Ebay seller flipping Stepped Blue Titanium Chaparral's that he got for $19 each

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Ebay seller flipping Stepped Blue Titanium Chaparral's that he got for $19 each

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Seriously, nobody kicked a puppy or shook a baby. This world is filled with atrocities and this isn't one of them. :rolleyes: While this is certainly immoral, getting all worked up about it isn't really gonna accomplish much. We appreciate the heads up so we can avoid him if we choose to but beyond that I am not sure what exactly we are trying to accomplish here. Nobody on this forum has any power to rectify a perfectly legal situation. It certainly isn't something that we need to be bickering amongst ourselves about. :( I think a good deed was done here by informing us of this situation but I don't think we need to delve too much further into this. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
zhyla

Re: Ebay seller flipping Stepped Blue Titanium Chaparral's that he got for $19 each

Post by zhyla »

I don't understand what the OP wants. The retailer mispriced an item and this guy got a sweet deal on some knives. Do you want him to return them? That's pretty much between him and the retailer. Did they even ask him to?

Other than having a false story on his eBay listing (misrepresenting his cost) he hasn't done anything misleading. And I'm pretty sure eBay only cares about misrepresented items. He should absolutely sell these for whatever they are worth if he's not returning them. Has anyone here not made a profit selling something they got a good deal on? Sheesh.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Illegal? No.

Immoral? Sure.

I let karma do it's thing.
This. All free lunches get paid for eventually.
stalag2

Post by stalag2 »

I sense some hidden jealousy...

I cant even fathom how such a petty and uninteresting thing ended up generating 3 pages...

And i have to say, i'm happy for him.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Thanks for letting us know Brian, it's hard to stand by your ethics and I champion your right to help those that didn't ask for it. I went vegan about a year ago after learning of some of the atrocities of the farming industry, and it's hard to feel as passionate as the day I quit animals when I'm constantly surrounded with a meat mentality. Don't change you're ethics, change your audience.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Eh, I think the guy is a grade A dbag, I wouldn't buy one that's for sure. I don't mind a guy making a little profit, like if he had sold them for say $100 he would be making back his money and pocketing some cash, while giving others an amazing deal. Oh well. I hope the money is well spent.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Evil D wrote:Oh well. I hope the money is well spent.
Well, based on what I've seen from him, it will surely be spent on more knives. I just hope they're good ones. Sebenzas are ugly.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Evil D wrote:Eh, I think the guy is a grade A dbag, I wouldn't buy one that's for sure. I don't mind a guy making a little profit, like if he had sold them for say $100 he would be making back his money and pocketing some cash, while giving others an amazing deal. Oh well. I hope the money is well spent.
Agreed. If he happened upon a good, legal, deal and turned around and made some money while paying it forward to others it'd show him as a decent human being
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

This all comes down to character and personal greed. Some people have so little of one and too much of the other.
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Surfingringo wrote:
demoncase wrote:It sucks, it's not nice- but at the end of the day will anyone really care in a week?...Or a month?....Or a year?...No-one's hurt, no-one's died- it's just a bit of a shame.

Sigh, shake your head and move on- which is what I'll be doing here. :)
Will anyone care in a week? Nah, probably not, but personally I am glad to have the information. I know not to do business with Comeuppance now. When conducting business with strangers on the internet (which i occasionally do on Bladeforums) their business ethics are relevant. I have no idea if it was appropriate to post here but, again, I am glad to have the information.

FWIW: There is a subforum called "Feedback: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" on BF where people post both good and bad reviews of sellers.
For sure- But it's the whole Voltaire thing I espouse in these situations: "Weed your own garden" ;)
can't freehand

Post by can't freehand »

brian0918 wrote:FYI - this seller got these for $19 each due to a listing error from a legitimate Spyderco dealer.

Now he's listing them at $260 each for a huge profit, but claims in his listing that he's taking a loss. AVOID!

When I called him out on his lie, he sent me this:
So your motivation is that you don't like profiteering? You're on the wrong website, bud. I made up a story because if I stated that I had gotten them for $20 apiece, people would try to haggle me down relentlessly. It is true, however, that I had initially planned on giving them away and that the event fell through. That's really none of your business, though, is it? In fact, none of this is.

If you're going to try to make me feel bad for taking advantage of a listing error, then you're going to make equally significant progress beating your head against a wall. Enjoy your petty busybody life
ECop! has already told me there's nothing they can do, so they're out $2100 on these knives:
Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately an internal error listed these at the wrong price. Most of these orders were cancelled (over 400 in fact) , however a few did end up being delivered, 4 to the customer who has now posted them again. Sadly there is little we can do. Thank you for your diligence in notifying us of this situation.

Please take a minute to report his listing. Maybe eBay will take it down.
Definitely contact Ebay and the seller initially responsible for the listing error. This scumbag should pay like everyone else.
can't freehand

Post by can't freehand »

brian0918 wrote:If I hadn't brought this up, nobody would have known. I guess I'm the karma you've all heard about. :D
Someone needs to get in the bladeforums thread and crash this scumbag's little fraud. I'd do it myself if I wasn't banned from there for questioning the Zero Tolerance gods.
can't freehand

Post by can't freehand »

brian0918 wrote:Ahh yep, they actually blocked me from the thread, deleted my posts, and gave me a warning. Here's what the admin had to say. Note their specific comments underlined.
You have received a warning at BladeForums.com.

Reason:
-------
Interfering with an Exchange thread

Do not post unnecessary comments in an Exchange thread.
Do not critique the seller or the item or the price.
If you aren't actually taking the knife, stay out.

-------

Bladeforums provides these Exchange forums for paid members. The seller owes no explanation for his pricing. Frankly, he should just post his prices and pictures and terms and leave it at that.

But he is under no obligation to conform to your moral outlook. The dealer is aware of his own error and can take it from there.

If you have evidence of a problem, Report Post is appropriate. Interfering with a sale is not.
-------
So they make moral exceptions for paid members. Nice to know!

And to clarify, the very first thing I did on that forum was click Report Post. But the mod is now pretending I didn't do that.
Ah, nevermind then. Typical Bladeforums incompetent moderation, run by imbeciles.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Shinny footprints.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Tony18

Post by Tony18 »

The listing was $19 he bought them and paid the asking price so he didn't steal anything. And he's selling them at a fair price so he's not ripping no one off. Even if he sold them for $500 no one is forced to buy them. Morally wrong yes, but I don't think it's a serious as some are making it. It's 2015 and in the world we live in you've gotta be on your A game all the time and the seller wasn't. It's a little sad it's that way but that's just the way it is.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Tdhurl1103 wrote:This all comes down to character and personal greed. Some people have so little of one and too much of the other.
I'm sorry to see it but this is what the secondary market in knives has become for too many sellers.
brian0918

Post by brian0918 »

stalag2 wrote:I sense some hidden jealousy...
Any jealousy you sense is only projection on your part.
brian0918

Post by brian0918 »

can't freehand wrote:
brian0918 wrote:If I hadn't brought this up, nobody would have known. I guess I'm the karma you've all heard about. :D
Someone needs to get in the bladeforums thread and crash this scumbag's little fraud. I'd do it myself if I wasn't banned from there for questioning the Zero Tolerance gods.
I tried doing that. I posted several replies with all the evidence, and a couple (but not all) forum members responded favorably. Then a moderator with 77,000 posts came along, deleted all the replies, and gave me a warning. He said I was new there and had no right to tell them how to run their site, that the seller was a paid member of the forum, and they have "no obligation to conform to [my] moral outlook." o_O
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

brian0918 wrote:I tried doing that. I posted several replies with all the evidence, and a couple (but not all) forum members responded favorably. Then a moderator with 77,000 posts came along, deleted all the replies, and gave me a warning. He said I was new there and had no right to tell them how to run their site, that the seller was a paid member of the forum, and they have "no obligation to conform to [my] moral outlook." o_O
Not surprised at all, when I joined BF and was cheated by a seller the mods did nothing about it just because he was a paid member and me just a new guy from Europe. By contrast he was banned immediately from Jerzee Devil...

Lying on Ebay, unfortunately, is very often the case.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

To be clear, this isn't some kind of paid member protection on BF. BF has a strict policy that in for-sale threads posts should not be critical of the knives/seller, they have other forums for that. For example, you can start a thread in GB&U, reference that thread and outline your argument for the moral infraction of the seller and the corresponding moral obligation others have in response (which I assume is to not buy the knives).