mattman »

That looks nice...

I've been in the market for an Edge Pro, but trying to track down all the info on mods has been a little frustrating. (I know there is a ton of info out there, but trying to parse it all is... ugh. Edge Pro should have stayed on top of all this, and built his brand to the point that ppl would still be looking at him, now that the patent is done... he didn't, so my qualms about going elsewhere for an improved product are minimal)

Keeping an eye on this one.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

mattman wrote:That looks nice...

I've been in the market for an Edge Pro, but trying to track down all the info on mods has been a little frustrating. (I know there is a ton of info out there, but trying to parse it all is... ugh. Edge Pro should have stayed on top of all this, and built his brand to the point that ppl would still be looking at him, now that the patent is done... he didn't, so my qualms about going elsewhere for an improved product are minimal)

Keeping an eye on this one.
In case you need help finding the essentials, these are the "must have" items IMO. They're all super cheap in cost and make using the EP so much easier, and like you said they really should be standard issue on the EP when you buy it. I don't know why he hasn't responded to these improvements or is at least selling them himself.

Quick change spring:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/edprocospfor.html

Table magnets, I would buy two of these as they fit nicely side by side underneath the table:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tamaforedpro.html

Stop collar to help deal with changes in stone thickness:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/5drstcowhexk.html

They also sell their own essentials kit that has a few other nice toys that you may want but I don't think are absolutely necessary
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/edproesacpa.html

But yeah, if you haven't even bought the EP yet, I would definitely do some more research on that Hapstone. The 5-6 week shipping from Russia part kinda sucks though.
~David
GuntOn

Post by GuntOn »

Tsprof sharpening system looks even more better than Hapstone sharpener. I have WE but I definitely will buy Tsprof system too. Check out at website:
http://www.tsprof.com

In youtbe you can search some good review and demonstration videos.