SE story

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

SE story

Post by Evil D »

Bought some junk I didn't need at a yard sale today. Had to load it in the back of my car and tie down the hatch. The guy doing the selling was a real enthusiastic guy and was going out of his way to help me get the stuff in the car and secured. He got me some rope to tie down the hatch. When it came time to trim up that rope, he pulled out a carpet knife. I had just come from work, so my Dragonfly Salt was clipped in my pocket like always, so I said oh I got it and pulled it out and in one second nature motion, pulled it out/opened it/cut the rope/put it away like any other time I cut something.

So, the guy jumped back like he saw a ghost and says "what the heck did you just do!?" and I said oh I just cut the rope why? He asks with what and I showed him my Dfly. He couldn't believe such a small knife cut the rope in one swipe. I showed him the serrations and he said he had never saw a pocket knife with serrations (he was old enough to be my father so that's a shock). I then spent about 5 minutes watching him cut more of the rope with it and giggle like a kid in a candy shop.

The rope wasn't anything special, it was half inch but it was just soft cotton rope, not manila or anything harsh. I told the guy about the local knife shop so he could check them out for himself and made my way out. It was nice timing since I just got this knife back to fighting sharpness again last night.
WireEdge Roger

Re: SE story

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Great story. A couple of weeks ago I had my 20+ year old Toro push mower serviced and I had to cut a piece of paracord. Like you, I had my all black SE Pacific out of my pocket, cut the cord, and had it repocketed in no time flat. The kid helping me thought it was cool :D
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Pulling out a very sharp knife and seeing people do a double take when it cuts something is one of my favorite "little moments" in life. Some of us around here have been known to get a tiiiiiny bit obsessed with sharp. :rolleyes:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Surfingringo wrote:Pulling out a very sharp knife and seeing people do a double take when it cuts something is one of my favorite "little moments" in life. Some of us around here have been known to get a tiiiiiny bit obsessed with sharp. :rolleyes:

It's a funny fact that aside from actual razor blades, many people really don't know what a sharp edge is really like.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Evil D wrote:...It was nice timing since I just got this knife back to fighting sharpness again last night.
Have you ever posted a video demonstrating your dremel technique for sharpening serrated edges? I remember you posting about that a long time ago and been meaning to ask about it.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

It's one of those moments :cool: Being a spyderedge guy I have to ask: are you a member of the cult ? :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

senorsquare wrote:
Evil D wrote:...It was nice timing since I just got this knife back to fighting sharpness again last night.
Have you ever posted a video demonstrating your dremel technique for sharpening serrated edges? I remember you posting about that a long time ago and been meaning to ask about it.
Here ya go

https://youtu.be/O3oK8nKkX0A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx for sharing your story Evil.

sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I surprised myself a couple weeks ago. I like my plain edge knives but when it came time to finally buy my first H1 blade I heard its best to go serrated. So I bought the new all black SE pacific salt. In front of my house by my door are some huge bushes about 8 feet tall. They had grown out and blocked the path and I just kind of always tilted my head and part of my body to get around them. Well I came home from a long day at work one night and dodged the bushes like I always do. Then it occurred to me to put the pacific to the test. I couldn't believe how the serrations cut through the branches in one swipe. I'm talking branches thicker than my thumb. Well, I pruned the whole thing and the knife is no worse for it. It still brings a smile to my face.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

It's satisfying to be able to show someone what a proper tool can do. Many people think a knife is a knife, but when someone can see and feel the difference it's a cool moment.
I just went on vacation with two guys that I grew up with, I gifted them both a SE Dragonfly Salt and they were blown away by what that little guy can do!
Great story David, I hope he heads on down to the store and picks one up.

Dan
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Evil D wrote:
senorsquare wrote:
Here ya go

And the award for best post I have read today goes.to.the Evil.one, thanks for the video.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Evil D wrote: Here ya go

Have you tried "white diamond tripoli" (one grade coarser than rouge), "green rouge" or "white/platinum" rouge? I've found that the red/ferrous rouge leaves a very smooth and shiny finish, but not as aggressive an edge. The coarser grades are also referred to as "bobbing compound" and an be had in a range of grits from fairly coarse to just short of final polish (jewelers final polish that is).
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Evil D wrote:
senorsquare wrote:
Here ya go

Thanks for sharing!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

That is a cool story EVIL D :cool: It doesnt' blow me away anymore to hear stories like that one because I run into people on a daily basis that have never heard of SPYDERCO at all :confused: And do keep in mind I'm talking about a lot of guys who are avid hunters, fishermen and even guys who claim they are knife fans>> oh they know the names BUCK, CASE, KA-BAR, CAMILLUS and I"ve even had one guy show me a VICTORINOX which sort of surprised me. But Spyderco I believe is one of the best kept secrets in the world of cutlery.

Not to mention what you ran into making a probably average guy aware of what sharp Spyderedges can do :eek: When I converted my boss to Spyderco about 3 years ago he had never heard of them either which surprised me because he iis a real hunting and gun fanatic and reads all kinds of publications that advertise Spyderco>> but it wasn't until I convinced him to get one of the Sprint Run, Nuclear Green USN CAtcherman models>> he fell in love with that one>> Soon after I scored him and another guy I work with both with 2 Delica ZDP-189 models>> they both still brag like kids about those :rolleyes:

But it just amazes me how many people are totally unaware of Spyderco's great product line up. I got my boss's son a 204 Sharpmaker and he became a sharpening fanatic and now owns several Spyderco blades too>> but none of these guys even knew anything about the GREAT SPYDER FACTORY :confused: And again these guys aren't a bunch of hicks hiding in the sticks either>> they are all pretty bright guys up to snuff on a lot of sporting good items. I just let a friend of mine use my M390 Military and I had it sharper than a witches tongue :eek: and he just went bunkers over that one and said he had never had any knife nearly as sharp as it was. Spyderco has to realize that there is a frontier of people who don't even know who they are>> and it baffles me greatly.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Good points all around, JD. I too have witnessed the lack of awareness of Spyderco products amongst many outdoorsmen/sportsmen--which is indeed surprising. However, I have to remind myself that Spyderco was originally founded as a high-end design/concept company, similar to early Porche designs in the automotive industry. Because of this, most outdoorsmen/sportsmen on the "beaten path" aren't likely to discover Spyderco because the beaten path is already well stocked with many other decent brands featuring decent steels, decent ergos, etc. Until these folks have the opportunity to experience a Spyderco (going off the "beaten path"), they will never know what they are missing out on. :) It is pretty rewarding to show them the Spyderco difference, isn't it?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

awa54 wrote:

Have you tried "white diamond tripoli" (one grade coarser than rouge), "green rouge" or "white/platinum" rouge? I've found that the red/ferrous rouge leaves a very smooth and shiny finish, but not as aggressive an edge. The coarser grades are also referred to as "bobbing compound" and an be had in a range of grits from fairly coarse to just short of final polish (jewelers final polish that is).

I have white green and black but haven't tried them, I need to pick up a few more buffing bits. I may also try my diamond paste and see how that works.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
awa54 wrote:

I have white green and black but haven't tried them, I need to pick up a few more buffing bits. I may also try my diamond paste and see how that works.
What vendor are you guys getting all of this stuff from? I know that "Japanwoodworker" has a good display along with Garrett Wade but it sounds like you guys have stumbled on to a good source that has a nice selection? I'm going to try EVIL's method of DREMEL sharpening and stropping and put some time in on it. I think both of you guys are on the right road and I would like to know more. Because super sharp serrations I'm sure would change a lot of minds of people who claim they haven't had good luck with them.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Evil D wrote: I have white green and black but haven't tried them, I need to pick up a few more buffing bits. I may also try my diamond paste and see how that works.
The advantage to jewelers compound is that the base for the abrasives is wax or grease, which makes it imbed in the buff, rather than fly off once it's dry like most paste abrasives would.

Great idea by the way! I had always finished my serrates with a soft faced strop. The opinions on jewelers compound for edges come from working in a jewelry shop and having to resharpen blades with what was on hand, which is a pocket sized Eze-Lap fine diamond hone and the jewelry buffer.

As far as sources for compound like that I'd look to a jewelry supply seller, be prepared to buy a bunch of different compounds and try them... most have cryptic trade names or vague descriptions like "fast cutting, good for hard metals like stainless and 14k white gold" which tell you nothing about what sort of edge you will get with them :P Some actually have a grit number specified, however it would seem to be a different scale than with sand paper or sharpening stones (800 rouge leaves a mirror polish on soft metals like gold!). Our shop gets compound from Stuller, but they're a wholesale only company AFAIK.

http://www.stuller.com/browse/tools-and ... geSize=144

all of those are wholesale prices... I think I'll get a bar of the Dialux green to try out.

I'd also caution that some compounds create much more heat when cutting than others, so a moderate speed on the dremel is prudent, it'll also keep compound from flying off the buff as quickly.

I don't have any cloth buffs, but the next time I need to sharpen a SE blade I'm going to try this with a felt wheel on the dremel!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Evil D wrote:
awa54 wrote:

What vendor are you guys getting all of this stuff from? I know that "Japanwoodworker" has a good display along with Garrett Wade but it sounds like you guys have stumbled on to a good source that has a nice selection? I'm going to try EVIL's method of DREMEL sharpening and stropping and put some time in on it. I think both of you guys are on the right road and I would like to know more. Because super sharp serrations I'm sure would change a lot of minds of people who claim they haven't had good luck with them.

Literally anywhere that sells Dremels...you can pick them up from Walmart even. Black and Decker also make a similar tool that uses the same size chuck bits so they interchange.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

awa54 wrote: I don't have any cloth buffs, but the next time I need to sharpen a SE blade I'm going to try this with a felt wheel on the dremel!

Felt works just fine, though I do prefer the cotton. The cotton will fray a bit and fly apart but usually only at high RPM.

Also just FYI to anyone planning to try this, make sure you only do this with the wheel spinning away from the edge. This seems pretty common sense, but if you try it with the wheel spinning towards the edge it's not going to go over well LOL.