Good News: Anti Knife Law ending?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Good News: Anti Knife Law ending?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/ny-*** ... es-7250847" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What does this sound like? The end of the association of pocket knives with one hand openability, with gravity and switch blades?

People can carry Enduras and Delicas and Sages and Natives and Pacific Salts in New York City again?

This sounds like good news for anyone from there.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Good News: Anti Knife Law ending?

Post by Doc Dan »

This is not likely to go well unless the cops get on board with it. They will always find a way to do an end run around the intent of the law, just as with the current one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Dan Barnes

Probably Not

Post by Dan Barnes »

If you read the entire article, all it says is that the bill passed in the Assembly. That's a victory, of sorts, but it would still need to pass in the State Senate and be signed by one of country's the most anti "weapons" governors before it became law. If I were a betting man, my money would be on it dying in the Senate, or being vetoed by Andy Cuomo.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thank you guys for the feedback. Doc: You mean even IF a pro knife law was passed by the governing authorities, actual law enforcement officers on the street could still find ways to circumvent it, if they wanted to really make an issue with someone over say a one hand opener knife?

I was horrified by what one anti knife person told me, I couldn't believe my ears: They said everyone who carries a folder or fixed blade outside of their home should be required by law to have a "knife license". I pray that never happens because that is unfair to the people because the knife is one of if not our most original human made tools. And so is our right to self defense.
brick

Post by brick »

I'd like to think this is good news but I have to agree with the others...this probably won't go anywhere. It passed in the Assembly last year, too.

I'll never forget the day the SAFE act passed. Cuomo made a statement explaining why it was passed so quickly (we're talking hours from start to finish) and he said that, in essence, they wanted to get it through before the general public had time to organize and oppose it. I've never owned a gun and don't feel any particular desire to do so, but I'll never look at gun control or NYS the same way after that. This is 100% politics, 0% public interest.
-Tim
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

brick wrote: I'll never forget the day the SAFE act passed. Cuomo made a statement explaining why it was passed so quickly (we're talking hours from start to finish) and he said that, in essence, they wanted to get it through before the general public had time to organize and oppose it.
Um...but isn't democracy supposed to be...ah nevermind. If DC can do it, why not NY.
clevelanddean

Post by clevelanddean »

This is a great thing however it comes down to interpretation. In the video they stated that a "gravity" knife is a foot long. Right now a dragonfly would be considered a gravity knife because you can grab the hole, jerk your arm and fling it open, let alone the fact that it locks. What they did here is pass a bill to continue confusion in a more knife friendly light. There is no clear cut, defined measure by which to define what a gravity knife is.

A gravity knife is one that can be deployed quickly....what's quicker than a fixed blade (which is NOT illegal in NY or NYC)?
difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week