Is HAP40 prone to chipping?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

Re: Is HAP40 prone to chipping?

Post by awa54 »

DougC-3 wrote:Walt Fulton going 100 mph on a Mustang, said to be a "glorified scooter," in 1952:
(a little off topic, but it's the middle of the night :p )
http://www.shamrockfabrication.com/must ... dtrial.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloff ... acerID=179" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That looks like a cool little bike, but with that "suspension" I don't think you'd catch me doing 100 on it!

...I figured the thread was fair game at this point, since it has gone off-topic in several directions already. btw I like gelato, no chips or chunks please, I grew up on Ben & Jerry's with too many extraneous chunks.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

awa54 wrote: That looks like a cool little bike, but with that "suspension" I don't think you'd catch me doing 100 on it!

...I figured the thread was fair game at this point, since it has gone off-topic in several directions already. btw I like gelato, no chips or chunks please, I grew up on Ben & Jerry's with too many extraneous chunks.
The Mustang had 12" wheels and won so many races (ie, beat so many Harleys) the Harley-Davidson brass finally pressured the American Motorcyclist Assn to get it outlawed from Class C racing. Removing tight curves from the race courses had helped some but still didn't allow Harleys to win often enough :D

...er and as I was saying I can't wait to see how that burnt orange looks and how HAP40 responds to the acids in fruit and vegetable juices in the kitchen ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

DougC-3 wrote: I can't wait to see how that burnt orange looks and how HAP40 responds to the acids in fruit and vegetable juices in the kitchen ;)
Totally the same here !!! :cool:
As the Pingo do not have the same orange as the other, Delica, D'Fly, ...
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
sal

Post by sal »

My last "scooter" was a VTR 1000. Good for a bit better than 120.

sal
BTG

Post by BTG »

AKA, SUPERHAWK, That's appropriate.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I watched a youtube video of a VTR 1000 going wide open on the Autobahn... that may be better than reading about it, but nowhere near like doing it. Also the Autobahn is nothing like the hairpin turns on a Colorado mountain I'm sure :eek:

https://youtu.be/uoybEUs2U0I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Doug,

Thanx much for the memories. Life in the fast lane....when the roses you are supposed to stop and smell are red lines on the side of the road.

sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

sal wrote:My last "scooter" was a VTR 1000. Good for a bit better than 120.

sal
Sweet Mary, that's nice. :D Would that be a manual or auto?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

sal wrote:Hi Doug,

Thanx much for the memories. Life in the fast lane....when the roses you are supposed to stop and smell are red lines on the side of the road.

sal
:)
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Ooops
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

How does it compare to Super Blue?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

GarageBoy wrote:How does it compare to Super Blue?
There's lots of chat about this steel in the HAP40 performance thread, but I'd say that the overall impression seems to be that it gets scary sharp like SB, gets there almost as easily, holds the edge longer and doesn't discolor as much as SB.

I have an SB Stretch and Manbug, which I really love, but I honestly feel that my HAP40 Delica is just as good at scary sharp and keeps that degree of sharpness longer.

Mine has shown no tendency to chip. ...I can hardly wait for the Dragonfly!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...