USN exclusive Lady Bug Hawkbill in toxic green/TiCN

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
w3tnz

Re: USN exclusive Lady Bug Hawkbill in toxic green/TiCN

Post by w3tnz »

These are sick! Call me green with envy, nice blades, way beyond my means at sfo price though !
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

w3tnz wrote:These are sick! Call me green with envy, nice blades, way beyond my means at sfo price though !
Agreed. If i could snag a USN coupon i would be good, but at MSRP it's not gonna happen. :(

JD
swigert

Post by swigert »

Head over to usn and register
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

swigert wrote:Head over to usn and register
I have 2-3 times in the past and i never hear from the admin to approve my account. I get the initial email saying please wait for approval, but nothing beyond that. I have also used my private work emails as addresses and i still never hear back.

JD
Skywarp

Post by Skywarp »

Ive finally registered successfully - after paying full price for 2 of these.

I wish I had more patience!
Wanted to join USN anyway...
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Got mine in today as well as another catalog and a sticker! This little guy or shall I say lady... is pretty sweet!

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Received my pair on Thursday and swapped my SE blade into a foliage green Ladybug frame. I debated what color to use of the ones I have, and considered orange, tan, grey (SB sprint), and white, but decided against using any of those since they are rarer colors and chose to keep them intact.

This is after I attempted the swap into the grey G10/SS linered Jester frame (Jesters and Labybug 3's use the same handle). It was not a success... :(. First, the lockbar on the USN hawkbill has extra material where the spring engages the lockbar internally. Putting the USN lockbar into the Jester frame didn't do squat, the lockbar had no action, it was stuck against the spring tightly. (Sorry, no pics, I thought about it but was too frustrated!)

So... I opted to diamond file the USN lockbar to match the area where it mated to the spring, using the Jester lockbar as template. Put the whole thing together, it looked great (!), and then after about the 10th opening, it failed. Not sure what happened but it was no longer functional at all. Too bad too, it looked and felt great! After that I gave up and went to a FRN handle, and I like the result a lot. Cheers, Radioactive :)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Definitely digging the blade swaps!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
RadioactiveSpyder

My very first thought when I opened these guys was that we need more black coated LBKs! I'd love a TiCN-coated Dragonfly!!! All black G10 and hardware, oh yeah.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Its a shame about the satanic goat head on such a cute little knife. Id have to exorcise it if i ever got one.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Cheddarnut wrote:Its a shame about the satanic goat head on such a cute little knife. Id have to exorcise it if i ever got one.
Not sure when goats became satanic. Goats are pretty cute in their own right.

swigert

Post by swigert »

Cheddarnut wrote:Its a shame about the satanic goat head on such a cute little knife. Id have to exorcise it if i ever got one.

To be fair it is a forum knife. Just like how if people weren't involved here they prob don't like our forum knives.

Similarly I didn't jump on the EDC forum manix 2 XL simply because of the logo of a forum I'm not invested in.
RadioactiveSpyder

I dunno, that's still a pretty evil-looking goat! ;) :p . You can see it in the eyes :eek:
paladin

Post by paladin »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I dunno, that's still a pretty evil-looking goat! ;) :p . You can see it in the eyes :eek:
haha, too funny!*

*mumbles a secret USN hex spell under breath out of earshot of RadioactiveSpyder
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This brings up an interesting point which has been discussed before. If a forum knife is unique just because it is a forum edition with a unique color at most then it will appeal mostly just to the forumites. However, if you add some other desirable quality not otherwise available you will draw in non forumites as well. I am not saying this is a bad thing and for some forums which are trying to generate some revenue it may even be a good thing.

For example, the recent spyderco forum knife being in s110v most certainly attracted the attention of many non forumites who just wanted an s110v native, especially at the $150 price point. I did not join the USN just for this knife but I jumped on the knife because a plain edge hawkbill ladybug has never been offered before and I really wanted to try that configuration out. I guess my point is just that it is certainly something to take into account when choosing what model and configuration a forum knife is gonna be.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Also I think there was some irony in having a mock-evil looking tactical black spyderedge zombie-killing tiny cute toxic green ladybug. I've thought about a black blade spyderedge Squeak or Chicago a couple of times myself :cool: :spyder: ;) ... and sometimes it's hard to predict how many levels deep to go with CN's sense of humor :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I'm glad they went with a more useful (for me at least) design this time around. I've bought all three knives so far (Endura, Catcherman, and now Ladybug) but don't have a whole lot of use for the Catcherman (sorry JD!). Ladybugs, on the other hand, are great. I almost always have a lady/manbug on me all the time, so this USN knife will see a lot of use.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Donut

Post by Donut »

tvenuto wrote:

Why did you have to post a picture of the Devil as your argument? :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
PWork

Post by PWork »

Donut wrote:
tvenuto wrote:

Why did you have to post a picture of the Devil as your argument? :)

It's levitating.... :eek:
Paul
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »