Spyderco Wallet Knife and Wallet Carry?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco Wallet Knife and Wallet Carry?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

This may be a kindof odd question but it is in two parts:

1 Out of all the standard Spyderco knives which would you feel most comfortable keeping/carrying INSIDE your wallet, like inside your billfold, if you would, or whatever else you'd use as a wallet, like a large change purse or neck wallet or whatever?

2 Some of the Spyderco made knives seem to be perfect for this, like the dogtag, and the Spydercard, though it is discontinued.

One problem I could see: If the person were in areas where it would be considered a "concealed weapon" to keep a knife like that.

Also, you would have to first take out your wallet, then take the knife out of the wallet, before you could use it.
dbcad

Re: Spyderco Wallet Knife and Wallet Carry?

Post by dbcad »

There's bem a Bug in my wallet for a few years now. Always nice to know there's a sharp edge handy in a pinch ;)
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

I don't carry a blade in my wallet. There just isn't enough room. At some point, many years back I had a tool logic wallet card that had a knife in it I used to carry around. I pulled it out one day, that sucker did a Houdini on me and I haven't seen it since.

I do this thing every so often though, usually when I'm wearing loose shorts (for running), I will clip the knife to my wallet so its not flopping around in the pocket.

In thinking about it (wallet carry) I don't have a "bug" but I'm sure one of my SAK Alox Cadet knives would fill the void.
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I tried carrying a Spydercard that way once. Decided it was a literal PITA after about the first half hour of sitting on it. Key chain knife makes more sense to me, since anywhere I go that I'm carrying my wallet, I also have my keys, and Jester, with me.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Not for me. If it does work so you don't feel it then I run the chance of forgetting it when I get on a plane. If it doesn't work it just hurts. Plus the problem of accessing it.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Tdhurl1103 wrote:...In thinking about it (wallet carry) I don't have a "bug" but I'm sure one of my SAK Alox Cadet knives would fill the void.
Same here, not a Spyderco, but I was thinking SAK Alox Bantam. Single layer SAK around 6mm thick. My dad has been using one of those for almost a decade, but he carries it in his coin/5th pocket.

Personally wallet carry does not make much sense to me. I am too used to the easy accessibility of a one hand opening folder clipped to the RFP.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

While I don't carry a knife in my wallet, I do carry it clipped in the RRP with my wallet.. I started doing this as I also carry a Traditional in my RFP when I noticed that the bolsters were getting scratched up from the jimping/studs on my knives clipped in the RFP.. Have to be a little more careful but has worked for me.. John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I tend to cary a Spydercard in the wallet when I'm wearing shorts with only one or two pockets. If I'm wearing jeans I just take one of my edc spydies and a Jester on the keys or a dragonfly as backup.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Ecchi-Spud

Post by Ecchi-Spud »

A couple months ago, I (FINALLY) replaced my ancient wallet (held together by bare threads, worn cowhide, and the Whim of the Almighty) with a Maxpedition CMC, which has two zippered pockets -- one for coins, the other for memory cards and USB drives. The coin pocket gets used for its intended purpose, but I never plan on carrying flash storage in the other. Right now, I am SERIOUSLY tempted to purchase a Manbug for that very pocket.

As for Tdhurl's and Brock O's suggestions of a thin SAK, . . . another possibility is a Secretary. Only two blades (one long, the other short -- no other tools), but it's a thin single-layer knife w/ Alox scales. And it fits in that same zippered pocked on the CMC.
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

That's a nice SAK there Hans.

I suppose one could carry just about any small knife in the wallet, but is it practical? Could be, I guess it depends on how thick you want your wallet to be and how tough your butt is. :D
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have a heavy leather Harley Davidson trifold wallet that I've carried for 10 years that I've been itching to stitch onto a sheath, I just haven't found the right knife yet. It has to be rather small but still useful enough to bother. My reasoning for it is to have a small fixed blade on me at all times, for the chance occasion I need to baton the heck out of something or otherwise abuse the heck out of a knife. Ideally I'd like to have something extremely tough, maybe 3V? I just have no idea where to even look for something like that. I even considered a CTKT/Folts Minimalist, but I can't seem to find a Folts in the blade shape I want and I want a better steel than CRKT uses.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I keep an Alox Bantam in my wallet, too.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I have occasionally carried a rather slim Victorinox secretary in my wallet but usually my wallet back ups are 2 €5 bills with the key to my front door folded in them, at least as flat, quite practical and there's usually a regular folder and/or a regular Victorinox in my pockets.
(but they would damage my door if I would have to use them to open it) ;)
I'm not really into the dogtags since I don't like left handed chisel grinds (being right handed myself) but the design is nice and they seem like they would make nice wallet folders.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

This box cutter could fit in a wallet. I paid $0.95 with my mil discount at Lowes. Comes with 5 extra blades.