The Jani Song has landed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
brj

The Jani Song has landed

Post by brj »

I do not love Spyderco because of the manufacturing quality they embed in their products (which they do), nor for having ended (prematurely, maybe) my quest for the perfect folder a couple of years back (which they did when I discovered the Millie), but for favoring function above form whenever possible. It's some of those little gems that other companies might not have risked bringing to market that make Spyderco really stand out in my eyes.

I know we all like different things and what you guys define as gems might potentially differ from mine, but I've enjoyed quite a lot in the past stuff like the T-Mag or Bi-fold, stuff that was so innovative that was basically screaming "People, there is no box" instead of using the stereotypical "Think outside the box" sort of message.

Right now the ranks of these selected out-of-the-roof cool & innovative items have just expanded (for me) as to also include the Jani Song.

The Jani Song is based on 2 very smart ideas: 1/ make the external handle safe at all times & 2/ carefully control the amount of movement allowed to the blade inside an inner handle. The rest is just clever engineering and lots and lots of trial & error (I assume).

With the blade fully extended and the handle grasped inside your hand, there is no way the blade can accidentally close on you.

Still, in order to cover all bases, there is an ambidextrous security latch that is either blocking the blade open (more or less as a fix blade, as in no play at all) or locking it closed (I know I appreciate my piece of mind whenever carrying a sharp piece of S30V in my pocket).

Both the outer and the inner handle are nice & precisely aligned with the blade.

The action differs a bit from your standard bali-song, it will take a bit of adjustment to adapt your grip, wrist motions and how you use the momentum but after that all is pretty straighforward. It also helps if you wander your evenings randomly through the house, practicing your moves and scaring to death your own family members in the process . ;)

Bit of a movie from back in the day.

I'll try to return with a full fledged review as soon as we accommodate each other, for now I just needed to vent off some of the exhilaration, enthusiasm and fan-boyishness (if that's a word). Over and out.
sal

Re: The Jani Song has landed

Post by sal »

Hi Brj,

Thanx much for the comments and pics.

sal
brj

Post by brj »

Hi Sal,

Likewise, thank you for making this happen. Around 2012 I kinda lost hope this would hit the market, but it's all good now :)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Thanks for the eye candy BRJ. When's your next trip to the states, and...how big is your suitcase?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear BRJ:

Thank you very much for your post and your enthusiasm for the JaniSong. You made my day!

Since I conceived the design and built the first prototype years ago, I have hoped to see it go into production so folks like you could enjoy it and appreciate the intent behind the design. I'm very grateful that we've finally been able to achieve that.

I hope you enjoy your JaniSong and that it serves you well (and keeps you entertained) for many years to come!

Stay safe,

Mike
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I can't wait to have my own one, great looking knife with a revolutionary design!
And since butterfly knives are banned in the Netherlands, this will be the next best thing for sure :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
brj

Post by brj »

tvenuto wrote:Thanks for the eye candy BRJ. When's your next trip to the states, and...how big is your suitcase?
Hm, maybe we can meet halfway? Dubai, let's say ? :)
Michael Janich wrote:Dear BRJ:

Thank you very much for your post and your enthusiasm for the JaniSong. You made my day!

Since I conceived the design and built the first prototype years ago, I have hoped to see it go into production so folks like you could enjoy it and appreciate the intent behind the design. I'm very grateful that we've finally been able to achieve that.

I hope you enjoy your JaniSong and that it serves you well (and keeps you entertained) for many years to come!

Stay safe,

Mike
Hi Mike,

I hope the Jani Song gets all the praise it deserves, it's a bit of a mechanical miracle that might need to be handled in order to be properly appreciated. Thank you for the, ahem, stroke of genius? ;)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

DutchBlades wrote:I can't wait to have my own one, great looking knife with a revolutionary design!
And since butterfly knives are banned in the Netherlands, this will be the next best thing for sure :D
This qualifies as a butterfly knife does it not?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

now i just need to figure out how to get one :'( :) looks like a great design!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Looks very nice incorporating some amazing insights from MJ, too bad I'll probably never get a chance to play with one :( Looks like it could be a near perfect EDC. Enjoy it for us! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

This is a very interesting design. I really wish these were available in the US, especially since I could legally carry one (if only I could get one). :(
:bug-red-white
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thank you for the great pics and review, brj. That certainly whets my appetite for this model even more than before.

Seems like I remember Sal saying that depending on how things are received, they (Spyderco) are hoping for a US-appropriate Janisong. Maybe I just heard this incorrectly, but it sure would be nice to have one of these bad boys...
swigert

Post by swigert »

Even if it goes USA living in Washington it's a no go. Dang.

Great pics!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I would love to have one! I live in Costa Rica...I wonder if I could get one here.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Been waiting for this for years. The one time I wish I wasn't in the US.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
DutchBlades wrote:I can't wait to have my own one, great looking knife with a revolutionary design!
As far as I know it doesn't, since it consists of a one-piece handle and the blade just flips out like any other knife without the butterfly knife style steel inserts.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

sal

Post by sal »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
It's never been classified as it has never been produced before, so we don't know. Our plan is to eventually also make them in Golden.

sal
Ray Allen

Ray Allen

Post by Ray Allen »

Is there a video showing one of these being opened anywhere? Can they be flipped? Can they be construed as a "Gravity Knife"? Very interesting!
Thanks...
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

sal wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:
It's never been classified as it has never been produced before, so we don't know. Our plan is to eventually also make them in Golden.

sal
We'll just have to wait and see I suppose...
I can't find them for sale anywhere that ships to the Netherlands anyways, and I don't think I will any day soon.
But atleast that'll buy some time to figure out if it would be/become legal in here.
Thanks for the info and I look forward to any news regarding the Jani Song :)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

DutchBlades

Re: Ray Allen

Post by DutchBlades »

Ray Allen wrote:Is there a video showing one of these being opened anywhere? Can they be flipped? Can they be construed as a "Gravity Knife"? Very interesting!
Thanks...
Not of the Spydie model as far as I know, but there is the BlackHawk version of the Jani-Song wich handles about the same I'd imagine ;)
https://youtu.be/nazq_RmTydE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This one is on the Spydie version, but it's dubbed in Polish from what I can tell...
https://youtu.be/Y1JQP1WhHPo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.