Wicked Edge or EdgePro??

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Brock O Lee

Re: Wicked Edge or EdgePro??

Post by Brock O Lee »

I thought I was impressed by the Hapstone, but that tsprof takes clamp-based sharpeners to the next level altogether. Wow, what a piece of engineering!

I have been using an EP Apex for the last 4 years, and only recently bought the CKTG accessory kit. I don't even use the EP as often anymore since I now prefer freehand convex bevels with SM micro bevels. It is unlikely that I would fork out the cash for another guided system, but if I change my mind in future I'd be all over one of those tsprof's.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I have the EP and TSPROF. :)

Yeah the tsprof is really something.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Evil D wrote:I saw this posted on EDC forum a few days ago and it definitely has my attention....

Hapstone Pro Knife Sharpener
https://www.gritomatic.com/products/hap ... -sharpener

Normally I won't support products that rip off someone elses' ideas, but this thing has a lot of improvements over the original Edge Pro, and they're things that honestly I think should have been improved on the Edge Pro by now anyway. A lot of the changes are things that people have been doing to their Edge Pro themselves, like the magnets and the stone spring and stop collar. But, this thing also incorporates a clamp you can use or not use to hold the blade steady on the table, it looks to have a better range of degrees than the Apex, and the pivot is light years better than the plastic one that the EP uses. It can also use nearly any stone up to 8 inches long and will accept EP stone/blanks. I don't know if there's any kind of patent that's being infringed on here, but I don't think this is any worse than the slew of crock stick V sharpening systems out there that emulate what the Sharpmaker does. At least this guy made a bunch of improvements and changed the name, etc. My main interest is wondering if I can get a Sharpmaker stone mounted into it for working on serrations.
I ordered the exact set in the picture a couple of days ago, so it should prove interesting.

The stones that come with this particular kit are all aluminium oxide except for one which is silicon carbide. What I’d like to ask is how effective are the aluminium oxide stones on ZDP, S110V, 204P, Maxamet and similar.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I’m lead to believe the aluminium oxide will not cut the harder carbides in some of these alloys. :confused:

All and any advice will be most welcome. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Bloke wrote:
Evil D wrote:I saw this posted on EDC forum a few days ago and it definitely has my attention....

Hapstone Pro Knife Sharpener
https://www.gritomatic.com/products/hap ... -sharpener

Normally I won't support products that rip off someone elses' ideas, but this thing has a lot of improvements over the original Edge Pro, and they're things that honestly I think should have been improved on the Edge Pro by now anyway. A lot of the changes are things that people have been doing to their Edge Pro themselves, like the magnets and the stone spring and stop collar. But, this thing also incorporates a clamp you can use or not use to hold the blade steady on the table, it looks to have a better range of degrees than the Apex, and the pivot is light years better than the plastic one that the EP uses. It can also use nearly any stone up to 8 inches long and will accept EP stone/blanks. I don't know if there's any kind of patent that's being infringed on here, but I don't think this is any worse than the slew of crock stick V sharpening systems out there that emulate what the Sharpmaker does. At least this guy made a bunch of improvements and changed the name, etc. My main interest is wondering if I can get a Sharpmaker stone mounted into it for working on serrations.
I ordered the exact set in the picture a couple of days ago, so it should prove interesting.

The stones that come with this particular kit are all aluminium oxide except for one which is silicon carbide. What I’d like to ask is how effective are the aluminium oxide stones on ZDP, S110V, 204P, Maxamet and similar.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I’m lead to believe the aluminium oxide will not cut the harder carbides in some of these alloys. :confused:

All and any advice will be most welcome. :)
You would have been better off with the Gritomatic (Grinderman) stones, they are Silicon Carbide/Ceramic blend and work extremely well.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Ankerson wrote:
You would have been better off with the Gritomatic (Grinderman) stones, they are Silicon Carbide/Ceramic blend and work extremely well.
Mm...., unfortunately I didn't have a choice and probably because I've used diamonds for so long I was thinking the same again. Anyhow, I just bought three of the Gritomatic SiC stones but the two higher grit stones are out of stock. So thanks for that! :)

Can these stones be flattened with SiC loose grit?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Yes they can.