most underrated/overlooked spydies

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpeedHoles

Re: most underrated/overlooked spydies

Post by SpeedHoles »

Hey Dean, here's to you, a little mix of FRN, and also bolstered CF. Gotta appreciate it all! :)
And all that great choil gripiness... those spines are really something to behold, or be held, haha.

Going back to Caly.
clevelanddean

Post by clevelanddean »

SpeedHoles wrote:Hey Dean, here's to you, a little mix of FRN, and also bolstered CF. Gotta appreciate it all! :)
And all that great choil gripiness... those spines are really something to behold, or be held, haha.

Yeah, I had the Navajo on my list. Hard to find now but it may make it back.

Just to be part of the club I will end up getting a frn. Like I said, probably the matriarch to get my taste for it and the reverse s.
difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week
SpidieGrizz

Post by SpidieGrizz »

The Gayle Bradley Air.

As I mentioned in another post in the forum, this is the knife that allowed me to always have a spyderco with me. When I don't want to be seen with a clipped knife, I carry this subtle blade. It does everything all my other spyderco's can do but in a small yet still functional package. I can flick it open quickly unlike many other small knives which is a huge plus for me. I would highly recommend this knife to anyone looking for a high end pocket knife. Similar to all of the other taichung spyderco's I have, the quality is impeccable.
Domino 204P - Yojimbo 2 S90V - Yojimbo (blue and black)- Tuff- Gayle Bradley - Gayle Bradley Air - Leafstorm - Manix 2 S110V - Manix 2 S30V Black - PM2 S30V - Pacific Salt Black - Squarehead - Swick 3 - Swick 4
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Delica Kahr Arms.VW just come up with a Special Edition Polo Blue GT.Now,a regular Polo is about 16000$,and the Blue GT is well over 20000.And gues what?Most of the time 2 out of 4 cilinders wont fire.They came into action only when you realy need them,at high speeds,and this alows the car to be realy fuel eficient.So you pay more,and get less?I dont think so...
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

SpeedHoles wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:Hmmm... spent so much on knives you're having to ration your Oreos, eh? :eek: :D But when you do it sure is nice to have a good blade handy to do it with :spyder: :p

But seriously, thanks for all the good photos of underrated/overlooked knives ;)

Haha, fortunately for me no need to ration. But when boredom sets in at snacktime, sometimes it's fun to play! :D
Thanks for appreciating the photos! That's my favorite thing to do on these forums, is browse photos... so when I joined I figured I would snap a bunch of mine and post away! And coincidentally, it seems that many of my favorite knives are apparently those seen as underrated or overlooked. :p

So, did somebody say JD Smith??
I just received this one a week or so ago. (Disregard the Dragonfly 2 in the pic, that one is rarely underrated!)

I know it is probably not a considered criteria for rating a knife, but for some reason the JD Smith strikes me as one of the most beautiful knives when closed (as well as open). :)
The JD is on the top of my oldie list, when I see one I'm jumping on it.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

spyderwolf wrote:Delica Kahr Arms.VW just come up with a Special Edition Polo Blue GT.Now,a regular Polo is about 16000$,and the Blue GT is well over 20000.And gues what?Most of the time 2 out of 4 cilinders wont fire.They came into action only when you realy need them,at high speeds,and this alows the car to be realy fuel eficient.So you pay more,and get less?I dont think so...
I think I see what you're getting at. I actually agree with you on this one, I know the higher price and shortened blade are keeping people away from it, but I've been surprised how much I've been enjoying it. The finish details on it are really quite special, and I don't think most people know that where the blade has been "clipped" has a rounded spine like the slysz bowie.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Maybe this fall i will get one for my birthday...a guy can dream :)
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I've wanted a Kahr Arms Delica since they came out, just can't decide between the khaki and denim, ha ha. Actually it's just never made it quite to the top of my want-list. As far as the short blade is concerned, from my point of view, handle size is usually determined by hand size (or comfort or job utility) and blade length is determined by what it's to be used for. :) For example, when peeling fruit, a blade too long is more likely to cut the hand holding the fruit. Some people's mileage varies of course.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I have small hands and the Delica fits me like a glove.Blade lenght vise i fight with cartboard boxes,mostly,so a short,wharnie blade is ideal.
brj

Post by brj »

SpeedHoles wrote:Ok, this thread desperately needs photos. :)

Here's what's good in the neighborhood:
Oreo, huh? dunno, to me the Junior always seemed more the PB&J oriented type :)

I feel the Junior should deserve more attention, it's a really well thought-out do-it-all designed with Spyderco's comp lock in mind.

Another piece that seems overlooked is a very nice design of Eric's, the bi-fold.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've got a different twist and a completely opposite spin on this subject of "under-appreciated & overlooked" great Spyderco models>> first and foremost I believe that many of the most under-appreciated and overlooked Spyders are many of the great full Spyderedged models which got very little fanfare even when they were in the main line up :(

The fully Serrated C-60 Ayoob model, The stainless handled RESCUE models, The full Spyderedged DODO model, The full SE AUS-8 Catcherman just to name a few.

Also many of the early fixed blade models like the original PERRIN, TEMPERANCE 1, VAGABOND and RONIN all seemed to only gain appreciation when they were discontinued :confused:
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

JD Spydo wrote:full SE AUS-8 Catcherman
I agree with you about the Catcherman--I would love a sprint of it in full SE...maroon FRN and VG10 maybe? My yellow SE Catcherman is so light for the blade length, and the overall shape is very cool. As I have said in several other threads, I think that a Catcherman v2 with a FFG, VG-10 blade; a Bi-Directional textured handle; and a 4-way clip would be a big hit.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

GoldenSpydie wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:full SE AUS-8 Catcherman
I agree with you about the Catcherman--I would love a sprint of it in full SE...maroon FRN and VG10 maybe? My yellow SE Catcherman is so light for the blade length, and the overall shape is very cool. As I have said in several other threads, I think that a Catcherman v2 with a FFG, VG-10 blade; a Bi-Directional textured handle; and a 4-way clip would be a big hit.

Not only does it baffle me as to why they quit making the Catcherman in full SE :confused: ??>> but it also confuses me as to why they don't make them with yellow handles as you have pictured GoldenSpydie.>> My fully serratted, AUS=8 Catcherman still gets a lot of using time especially in the kitchen. The Full Spyderedged Catcherman is so useful and practical I'm surprised that people aren't demanding them back again.

The nuclear-Green handled USN Sprint version of the Catcherman is one of my favorites but it would have been great had they offered it up in full SE with the H-1 blade>> because with the super success that full SE, H-1 blades are having to me it would have been a slam dunk.

But again there were many fully serrated, early model and recent model Spyders that didn't get the fanfare they deserved. Just look at the hundreds if not thousands of full SE POLICE and RESCUE models they have sold. Not to mention all the great kitchen models in full SE.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I was struck by the looks of the USN toxic green Catcherman and wanted one a couple of years ago when I first saw it, but when I got the opportunity to buy a new one the other day when they put a few on sale, I didn't, partly because of the molded FRN clip. I've never had experience with one in person and was afraid it might not grip tightly or that I might break it. If there'd been plenty of available funds I would have got one anyway, because you, Joe, and Lance and others have mentioned them several times and I can't remember anyone complaining about the clips.

Nevertheless, I'd like to see one with some kind of light clip held on by a screw or screws, preferably 4 position as Eli says.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

IMHO the Catcherman is better in CE than full SE and the very thin FFG MBS-26 version outperforms the others. H1 does have advantages for long term use in seawater though. Wish they would do another run since I'd like a spare...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

NoFair wrote:IMHO the Catcherman is better in CE than full SE and the very thin FFG MBS-26 version outperforms the others. H1 does have advantages for long term use in seawater though. Wish they would do another run since I'd like a spare...
Hey I can understand why many people would have little or no use at all for a fully serrated Catcherman>> and keep in mind that I personally like every variant of the Catcherman and I own several of them. But for the type of food prep I do on a regular basis and for cleaning fish and field dressing animals I find the fully Spyderedged Catcherman to be a very valuable and useful tool.

Not everyone has the same needs and I can see why many people wouldn't have a need or desire for one. But for the type of blade the Catcherman is and especially with one variant being in the H-1 Salt Series I still think there is a huge need for one in the main line up. Personally I couldn't do without one myself and I find the full SE Catcherman to be one of the most versatile cutting tools I've ever owned.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

[quote="JD Spydo"][/quote]
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

A few I'd like to mention are:

Meerkat - one of my all time favorite edc's
Tusk - carry mine A LOT! Very useful tool IMO..
Burch Chubby - just got one recently and LOVE it!
Zowada - never got to handle one of these but always thought it looked like an awesome knife....would love a chance to try one...
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Zowada is a awesome design.To bad its tip down only.
endgame

Post by endgame »

+1 on the meerkat best little blade around .deep cary clip.the frn is soft.insanly cool lock.reverse serrated blade great cutter.
The spyderco "s" the knife that got me into spydercos.has the compresion lock .looks super cool.razor sharp .lightweight.the edge is thin and with go away after aloot of sharpening but that could be fixed with a redesign.also the original "r"
+1 on the kahr delica.he made that blade sweet smooth out spine gread bead blast finish.I love the shorter stock of the blade with the large handle.way more control when cutting.also the edge he put on mine is perfect