anyone edc a retractable pen?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TheRaven

anyone edc a retractable pen?

Post by TheRaven »

I've tried so many pens. I've edc a plain Bic (cap likes to pop off), Tuffwriter operator for a month (drew unwanted attention everytime I took it out), Hinderer investigator for over a year (which I lost), Matthew Martin mini cap pen (basically the same as the investigator). I'm still carrying the mini cap pen.

At work I always carry a retractable pen (just quick and convenient one handed).

If you're carrying around a retractable pen, which one ??
yablanowitz

Re: anyone edc a retractable pen?

Post by yablanowitz »

Parker Stainless Classic. Slimmer than the Jotter, but I think it has been discontinued. I'm on my last one now, having lost two and killed one since 1980.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I greatly enjoy the Pilot Precise V5 RT in 0.5 mm for my daily carry retractable pen. (I do a ton of handwriting each day as a part of my work). The V5 is very lightweight and writes well with minimal pressure. (This translates to less stress on my hand and less cramping). For some reason, I cannot find these locally so I end up buying them online. I highly recommend the V5.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

I carry the Zebra G301. Sweet little pen. stainless steel, gel or standard. they are about $5-7 depending on where you get them. Really nice pens, refills are easy to find. a lot of law enforcement around here carry them. Unfortunately, I have to dig around my room for mine because I cant find it. :confused:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I absolutely won't carry a pen that isn't retractable. Not a chance, I don't care how nice it is, you could give me a solid platinum Hinderer pen and I'd just sell it. Two handed pens are right there with two handed knives and just have no place in my life lol.

That said, I've carried a Boker Cal .50 for about a year now and I like it. I use a Fisher space pen cartridge in it. I like it for two reasons; 1) the clip is "pocket knife style" and can be removed and bent to make it tighter. This is a HUGE issue for me, as it seems I'm always snagging and breaking clips, so I can't carry something like a Parker Jotter or I just destroy the clip, and 2) the bolt action is just fun.

My only complaints are that the area around the bolt has worn quite a bit from the bolt rubbing it, since the bolt is steel and the pen is machined aluminum, and that being aluminum if you drop it and it lands right on the tip, it's going to dent and on a few occasions that dent has prevented the pen tip from coming out. I've been able to fix it by reaming the hole out with my multi tool though. Overall, for the price I haven't found a pen that suits my preferences better.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Off and on, I've EDCed a number of click pens. Usually it's the Parker Jotter most of the time.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I love my investigator.

I have also carried a retractable fisher space pen, and I seem to click it open by accident too often and mark my pockets, so I stopped carrying it.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Zebra F 402. Looks expensive, is not and I have had mine for about 4 years without even changing the ink! Purchased at Staples in a 2 pack for less than $10
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I carry what Sal carries... :)
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I carry a Karas Kustoms Retrakt in copper with a Pilot G2 refill. It's a decent pen, but the clicky mechanism is a little finicky--sometimes it gets stuck halfway out or all of the way out.

The copper is great for my needs because it is heavy (writes well with little pressure required from the hand), and it has been fun watching the patina develop.

(old pic before it had a patina)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Been carrying a Fellhoelter Tibolt for a few months now and absolutely love it, a little pricey but we'll worth it.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:I carry what Sal carries... :)
Ok, I've got to know what that is. I've seen the pen in his shirt (even in person) on a couple of occasions, but I never thought to ask what type/brand it is. :o
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

I have carried and used a Zebra F-402 almost everyday for over 15 years. I have written many a report with one of those and it never let me down. It's a great pen for the money.

Dan
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

SpyderNut wrote:
Ok, I've got to know what that is. I've seen the pen in his shirt (even in person) on a couple of occasions, but I never thought to ask what type/brand it is. :o
A Lamy Safari...
I use both a Ball and Fountain depending on the task...
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
A Lamy Safari...
I use both a Ball and Fountain depending on the task...
Hey thanks, Stuart! I'm amazed to see how many color options they offer. :D Which tip do you prefer? I'm leaning towards "fine," based on my preference for 0.5 mm on my current gel pen.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Pilot Vanishing Point- great pen. Zebra F-701 is ok but the cartridge is poor. Pilot G-2 gel ink works well.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Parker Stainless Classic with the gold clip is my choice:

Reasoning-
1. It's all steel and fulfills the requirements of those 'tactical pens' without looking like a 12th century mace.
2. The refills are in every newsagent and stationer in the UK- and cheap with it.
3. It's Foreign Object Debris Compliant (Aerospace thing- we don't like people leaving pen-caps rattling around the inside of aircraft equipment for obvious reasons)
4. There's no anodized coating or paint to wear off (Or worse- get melted off by the phosphate-ester Skydrol/Hyjet type civil aviation hydraulic fluid at work....I have melted a standard Bic biro in under 2 minutes with exposure to that stuff)
5. It's light
6. It's really rather nice to write with
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I used to carry one, but I went back to a quill and bottle of ink and blotter. :p

No, I usually have a retractable pen stuck in my pocket, one of those 3 or 4 color things. The red is handy for correcting student papers on the spot. PhD students do not always do the best work, hence my job security.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

I have had click pens leak on me and i don't approve of such things, so I carry a Montblanc at work, and then a fisher space pen in my pocket.

I have a Montblanc 149 and a Writers Edition Daniel Defoe, and lately the Defoe has been getting the most use, it is a beautiful pen!

For years I have carried the space pen, and highly recommend it. It is a compact bottom-of-the-pocket dweller that is very reliable.

The funny thing with the space pen is that when the ink runs out it is suddenly and totally empty. There is no dragged out dying of the ink cartridge, it is completely finished.
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

OK. I temporarily got me a Parker jotter. I'll probably end up with most of the pens mentioned in this thread in my quest for an ideal retractible edc pen!