most underrated/overlooked spydies

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
paladin

Re: most underrated/overlooked spydies

Post by paladin »

clevelanddean wrote: And even though I have never had a problem but for someone like me ,in chicago, 2 1/5 inches buddy. If I rock a 3- 3 1/4 maybe a 3 1/2 I have a decent chance of being fine or talking the boys in blue into not caring but the Military, I am going TO jail (more than likely) or getting it taken which you might as well take me to jail or jail and they take it and if by some miracle you could get it back it has mysteriously disappeared.
Length is a big concern in a lot of jurisdictions...

In that case, I'm surprised someone has not mentioned The Balance... :)

Ken & Ted must not have read this thread yet ;)

What an outstanding, visually interesting, surprisingly ergonomic, blister pak bustin mighty mite...

Got one of those hotly-coveted CF models for myself & a SS one for my better half...

Seriously, every Spyder AFI/ELU NEEDS to try these out!
paladin

Post by paladin »

dub tap
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I actually did mention the Balance... a couple of times. ;)
Going back to Caly.
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

paladin wrote:
Surfingringo wrote: I handled the Chubby last week at the SFO...
lucky no one saw you or you would have gotten banned for life from the store :p

This is hilarious!! I can't stop laughing!!
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

bh49 wrote:
NoFair wrote: I've been wanting a Memory a bit, but I have a hard time getting over the blue... Might get a used one and strip it sometime :o
I was thinking about Memory for a while, but I wasn't crazy about the look, the color, titanium (overpriced scale material IMHO), glassfiber (too shiny) and tip down carry. :o
The primary attraction for me was a thin blade. I saw a good price and grabbed it. I like blue now :), especially in combination with glassfiber :) . Tip down is not a problem, this is fine. Titanium? O well, I didn't pay for it :D The knife in person looks much better than on pictures and slices probably better than Caly.
I'm trying to resist here... Prices aren't too bad at the moment, so it isn't too easy :o

The Walker is overlooked by many, but I have no problems with that since it led to me getting mine at closeout prices :D
paladin

Post by paladin »

SpeedHoles wrote:I actually did mention the Balance... a couple of times. ;)
yup...I remember reading you mentioned the "balance" of some model...must've overlooked "THE BALANCE..." as an overllooked model... srry :o

but, previous citation aside, it doesn't diminish my claim EVERY Spyderholic NEEDS a BALANCE or two!!!! :cool:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

paladin wrote:
Surfingringo wrote: I handled the Chubby last week at the SFO...
lucky no one saw you or you would have gotten banned for life from the store :p
hehe
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Moran is often underrated and overlooked, it's a superb little fixed blade.

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

WOW!! There is a pile of under rated/over looked knives being posted.. How does Spyderco stay afloat??? :eek: :D John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

jmh58 wrote:WOW!! There is a pile of under rated/over looked knives being posted.. How does Spyderco stay afloat??? :eek: :D John :)
By discontinuing amazing knives each year that would be selling like hotcakes if people knew what they were missing. :D
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

paladin wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:I actually did mention the Balance... a couple of times. ;)
yup...I remember reading you mentioned the "balance" of some model...must've overlooked "THE BALANCE..." as an overllooked model... srry :o

but, previous citation aside, it doesn't diminish my claim EVERY Spyderholic NEEDS a BALANCE or two!!!! :cool:

No need to apologize, we're all in agreement! :D
Disco sucks. :p

And if you like the Balance, scope out the Lava.
Going back to Caly.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mr Blonde wrote:The Moran is often underrated and overlooked, it's a superb little fixed blade.

Mr. Blonde your point is well taken and I agree with you for the most part>> However this is another model that I wonder why they never tried offering it in Spyderedge. They offered the FB-05 Temperance 1 model in plain edge and Spyderedge both and from what I can tell both variants had success.

The MORAN model is a lot like the Temperance 1 model and I do believe it would be a great performer in Spyderedge>> at least run a Spyderedged Sprint of some of these great fixed blade models. There are so few fixed bladed outdoor type knives that you can get in Spyderedge and the Temp 1 which has been discontinued for some time now.

If anyone would try the Temp 1 or any fixed blade like it in Spyderedge I think the blade would easily sell itself.

But the MORAN fixed blade models are truly a Spyderco icon and they are indeed overlooked and under-appreciated.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

NoFair wrote: The Walker is overlooked by many, but I have no problems with that since it led to me getting mine at closeout prices :D
If I see Memory at closeout price, I certainly will buy one more :).
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

bh49 wrote:
NoFair wrote: The Walker is overlooked by many, but I have no problems with that since it led to me getting mine at closeout prices :D
If I see Memory at closeout price, I certainly will buy one more :).
Shoot me a PM if you do, I'll trade you my spare CF Walker for it ;) :cool:
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Lil' Temperance! :) I haven't handled one myself, but surprised I didn't see it mentioned, at least what I saw.
Going back to Caly.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpeedHoles wrote:Lil' Temperance! :) I haven't handled one myself, but surprised I didn't see it mentioned, at least what I saw.
The Lil Temperance model in it's original construction was truly one of Spyderco's most carefully hidden secrets. It was a tank of a folder and probably the most ridgid of any Spyder out there>> when it comes to ridgidity the Stainless RESCUE model is about the only one I could compare it to.

The Rhino Horn version was always my favorite but I was always perplexed as to why they never made the Rhino Horn Lil T in Spyderedge??? But the leaf blade Lil T in Spyderedge was a brute to be sure.

As far as obscure and under-appreciated you simply must add the Stainless RESCUE models C-14 & C-45 to that list>> because like the Lil T it was truly sort of hidden in plain view. The C-54 big Calypso model was also terribly under-appreciated. The C-54 Calypso was like a salt water crocidile in Spyderedge :cool:
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

If what people are saying about the Sage 3 lock is correct, I vote for it to be the most under-appreciated. (I have never seen one.)

Spyderco makes a lot of knives that are a bit unusual and appeal to a limited audience, I don't consider those to be under appreciated. Within their target audience they are probably very appreciated. But knives like the Sage 3 should be more mainstream. I see a little talk about the Sage 1 and 2 but very little about the Sage 3.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Now from strictly a HaRD USE standpoint I have one model that literally blew my mind a few years back when I was working in an AUTO modification shop. I had one job installing new hardware to a Ford Escape and it was so complicated and so much needed to be removed that I resigned myself to believing that whichever folder I used was going to be destroyed.

I went to my footlocker and found a 440V, full SE Native ( GOLDEN MADE) which was a user I got in one of my BF trades. So I decided that knife was going to be a sacrificial lamb so to speak. Much to my most pleasent surprise it not only took the punishment but I still use that knife on quite a few hard use jobs to this day. It not only held up through some pretty brutal work conditions but it was no worse for wear than when I started the job. I immediately gained a ton of respect for the Spyderedged Native ( especially the 440V model).

The Native and the SE Dodo both are small to mid sized folders that can endure savage abuse and still be fully functional. I hope that the full SE Native can end up being a permanent fixture in the main line up. It seemed like that short but stout blade was built for horrid endurance>> I do take my hat off to the Golden CO USA Native model because it truly gained my respect the hard way.
paladin

Post by paladin »

JD...did you resharpen your legendary 440V Native on your Sharpmaker, or did you send it to Golden?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

paladin wrote:JD...did you resharpen your legendary 440V Native on your Sharpmaker, or did you send it to Golden?
In all the years I've been a Spyder-head I've only ever sent one knife into the factory at Golden Colorado to be sharpened but that was a warranty type problem where they wanted to inspect the blade. I've sharpened all my own knives and edged tools since the mid 90s. Between Spyderco's great equipment and 204 Sharpmaker instructional video and Razor Edge Systems great book i.e. "The Razor Edge Book Of Sharpening" By John Juranitch I've pretty much learned the skill on my own with a little help from a cousin who is a great Barber and a fellow woodworker who taught me some really neat sharpening tricks.

No I've pretty much exclusively used nothing else but my Spyderco 701 Profile kit to sharpen almost all of my Spyderedged/serrated blades. I sharpen all my own knives, woodworking tools and edged tools in general. Between all my Spyderco equipment and my TORMEK unit and all my other various sharpening tools I'm pretty much able to do every sharpening job on every tool I use. The Spyderco 701 Profiles are truly a genius sharpening tool>> I think about as much genius went into designing the 701 Profiles that went into the creation of the 204 Sharpmaker.

In that miserable job I just described I sharpened my 440V, SE Native two times during that nightmare job. I usually don't let any of my knives get too dull I usually touch them up. I do hope that Spyderco does bring back the 701 Profiles or make the Goldenstone in more grit selections.