Ebay seller flipping Stepped Blue Titanium Chaparral's that he got for $19 each

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
brian0918

Ebay seller flipping Stepped Blue Titanium Chaparral's that he got for $19 each

Post by brian0918 »

FYI - this seller got these for $19 each due to a listing error from a legitimate Spyderco dealer.

Now he's listing them at $260 each for a huge profit, but claims in his listing that he's taking a loss. AVOID!

When I called him out on his lie, he sent me this:
So your motivation is that you don't like profiteering? You're on the wrong website, bud. I made up a story because if I stated that I had gotten them for $20 apiece, people would try to haggle me down relentlessly. It is true, however, that I had initially planned on giving them away and that the event fell through. That's really none of your business, though, is it? In fact, none of this is.

If you're going to try to make me feel bad for taking advantage of a listing error, then you're going to make equally significant progress beating your head against a wall. Enjoy your petty busybody life
ECop! has already told me there's nothing they can do, so they're out $2100 on these knives:
Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately an internal error listed these at the wrong price. Most of these orders were cancelled (over 400 in fact) , however a few did end up being delivered, 4 to the customer who has now posted them again. Sadly there is little we can do. Thank you for your diligence in notifying us of this situation.

Please take a minute to report his listing. Maybe eBay will take it down.
ABX2011

Re: Ebay seller flipping Stepped Blue Titanium Chaparral's that he got for $19 each

Post by ABX2011 »

So what is your connection to all this - just an interested third party? Personally I can't see getting all worked up over this.
tvenuto

Re: Ebay seller flipping Stepped Blue Titanium Chaparral's that he got for $19 each

Post by tvenuto »

If this isn't inappropriate, I recognized the description wording, and he is also selling these on BladeForums under the ironic screenname Comeuppance. Thread here.
brian0918

Post by brian0918 »

ABX2011 wrote:So what is your connection to all this - just an interested third party? Personally I can't see getting all worked up over this.
Writing a couple posts and sending a couple emails is "getting all worked up" in your world?

I'm just telling people to avoid giving profit to someone who dishonestly grabbed a bunch of high-end Spyderco knives for $19. The Spyderco dealer took a big loss on these.

If you see a bunch of $300 knives selling for $20 from a huge Spyderco dealer - a company that gives Spyderco TONS of business -, and you would buy them all up rather than let them know about their mistake - you're probably on the wrong site.
Last edited by brian0918 on Fri May 01, 2015 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

I understand your perspective, and I think I understand his as well. He got the knives for a crazy price, so he feels like he hit the jackpot. Although it might not be right to profit off of it, they legally are his knives, and he has the legal rights to sell them if I'm not mistaken.

I personally think it's wrong to profit off of others losses, but he'll find a way to sell them and make a profit no matter what. It's sad that this happened, and is a huge loss for the dealer that sold the knives.

Matt
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

It is kind of a bad situation.

Ecop is a big retailer and they made a mistake and they honored it. That says a lot about them.

I won't buy one from that guy. I think he is ethically challenged. His profiteering says a lot about him.

I don't think there is anything wrong with flipping knives. It is after all a free market economy, but this is wrong on so many levels.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Dealers don't usually honor mistakes like that.
:bug-red-white
brian0918

Post by brian0918 »

They didn't "honor" the mistake. It's just that everything is automated, and those knives shipped out before they caught the mistake.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

It sucks, it's not nice- but at the end of the day will anyone really care in a week?...Or a month?....Or a year?...No-one's hurt, no-one's died- it's just a bit of a shame.

Sigh, shake your head and move on- which is what I'll be doing here. :)
brian0918

Post by brian0918 »

I suggested reporting the seller. Three clicks. I guess that's too much to ask. My bad.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

demoncase wrote:It sucks, it's not nice- but at the end of the day will anyone really care in a week?...Or a month?....Or a year?...No-one's hurt, no-one's died- it's just a bit of a shame.

Sigh, shake your head and move on- which is what I'll be doing here. :)
Will anyone care in a week? Nah, probably not, but personally I am glad to have the information. I know not to do business with Comeuppance now. When conducting business with strangers on the internet (which i occasionally do on Bladeforums) their business ethics are relevant. I have no idea if it was appropriate to post here but, again, I am glad to have the information.

FWIW: There is a subforum called "Feedback: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" on BF where people post both good and bad reviews of sellers.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

brian0918 wrote:I suggested reporting the seller. Three clicks. I guess that's too much to ask. My bad.
Is he breaking an eBay rule?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Illegal? No.

Immoral? Sure.

I let karma do it's thing.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
brian0918

Post by brian0918 »

He is lying in his post, so whatever rule that would be covered under. There are generic "fraud" reporting options you could select.

If you need a specific eBay rule in order to decide whether or not to report him, maybe you hold eBay in too high a regard.
brian0918

Post by brian0918 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I let karma do it's thing.
I don't put my trust in the supernatural. I do things myself. :p
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Caveat Emptor might as well be Ebay's slogan, everybody knows that. If we have concluded he is a less than honest ebayer then he certainly isn't the only one on there. :rolleyes:
brian0918 wrote:

I don't believe in superstitions or the supernatural. I believe that in a very real way people's actions and behavior will influence events in their life. You reap what you sow.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Caveat Emptor might as well be Ebay's slogan, everybody knows that. If we have concluded he is a less than honest ebayer then he certainly isn't the only one on there. :rolleyes:
brian0918 wrote:

I don't believe in superstitions or the supernatural. I believe that in a very real way people's actions and behavior will influence events in their life. You reap what you sow.
Yep, thats definitely not supernatural. Thats one of the surest natural laws on the books.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I don't believe in superstitions or the supernatural. I believe that in a very real way people's actions and behavior will influence events in their life. You reap what you sow.
I can certainly agree with that.
brian0918

Post by brian0918 »

If I hadn't brought this up, nobody would have known. I guess I'm the karma you've all heard about. :D
joe58

Post by joe58 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Illegal? No.

Immoral? Sure.

I let karma do it's thing.
Yeah, karma. What was the line? Having integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching.

Something like that.