Diet and nutrition, assorted topics

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Re: Diet and nutrition, assorted topics

Post by Ankerson »

tvenuto wrote:
Enkidude wrote:
Ankerson wrote:It's not a natural product, one of those things that if nature doesn't make it naturally then we don't need it.
Can the same be said for coffee(nothing added)? There are tons of mixed opinions whether or not coffee is "good" or "bad" for you.
Well given that wine is the product of smashed up grapes being fermented by the yeast on their skin, I don't think it should be said about either wine or coffee. However, not all of natures chemicals are necessary or productive to consume. For instance, you can pick and eat tobacco leaves straight off the plant, and that will cause you issues, but not because they are "unnatural."

Both wine and coffee can be perfectly fine dietary choices. You might value the mental acuity you get from coffee, or the stress relief you get from moderate alcohol consumption. They can also be poor choices, depending.

No food product is unequivocally "good" or "bad" for you. Be wary of anyone that claims otherwise. Water can kill you. Salt can kill you. You also need both to survive. The dose makes the poison, and everything must be taken into consideration when talking about dietary choices, as nothing happens in a vacuum. While I generally advocate protein be consumed with every meal, if you're about to die of "rabbit starvation" eating protein might be actually dangerous, you need fat.
True, there aren't really any clear lines, not really.

There are things that animals eat that we can't and vice versa so one does have to think about what they are eating.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Ankerson wrote:True, there aren't really any clear lines, not really.

There are things that animals eat that we can't and vice versa so one does have to think about what they are eating.
You nailed it: The Omnivore's Dilemma. We can eat almost anything, so what should we eat? A phenomenal book by Michael Pollan that deals with just this question.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

tv, what are your thoughts on using healthier, more nutritious ingredients, to make snack-type foods and foods normally classified as "junk food"? Does it make a big positive impact or at the end of the day is it still that same basic food?

Example: Pizza: you can make a pizza with white flour, low quality cheese, and sugary rich tomato sauce, or, you can make one with whole grain flour, quality cheese, and homemade sauce. Or say something along the lines of potato chips. One can have the factory made kind, loaded with preservatives and artificial flavorings and colors, or, one could get whole potatoes, cut them up and cook them with some oil and a little salt, and have that kind of potato chips. But would it make a positive impact or not really?
eidah

Post by eidah »

Allot of what you think you know about diet is wrong.

A hi fat, low carb, moderate protein is the best way to go. This may sound dogmatic to you but please read these books
1- wheat belly
2- grain brain
3- the art and science of keto living
4- the big fat surprise
5- keto clarity
SpyderEdgeForever

Well that is good info. I am reading these websites that show pretzels are good for you, if done in some moderation.

" When you grab a handful of pretzels, you’re getting a snack that comes with fiber, iron, zinc and folate. And besides these nutrients, pretzels are low in fat. Hold up, though; this snack can come at the price of too much salt, because some brands of pretzels have nearly a day’s supply of sodium in one serving. Like most foods, the pros and cons vary from one product to the next."

I like pretzels with cheese. :) Also with peanut butter
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Anybody who says that they have a difinitive answer to nutrition is easily disregarded in my book. I don't tend to buy what people are selling (usually a book :rolleyes: ). Your lifestyle, health conditions and physiology all are factors and you should study and learn as much as you can and find what works for you. I run too much to be on a low carb diet. I also eat a TON of fruit which provides almost all of its calories in the form of sugar. I also source many of my calories from rice and beans. I am as healthy as could be. I have low blood pressure and my cholesterol and blood sugar are fine and my resting heart rate when I wake up is around 40-50 depending on how intense my running has been. I am also a naturally thin person at 5"11 and 145 lbs so counting calories is really of little concern for me. Everybody needs to learn about what food contains, how the things in food effect your body and then learn what works for them.

The diet of a person who exercises is gonna be very different than the diet of someone who doesn't and here is one of the biggest problems. Many people are very sedentary and are looking to diet changes as a way to be healthier because they do not want to do the excercise. By excercise I mean an elevated heart rate for over 30 minutes at least 3 times a week and preferably 5 times. Without this exercise people are trying to find ways to get their health under control with sometimes extreme and often unhealthy diets. Any diet that says to eat little or none of one of the macronutrients falls into this category. Variety is important in a healthy diet. With a proper exercise habit you do not have to make as extreme of changes to your diet. Also, just because you can lose weight on a specific diet does not mean that it is healthy and to truly be healthy it is a balance between diet and exercise. These are my beliefs.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Surfingringo wrote:I hate hearing that cottage cheese is a great healthy snacks. It's on the extremely short list of foods that I just don't like. I have tried. I am not a picky eater at all but I just can't like that stuff!
Lance, I am surprised you are looking for healthier foods for a couple of reasons. First, you look fit and between kayaking and surfing you live a more active lifestyle than most people. Second, you live in or at least just miles away from what is called a blue zone (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Zone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) which is an area where people live an above average length of time. Costa Rica seemed filled with healthy food for cheap. Eat what your neighbors eat. I assume fish, rice, beans and fresh produce. It seems to work well for them. Do you get bored with the Tico diet? They do seem to have a pretty narrow selection in their native cuisine. At least that is what it seemed like to me. I could live on it myself. :) I could eat ceviche every day.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:I hate hearing that cottage cheese is a great healthy snacks. It's on the extremely short list of foods that I just don't like. I have tried. I am not a picky eater at all but I just can't like that stuff!
Lance, I am surprised you are looking for healthier foods for a couple of reasons. First, you look fit and between kayaking and surfing you live a more active lifestyle than most people. Second, you live in or at least just miles away from what is called a blue zone (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Zone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) which is an area where people live an above average length of time. Costa Rica seemed filled with healthy food for cheap. Eat what your neighbors eat. I assume fish, rice, beans and fresh produce. It seems to work well for them. Do you get bored with the Tico diet? They do seem to have a pretty narrow selection in their native cuisine. At least that is what it seemed like to me. I could live on it myself. :) I could eat ceviche every day.
Well, I'm 45 and I'm still surfing at a high level in large and challenging conditions. Thats where most of my concern comes from. I'm less concerned with how long I live and more concerned with how long I live well. I enjoy what I do and want to do it as long as possible. Carrying an extra 10-15 pounds can make a huge difference in your surfing. Plus in the last few years I've noticed that making some diet changes can help me get the most endurance possible out of this aging machine. Not obsessed or anything, just trying to pay attention and adapt to the changes. I don't want to be 50, fat and wore out, sitting around talking about how i used to surf and fish. :)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:tv, what are your thoughts on using healthier, more nutritious ingredients, to make snack-type foods and foods normally classified as "junk food"? Does it make a big positive impact or at the end of the day is it still that same basic food?

Example: Pizza: you can make a pizza with white flour, low quality cheese, and sugary rich tomato sauce, or, you can make one with whole grain flour, quality cheese, and homemade sauce. Or say something along the lines of potato chips. One can have the factory made kind, loaded with preservatives and artificial flavorings and colors, or, one could get whole potatoes, cut them up and cook them with some oil and a little salt, and have that kind of potato chips. But would it make a positive impact or not really?
In general, I'd say you're better off making your own food. Also, the effort you'd have to put into mimicking most snack foods is beyond what most people have patience for, so you'll definitely eat less of them. However, I'm not a fan of making "paleo pancakes" or "gluten free cookies" and just filling your diet up with "junk food substitutes." I would, once again, caution you against attributing the quality "healthier" to any particular ingredient. Most people consider spinach to be "healthy," but if you eat 100% spinach you'll be in a race to see if you die before you get kidney stones. Spinach is a healthy choice in an otherwise "balanced diet."

We had a dietary challenge at my gym which forbade eating anything with "sugar" in the ingredient list. One of my clients brought up to me that they looked at a salsa bottle, and found that the brand that had sugar in the ingredients list actually had less sugar per serving (same serving size) than the one that didn't have sugar (or any other sweetener) in the ingredients list. So, while looking at the ingredients list is important, there's nothing to say that the pizza you make might not have a worse macronutrient profile than a pizza you could have bought.

Also, I know I'll get grumbles for this but no one has been able to show me that whole wheat flower is materially "better" than white flour. Saying whole grain cheetos are a better choice than regular cheetos is like saying it's better to hit yourself in the face with a wrench than a hammer.
eidah wrote:Allot [edit: see here] of what you think you know about diet is wrong.

A hi fat, low carb, moderate protein is the best way to go. This may sound dogmatic to you but please read these books
1- wheat belly
2- grain brain
3- the art and science of keto living
4- the big fat surprise
5- keto clarity
Define "best." This would not be a good strategy for almost anyone participating in intense athletics. This is probably a decent strategy for longevity and leanness for most people who are relatively sedentary, but again we need context.
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Well that is good info. I am reading these websites that show pretzels are good for you, if done in some moderation.

" When you grab a handful of pretzels, you’re getting a snack that comes with fiber, iron, zinc and folate. And besides these nutrients, pretzels are low in fat. Hold up, though; this snack can come at the price of too much salt, because some brands of pretzels have nearly a day’s supply of sodium in one serving. Like most foods, the pros and cons vary from one product to the next."

I like pretzels with cheese. :) Also with peanut butter
Nothing is unequivocally good for you. Did you know that you can crush up a bunch of iron-fortified cereals and get a magnet out and collect the iron? Seems kinda strange to me, as you can not do that with broccoli. Maybe you absorb the fortified iron the same, but maybe not. "Low in fat" is meaningless without context. "Too much salt" is meaningless without context. I would agree though that all foods have pros and cons.
bearfacedkiller wrote:Anybody who says that they have a definitive answer to nutrition is easily disregarded in my book. I don't tend to buy what people are selling (usually a book :rolleyes: ). Your lifestyle, health conditions and physiology all are factors and you should study and learn as much as you can and find what works for you. I run too much to be on a low carb diet. I also eat a TON of fruit which provides almost all of its calories in the form of sugar. I also source many of my calories from rice and beans. I am as healthy as could be. I have low blood pressure and my cholesterol and blood sugar are fine and my resting heart rate when I wake up is around 40-50 depending on how intense my running has been. I am also a naturally thin person at 5"11 and 145 lbs so counting calories is really of little concern for me. Everybody needs to learn about what food contains, how the things in food effect your body and then learn what works for them.
I mean there is always a definitive answer based on goals and current state, but I think you mean one definitive answer for the masses, which I would agree is erroneous. Indeed, a high volume of largely aerobic activity will require a higher carb plan. Often we are balancing longevity with athletic pursuits, which are not always synonymous. Some people love their H1, others their Cruwear, neither is wrong, they just have different priorities.
bearfacedkiller wrote:The diet of a person who exercises is gonna be very different than the diet of someone who doesn't and here is one of the biggest problems. Many people are very sedentary and are looking to diet changes as a way to be healthier because they do not want to do the exercise. By exercise I mean an elevated heart rate for over 30 minutes at least 3 times a week and preferably 5 times. Without this exercise people are trying to find ways to get their health under control with sometimes extreme and often unhealthy diets. Any diet that says to eat little or none of one of the macronutrients falls into this category. Variety is important in a healthy diet. With a proper exercise habit you do not have to make as extreme of changes to your diet. Also, just because you can lose weight on a specific diet does not mean that it is healthy and to truly be healthy it is a balance between diet and exercise. These are my beliefs.
I heard a someone say once: "If you're not exercising, you're already sick." I would also say that "you can't outrun a donut" which means that you also can't out-exercise a terrible diet, but it definitely needs to be a combined approach. I also agree that people prefer a quick fix as opposed to taking sustainable steps to improving their diet. Like they can do some strange thing to "lose these five pounds" and then go back to normal and everything will be better.

I think largely we agree, but the books eidah recommended are no doubt advocating a ketogenic diet, which means very low carb. Carbohydrates are not strictly necessary in your diet, you body can make them via a ketone process (thus: ketogenic), and you can live a perfectly healthy life in a ketogenic state. I would also argue that if you found yourself living the woods for a year (depending on location), you'd be in a ketogenic state most of the time. Thus, I would not classify a ketogenic diet as "extreme" as there is obviously evolutionary basis for being in a ketogenic state. However there are trade-offs, as mentioned earlier.

I wish I could push a button and dispel the myth that: weight loss = health. Perhaps one of the more deleterious (and deadly) myths we still seem to live under.
Surfingringo wrote:I'm less concerned with how long I live and more concerned with how long I live well. I enjoy what I do and want to do it as long as possible.
This, my friend, is what it's all about.
SpyderEdgeForever

tvenuto, that is an interesting quote about the 'you can't out-exercise a terrible diet". It reminds me of something I once got into a discussion about, I'd like your view on this:

I was chatting with two extreme body-builder guys, the types who have literally visible muscles upon muscles, and I was asking them nutrition questions. They told me how they each eat something like FORTY EGGS at a sitting (in shake form), entire trays of fish sticks and related foods. I was surprised and they claimed they were absolutely serious and not kidding. Have you heard of that? I have been told some extreme distance runners have also been known to consume mass quantities in one sitting, too.
bearfacedkiller

Excellent points Tvenuto. I think we do largely agree and like you said in the other thread, diet is a very personal thing and people hold strong convictions when it comes to their diet. I still question a low or no carb diet and probably couldn't do it myself. It also seems as though different exercise communities each have their own popular dietary beliefs. Obviously as an endurance athlete I have been surrounded by the beliefs that carbs aren't bad and that you need some. You being a Crossfit instructor I would like to ask you if you support the paleo diet? It seems to be very popular in the Crossfit community and your evolutionary comment also might lead me to believe that you support that diet. I would also like to ask you about different types of carbs. It seems that anti carb folks are largely against grains if I am correct. Is there much of a difference between consuming starches and sugars? I do not eat a lot of grains but I do eat a ton of fruit so I consume a ton of fructose. I eat a 400-500 calories a day in the form of fruit and eat bananas every day, especially before I run.
-Darby
bearfacedkiller

tvenuto wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:I'm less concerned with how long I live and more concerned with how long I live well. I enjoy what I do and want to do it as long as possible.
This, my friend, is what it's all about.
I agree 100%.

My father in law is very obese and he continually argues that his family are all big and that they all live well into their 80's. He claims longevity is mostly genetics which I agree with him on but I also try to explain to him that I exercise to feel better and not to live longer. One look at him and he proves my point.

I have been told (not by my father in law) and might agree with the statement that longevity is 70% genetics and 20% stress and 10% everything else. If this is true then why exercise and eat right? Well the answer is clear, to feel better and be happier.
-Darby
bearfacedkiller

I have a few food tips that help me eat right and that I share with other people. I will think of more and share them too.

Many people I talk to say that they don't eat salads for meals because it doesn't fill them up or keep them full. I like to put some tuna or some salmon and some chickpeas on my salads and I find that is makes a salad both more nutritious and more satiating.

Many people tell me they cannot eat a sandwich without mayo because it is too dry. I do not eat a lot of sandwiches because I do not eat a lot of bread but when I do I put roasted red peppers on it. They really wet a sandwich up.

People also tell me that steamed vegetables are too bland so they must use butter when they cook them. I eat a TON of veggies and I usually cook them in a covered pan with some chicken or vegetable stock. It adds healthy flavor for those who are watching their calories. I do not watch calories much myself but I also don't cook for just one person so I try to cook healthy for my wife and she is more calorie concerned than me. I am just naturally tall and thin.
-Darby
Donut

Post by Donut »

Thanks for making this thread. The numbers in the OP are pretty wild, in my opinion.

I like the idea that the raw materials are cost effective. Maybe that's one of the problems. You ever notice how you go to a fast food restaurant and there's a line of 10 cars at the drive-thru, then you walk inside and you're the only person in line?

I snack to try to stop myself from making poor decisions. If I am hungry, I am likely to eat an unhealthy item because it is easily available. Eating some protein makes a TON of difference in how hungry I am and it makes me feel better physically/during activity. I might need to test out the fiber thing more.

I believe that a lot of the food related scientific tests are loaded. The one previously mentioned "If you drink one glass of red wine per day, you will live longer." Did the test report find out what type of people are drinking "one glass of red wine per day"? The people who drink "one glass of red wine per day" could include a high percentage of people who run two half marathons per year.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Many people I talk to say that they don't eat salads for meals because it doesn't fill them up or keep them full. I like to put some tuna or some salmon and some chickpeas on my salads and I find that is makes a salad both more nutritious and more satiating.
Indeed, they make those individual tuna packets that are super convenient. I'm sure they cost more per unit weight, but the convenience factor is worth it. When in doubt, add protein. Protein = satisfied.
bearfacedkiller wrote:Many people tell me they cannot eat a sandwich without mayo because it is too dry. I do not eat a lot of sandwiches because I do not eat a lot of bread but when I do I put roasted red peppers on it. They really wet a sandwich up.
Nice idea on the red pepper, although I probably wouldn't say the decision to add or subtract mayo to a sandwich is a pivotal dietary choice, I like the idea to sub a pre-packaged food product with a veggie. When in doubt, add veggies.
bearfacedkiller wrote:People also tell me that steamed vegetables are too bland so they must use butter when they cook them. I eat a TON of veggies and I usually cook them in a covered pan with some chicken or vegetable stock. It adds healthy flavor for those who are watching their calories. I do not watch calories much myself but I also don't cook for just one person so I try to cook healthy for my wife and she is more calorie concerned than me. I am just naturally tall and thin.
Now this last one is really a rabbit hole to go down. We live in a world where snack food companies have put countless hours of research into exactly what your taste buds want. "Betcha can't eat just one?" They don't have to bet, they KNOW you can't eat just one because that's the whole point. If this kind of food is your frame of reference, you might find veggies lack "flavor."

Ever come from a rock concert and everything seemed very quiet? Ever walk into a room with a potent smell and after a few min you can't smell it anymore? Did the ocean seem freezing at first? Ever had to wait for your eyes to "adjust" when walking into a dark room? The body has all sorts of mechanisms for enhancing or blunting signals that come to our brain, and we've been throwing a 24/7 taste bud rock concert that has us quite desensitized to what I'll call normal flavors.

People often ask me how I can just eat that spinach, and shake their head like I'm missing out. Unfortunately for them, the real truth is that they're missing out; they can't appreciate how delicious a simple spinach salad with salt, pepper, and olive oil can be. I'm sure BFK can back me up on that one if you don't agree. Also the converse is true: if you eat mostly natural foods, and then grab a Snickers, you'll be totally disgusted by how sweet it is. We do dietary challenges at my gym, and often people talk about how they'll splurge a bit afterwards, by eating their favorite candy or ice cream or whatever. Often I warn them that they might not enjoy it anymore, as it'll seem overly sweet or salty or unnatural tasting. Also they'll probably feel like crap about an hour later, but that's another story.

A lot of good ideas, BFK.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Donut wrote:I snack to try to stop myself from making poor decisions. If I am hungry, I am likely to eat an unhealthy item because it is easily available. Eating some protein makes a TON of difference in how hungry I am and it makes me feel better physically/during activity. I might need to test out the fiber thing more.
Absolutely, protein is super satisfying. Ever watch those survival shows and see how elated the participants are to get even the most minuscule amount of protein? In my opinion you shouldn't really ever think about "getting fiber." You should be getting plenty from the fresh fruits or veggies you eat. "Fiber" added to cereal grain products is NOT equivalent to the fiber you get from fruit like an apple or leafy greens like kale. Think: fruits and veggies (and beans if you like), not "how much fiber do these cookies have?" (I now this isn't what you meant, but just wanted to throw that fiber pit-fall out there for others.)
Donut wrote:I believe that a lot of the food related scientific tests are loaded. The one previously mentioned "If you drink one glass of red wine per day, you will live longer." Did the test report find out what type of people are drinking "one glass of red wine per day"? The people who drink "one glass of red wine per day" could include a high percentage of people who run two half marathons per year.
Admittedly, correlation is not causation, and the two are extremely hard to discern from one another in large scale studies which all involve unique individuals and often "self reporting." Imagine Cliff doing his sharpness tests, with all the issues they already face, and the way you got to compare steels was by asking the knife: "how much cardboard did you cut today?" For these reasons the large scale studies are of limited utility. As always, the studies are dictated by what money is there, and this also leads to shifting of the subject matter to what will get funded, not what is the best question to ask.
bearfacedkiller

I love veggies. My wife and I were trying to make a list of our 10 favorite foods which is basically impossible for me because I love food so much. Interesting thing is that even though I would come up with a slightly different list each time most of my list is produce. I admittedly have a serious love of ice cream, mmm that sweet creamy delisciousness, and it is always my #1. However, broccoli is my second favorite food and always has been. From there on down it can really vary from time to time but apples and green beans are both foods that I cannot go without.

I agree with you about your tastes adjusting if you just give it time. I can't eat junk food anymore.

I don't like sweets except for icecream. I even water down my orange juice sometimes because it can be too sweet for me. I don't drink a lot of oj though. I eat fruit to satisfy my sweet tooth.

Great clarification on the fiber consumption. Lots of processed foods and breads and pastas advertise high fiber. That is not the way to get it. Fruits, veggies and beans/lentils are where I get mine. If you are eating the proper amount of these foods you get plenty of fiber.
-Darby
Donut

Post by Donut »

I was in a supplement store I mentioned low fat milk. The girl working there mentioned that she always buys whole milk and if she wants less fat, she'll mix half milk and half water. She argues that when they reduce the fat, they add sugar to make up for it. The body more easily turns sugar into fat.

I actually did mean supplementing it with one of those highly advertised products. I do eat celery and salads regularly, but feel like it doesn't really kill my cravings like I wish it would.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I like the idea of nutrition challenges.

I almost forgot that I eat Almonds for breakfast. I read something a while back about how important potassium is.

Any thoughts on multi vitamins/vitamins? I take a potassium pill, but it only gives me ~100mg per pill.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:tvenuto, that is an interesting quote about the 'you can't out-exercise a terrible diet". It reminds me of something I once got into a discussion about, I'd like your view on this:

I was chatting with two extreme body-builder guys, the types who have literally visible muscles upon muscles, and I was asking them nutrition questions. They told me how they each eat something like FORTY EGGS at a sitting (in shake form), entire trays of fish sticks and related foods. I was surprised and they claimed they were absolutely serious and not kidding. Have you heard of that? I have been told some extreme distance runners have also been known to consume mass quantities in one sitting, too.
Heard of it? I've done it! When I was powerlifting competitively I went from 168 to 215, on a diet that made several members of my friends and family consider having a food intervention on me. I went from 168 to 180 in 2 weeks, which is close to 1 lb per day. There were many food crimes during this period, but some of the most memorable ones was my occasional breakfast of 4 Mcdonalds breakfast sandwiches and 3 hashbrowns (equal to 2,370 Cals, or 9.9 mega Joules, which is about the energy released by 2kg of TNT). Also, after some workouts we'd drink a protein shake, 1 can of coconut milk (harder than you think), and one of those prepackaged fruit pies (high palatability!).

This is a perfect example of why diet should be highly individualized to the person and goal. My goal at the time wasn't leanness, nor longevity, it was to squat more weight. As such, my diet matched my goals and I was happy with it. This diet would be completely insane for almost any other purpose, though, so emulating it would be folly unless your current state (I was pretty lean to start this) and goals (squatting!) matched mine. In the end I squatted 468 in competition, which was 2.2 times my bodyweight, and won the MD State powerlifting championship in my weight class.
bearfacedkiller wrote:Excellent points Tvenuto. I think we do largely agree and like you said in the other thread, diet is a very personal thing and people hold strong convictions when it comes to their diet. I still question a low or no carb diet and probably couldn't do it myself. It also seems as though different exercise communities each have their own popular dietary beliefs. Obviously as an endurance athlete I have been surrounded by the beliefs that carbs aren't bad and that you need some.
As mentioned previously you would likely need to lower your running volume if you switched to a ketogenic diet, which might not be desirable. There is a really good reason that each "exercise community" has it's own sort of diet lore, and often that's due to the demands of that particular athletic pursuit. However, we need to be careful not to inappropriately emulate people who aren't like us. For instance, if I'm a 250lb "over-fat" male, and want to get into endurance running, I do NOT need to be carb loading even though that's what the "big dogs" do.
bearfacedkiller wrote:You being a Crossfit instructor I would like to ask you if you support the paleo diet? It seems to be very popular in the Crossfit community and your evolutionary comment also might lead me to believe that you support that diet.
I think that the paleo diet has some great utility. For instance, if I have a client that won't control portion size, and doesn't want to think about maconutrient ratios, I can tell him/her to follow the paleo diet and each at much as they want. They're probably going to get their calories in line when the bulk of their diet is high in nutrients but low in caloric density (veggies). However, like anything else it has its pitfalls, and we find people overdoing the dried fruit in some cases. Also, the concept becomes less useful when talking about athletes, since they'll likely need some faster absorbing carbs, and nutrient timing becomes important. So the answer is, yes, the paleo diet is a useful concept, especially for the "over-fat" or totally hormonally broken beginner, but hanging onto it once you become a more advanced athlete could be problematic, and it certainly isn't the magic bullet for everyone.

My evolutionary comment was merely that since humans have developed a mechanism for creating sugars when they are absent in the diet, then surely we faced periods of very low carb consumption in our past. However, I do believe that our diet as a whole has an evolutionary basis. It's not a coincidence that the "healthy fats" are the ones that you can readily find in nature. That is, you can squeeze an olive and get some olive oil. You can not squeeze a corn cob and get corn oil, that requires an industrial process and tons of corn, so clearly we aren't used to large amounts of that kind of fat in our diet. The things we're designed to run on are the things we "grew up" eating: meats, veggies, fruits.
bearfacedkiller wrote:I would also like to ask you about different types of carbs. It seems that anti carb folks are largely against grains if I am correct.
This could be one of two different things: anti-carb people might be removing grains because they are dense high glycemic (fast releasing) carbs; OR, anti-grain people might just be removing a lot of high glycemic carbs because they are avoiding grains.

So the first one is pretty simple, grains are very dense sources of carbs, which often leads us to make somewhat unbalanced decisions about food. How about a bagel with 2 eggs. Sounds pretty balanced, right? However that has 16g fat, 54g carbs, and 23g protein. So, if I have a guy who doesn't care to understand macronutrient ratios, I can tell him to avoid grains, and his breakfast switches to 2 eggs, an orange, and a handful of almonds. New ratio: 29g fat, 22g carb, 20g protein, much more balanced, and the guy in question didn't have to really think about anything.

Why worry about macronutrient ratios as opposed to calories? Because your body is responding to the macronutrient ratio, and your experience of how many calories you consume is highly dependent on that. See here for an interesting article on how they starved people to actual insanity on 1570 cals per day, and in a completely unrelated study, people ate until they were completely satisfied on 1560 cals per day.

Now the anti-grain discussion is a whole can of worms. There was even a south park episode about it. The short story here is that animals have teeth and claws to bite and scratch you, and legs to run away. If you catch and kill them, they've exhausted their means of defense against being eaten. Plants are a different story, they can't run, so resort to chemical warfare to discourage the eating of parts that they don't want to be eaten. Invariably, when you eat grains, you're eating the reproductive parts of the plant, which poses an obvious issue for the plant. As such, these contain various chemicals that may be more or less of a problem depending on the person. Also, because these proteins are resistant to being eaten, they don't break down as small in your gut, and if you're unlucky your body might confuse these proteins for proteins you have in your body, and you may start to get auto-immune issues.

We generally recommend removing them for a time of 2 to 4 weeks, then add them back and see if anything changes.
bearfacedkiller wrote:Is there much of a difference between consuming starches and sugars? I do not eat a lot of grains but I do eat a ton of fruit so I consume a ton of fructose. I eat a 400-500 calories a day in the form of fruit and eat bananas every day, especially before I run.
First answer: all carbohydrates hit your intestine as sugar due to enzymatic processes, so when it comes to total carb load I wouldn't say there's a huge difference between eating a complex carb (starch) like bread or that exact amount of sugar. HOWEVER, your satiety and appetite will be greatly affected by how those carbs are delivered. Again we go back to the baked potato vs can of soda example, one will leave you satisfied, the other won't due to the speed of absorption and other things.

I would caution that not all of the sugar in fruit is fructose, see the below chart. For instance an orange only has 4 grams, which is less than half of the sugar, and a banana has 6, which is about a third. There is some thought that fructose in particular is problematic and different from other sugars, one of the reasons being that it is processed by the liver almost exclusively, see this brief article. However, remember that we also have gut flora (microbes), which are capable of digesting things that we otherwise would have trouble with, and by eating fruit and its soluble fiber, you give that flora a chance to work on that sugar before your body is forced to decide what to do with it.

In the before run example you would definitely want a faster absorbing sugar as you don't want it sitting in your stomach like a baked potato would. Normally, this fast absorption is a problem, since people just sit at their desk and it gets stored as fat, but that's not the case with you. One of my clients was a marathon runner and said he used to fill his water bottle with flat coke for a race, which is obviously different than sitting at your desk and drinking it.

Donut wrote:Any thoughts on multi vitamins/vitamins? I take a potassium pill, but it only gives me ~100mg per pill.
I take one, because why not? It's a relatively cheap way of ensuring that your dietary needs are being met.