Is HAP40 prone to chipping?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Is HAP40 prone to chipping?

Post by sal »

Hi Animportant,

I don't think there is a backlash. Just some humor on speculation. We can only guess so much but we'll all know more (hopefully) when we get some of the "stuff" to play with.

sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If I made kitchen knives I would offer a disclaimer that it may chip or roll if abused, especially if I was grinding them super thin. I mean seriously, we all know that most people use and abuse their kitchen knives and cutting bones and frozen food is just the beginning. People also use granite cutting boards and put their knives in the dishwasher. I think that we are getting ahead of ourselves based on a cautious disclaimer given by a knife maker for the uninformed mass public. I am a delica fan so I will be buying one right away and I will putting it to as hard of use as I would put any Delica through and I'll share my opinions.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

If there were any backlash, it certainly was not aimed at the OP and his question that everyone is interested to explore when we get our hands on the HAP40. Seems like no one here besides Sal has had a gram of the steel in his hand.

I invite anyone to read the entire thread, nothing negative was aimed at the OP posing this question. Matter of fact, many seems to be on board with him. Sometimes, people need to understand that everything in a thread is not about them just because they started it. Ive seen people become moderators as OP's like whoa calm down lol.

The ice cream post obviously had a double meaning and it was posted right after a rather pizza ingredient post of steels by one of CS' forum friends. Sal just insisted on his position of seeing for himself. That is all.
Last edited by FCM415 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Yes, they had me at new Delica Endura sprint.

Can't wait to USE them.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I am looking forward to trying this steel and the delica is one of my favourite platforms.

Reminds me of ZDP in SE and the chipping issues reported. I haven't had any and think that version of the delica is fantastic.
Baskin Robins world class chocolate for me by the way.
animportant

Post by animportant »

Must be a case of the Mondays.. Have a good one everyone. Hopefully we all see positive results out of HAP40. To be completely honest, this will surprisingly be my first endura and I'm hoping this steel combined with an all star overall package as the endura is will potentially become a regular carry for me. No one wants to be disappointed when they have high aspirations for their new toy!!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Unfortunately I'm going to have to be the fly in the ointment here. I don't eat regular ice cream, or soy products, so my options are limited. There are some almond/coconut/cashew offerings that are pretty tasty, but nothing close to the smorgasbord of ice cream options.

That said, I'm 100% in agreement that the FRN Delica is probably my favorite Spyderco platform, and unlike my ice "cream" choices, it comes in a wondrous variety of flavors! Bring on more FRN Delica flavors!
Niles

Post by Niles »

A Hap 40 mule is probably a moot point since there's a series coming out, but I'd still like to have it in a mule to give it a good test without worrying about damaging a folder.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Niles wrote:A Hap 40 mule is probably a moot point since there's a series coming out, but I'd still like to have it in a mule to give it a good test without worrying about damaging a folder.
Well, it wouldn't be the first time a mule came out in a steel that had already been used. Although, I have to imagine that if you find it too fragile for a small FRN folder, you'd find it too fragile for a fixed blade as well.

Also, the folders are coming out at around what a mule would cost.

Also, the steel is fine don't worry about it.
Ranger393

Post by Ranger393 »

Good morning Animportant,

No backlash aimed at you at all. Your first post contained a good question. It seems that the consensus here is that we're excited about giving hap40 a test drive to see how it will really perform. I would like to offer my apologies to you and let you know that nothing that I posted was pointed at you in any way. You posted "With all due respect, that's exactly what the ********* forum was saying. That us spyderco junkies will eat up anything that comes out" which I took as a poke in the eye. Not from you, but from the quoted source. My bad. Hope you have a great day and I look forward to future discussions of our experiences with hap40,,, whether good or bad :)

Ranger
sal

Post by sal »

I know one could say "it's just a knife", but for many there is much in a knife and when one considers all of the "never been tried quite that way before" mode, there is much we just don't know.

sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Nothing quite like hands on experience IMO. :)
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

sal wrote: Just some humor on speculation.
The same for me when I was "laughing" at Sal ice cream quote.

Anyway I don't understand everything well at 100% at it''s not my own language.
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
animportant

Post by animportant »

Ranger393 wrote:Good morning Animportant,

No backlash aimed at you at all. Your first post contained a good question. It seems that the consensus here is that we're excited about giving hap40 a test drive to see how it will really perform. I would like to offer my apologies to you and let you know that nothing that I posted was pointed at you in any way. You posted "With all due respect, that's exactly what the ********* forum was saying. That us spyderco junkies will eat up anything that comes out" which I took as a poke in the eye. Not from you, but from the quoted source. My bad. Hope you have a great day and I look forward to future discussions of our experiences with hap40,,, whether good or bad :)

Ranger
Well at first I was offended by what was said on CS. I'd hope that as the often times first test mules for new production knife steels, we would be making good observations and questioning what we are using. Then I feared we were proving them right when I started hearing that it was wrong to question. Then I was like wait don't group me in CS solely because I linked what they said. I'm in no intention trying to bash this group I feel apart of.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

(sad thing is) You will learn soon enough that it's ALWAYS wrong to question anything he says and watch out if he catches you share a personal opinion or experience that he doesn't like.

It's weird, the most active contributor on this site criticizes its fellow members at every turn. It's time to let this ride in the sunset, just that reading them gossip like little girls really hit me the wrong way. For such a sad bunch that we are, it is surprising how often he posts here. Then again, imagine the smear campaign that would ensue if there was a bad breakup. Judging from previous actions, it'd look ugly. It's a balancing act that Spyderco has to do I suppose.
sal

Post by sal »

"Nobody wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can, and if they knew better, they'd do better". You and me included.

sal
Nate

Post by Nate »

Judging by some of the reactions, it is a little hard for me to believe I'm reading the same thread as everyone else.

Let's put this in perspective.

Cliff didn't start the thread, he didn't post a link to it here. Someone asked for some perspective on it and he gave it. He didn't really say anything negative about it other than it was a bit unusual given the range of other options.

Sure, the thread did devolve a little, but people have opinions and should be free to express them. Imo, worthy of an eye-roll at best :rolleyes: I read most of the "hype" stuff to be pretty general, referring more to the knife industry and forums en masse, rather than any egregious Spyderco bashing. Btw, if anyone doesn't think there is hype in the knife industry, you might be interested in this bridge I have for sale, lol.

I've found it is much easier to react with offense and indignation to unflattering comments than it is to remain objective, try to understand the other point of view, and see if there is an opportunity for learning and common ground, but that is still what I try to do. *Shiny Footprints*

I am a huge fan of Spyderco, their products, and this forum, but I am also a fan of Cliff and his forum as well. I don't care for mint chocolate chip though. I'll take my mint with simple syrup and bourbon :)
:spyder:
Ranger393

Post by Ranger393 »

Nate wrote:Judging by some of the reactions, it is a little hard for me to believe I'm reading the same thread as everyone else.

Let's put this in perspective.

Cliff didn't start the thread, he didn't post a link to it here. Someone asked for some perspective on it and he gave it. He didn't really say anything negative about it other than it was a bit unusual given the range of other options.

Sure, the thread did devolve a little, but people have opinions and should be free to express them. Imo, worthy of an eye-roll at best :rolleyes: I read most of the "hype" stuff to be pretty general, referring more to the knife industry and forums en masse, rather than any egregious Spyderco bashing. Btw, if anyone doesn't think there is hype in the knife industry, you might be interested in this bridge I have for sale, lol.

I've found it is much easier to react with offense and indignation to unflattering comments than it is to remain objective, try to understand the other point of view, and see if there is an opportunity for learning and common ground, but that is still what I try to do. *Shiny Footprints*

I am a huge fan of Spyderco, their products, and this forum, but I am also a fan of Cliff and his forum as well. I don't care for mint chocolate chip though. I'll take my mint with simple syrup and bourbon :)
Thanks for the perspective lesson. I'm sure that Cliff is awesome.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Haha this thread has totally...

Can't wait to add some burnt orange to my arsenal!! Bring on the FRN D4 sprints.
Scroop

Post by Scroop »

...and more perspective, maybe the reason for the hype is that (correct me if I'm wrong) with all new steels to show up in a Spyderco knife there has been a mule team offered before the release of a new variant for production. Where's my HAP40 mule???