How About A Larger Scale Dodo Model?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

How About A Larger Scale Dodo Model?

Post by JD Spydo »

One model I really adore from the GOLDEN ERA 1998-2003 is the DODO model. When I got my first one when they released it back around 2003-2004 I first thought it to be little more than a novelty knife. But one day out of curiosity I EDCed it and I was just amazed at how functional the Dodo model was as an Every Day Carry Knife.

Also the Dodo model is one whose popularity seems to continue on to many newer Spyderco fans and they have blessed us with a few Sprint models. Also the Dodo is just about as good as the Native in Full Spyderedge>> and I do hope we see it again in Spyderedge. But even more than that I would love to see a larger scale Dodo. I would like to see a wider/longer blade and with a real beefy handle putting it in the same league as the Chinook, Manix and Para 2 models.

I don't think I'm alone on this one either. Because if a small Dodo is a versatile EDC then what would an even larger scale Dodo be like>> Well I would love to find out. Who else would like to see this come to fruition?
MattM68

Re: How About A Larger Scale Dodo Model?

Post by MattM68 »

I'd like to see one. :) I just recently made a thread about the Dodo, because I'd love to see it return. I think I'd prefer the original version, but I'd most likely buy a large one anyways. :)

Matt
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The dodo is a knife I WANT to love! Classic spydie design with a very functional blade. Problem is the handle just doesn't fit my hand. In the choked up grip with finger in choil and thumb on spine, my pinkie pinger sits right on the back ridge on the handle. Just doesn't work for me at all in that grip which is unfortunate because IMHO that is the exact grip in which the dodo excels in use. I would love to see some iteration of the dodo with a handle that was more accommodating to various grips and hand sizes. Until then I will unfortunately have to pass on what would otherwise be one of my favorite models. :(
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MattM68 wrote:I'd like to see one. :) I just recently made a thread about the Dodo, because I'd love to see it return. I think I'd prefer the original version, but I'd most likely buy a large one anyways. :)
Well Matt I think we're on the same page all the way around because I too love the original>> I have the same PE blue Dodo I got back in early 04. One of my biggest regrets was trading my SE black handled Dodo because I didn't even imagine that it would become an extinct animal as it seems to be now a days.

But I do want a larger, wider, longer one with a really ridgid beefy handle. G-10 would be fine for the handle material but I'm open to more suggestions.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

JD Spydo wrote:
MattM68 wrote:I'd like to see one. :) I just recently made a thread about the Dodo, because I'd love to see it return. I think I'd prefer the original version, but I'd most likely buy a large one anyways. :)
Well Matt I think we're on the same page all the way around because I too love the original>> I have the same PE blue Dodo I got back in early 04. One of my biggest regrets was trading my SE black handled Dodo because I didn't even imagine that it would become an extinct animal as it seems to be now a days.

But I do want a larger, wider, longer one with a really ridgid beefy handle. G-10 would be fine for the handle material but I'm open to more suggestions.

Well if we could get a big one and a small one, I'd buy them both! :)

Matt
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The BBS lil matriarch is a current 3 inch PE reverse s and i want one but just haven't pulled the trigger due to price and that it is BBS. I would be curious about a larger Dodo but the original was an ergonomic no go for me. I seem to be one of the few on here who carries a cricket PE very often and i find it very useful and would like to try a larger PE reverse S if the ergos are good for me. I love the delica so the bbs matriarch would work for sure.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

JD Spydo wrote:
One of my biggest regrets was trading my SE black handled Dodo because I didn't even imagine that it would become an extinct animal as it seems to be now a days.
Really? With a name like the Dodo? Bwahaha!

Isn't it about time someone posts a picture of the manix2 from blade forums that was grinded down to look like a dodo? It's pretty much what the OP is looking for.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:The BBS lil matriarch is a current 3 inch PE reverse s and i want one but just haven't pulled the trigger due to price and that it is BBS. I would be curious about a larger Dodo but the original was an ergonomic no go for me. I seem to be one of the few on here who carries a cricket PE very often and i find it very useful and would like to try a larger PE reverse S if the ergos are good for me. I love the delica so the bbs matriarch would work for sure.
But "BFK" think about this for just a second>> what if a larger scale Dodo would fill the void that the original model didn't? And take into account the success Spyderco has had with most of their "reverse S" blade styles over the years. And very few of the newer Spyderco fans have ever got to test drive a Spyderedged Dodo which was a little beast of a cutter with teeth.

And you might be like Surfingringo and maybe your hand would fit a bigger model better?

I truly think a larger scale Dodo would be a slam dunk winner for everyone and Spyderco would sell these fast in both edge types I'm sure of it.
bearfacedkiller

JD, I'm not against it at all. I actually like the idea very much but after handling a Dodo I was left way less than impressed with the ergos. All I meant to say is that I would have to hold it before I could pass judgement. I was just saying that I know that the Delica fits my hand which means that I know that the BBS lil' matriarch will too.

I'm not knocking your idea at all. I actually really like it but with such a unique knife you just never know till you hold it.

Bring on the scaled up Dodo so I can find out! I do love my Cricket dearly as my discrete pocket scalpel with it's super fine tip. The weird thing is that I hate regular recurve blades but am fascinated with reverse S blades because of the acute tip. It opens packages like a dream.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:JD, I'm not against it at all. I actually like the idea very much but after handling a Dodo I was left way less than impressed with the ergos. All I meant to say is that I would have to hold it before I could pass judgement. I was just saying that I know that the Delica fits my hand which means that I know that the BBS lil' matriarch will too.

I'm not knocking your idea at all. I actually really like it but with such a unique knife you just never know till you hold it.

Bring on the scaled up Dodo so I can find out! I do love my Cricket dearly as my discrete pocket scalpel with it's super fine tip. The weird thing is that I hate regular recurve blades but am fascinated with reverse S blades because of the acute tip. It opens packages like a dream.
Hey I hear you loud and clear and after reading your post along with "Surfingringo's" and both of you voicing that your hands don't fit the Dodo handle well I got to thinking that a larger scale model might just cure that problem. Because on my Temperance 1 fixed blade model it has a grip that fits small, medium and larger hands very well. I've only ever met one guy in 10 years that didn't like that handle but he was a giant of a man and had an extremely larger hand that most people I've ever met. And if they can make a fixed blade handle with those kind of ergos then I have no doubt that a handle on a larger Dodo model will accomodate many more people.

So what I'm saying is this>> I'm hoping that a larger scale Dodo will cure the problem of bigger hands not fitting it. Because let's face it the original Dodo is kind of in the category of being a "BIG Little Knife". But by being as small in scale that it is there are a lot of people out there that the Dodo handle just doesn't fit unfortunately. Also I would love to see a larger scaled Dodo to see if it can do cutting jobs that the present model is not up to. I just think it would be an improvement as well as a bigger blade.

I'm optimistic that Spyderco can design a handle that will fit more people than the original model did. Because the Dodo is truly I believe Eric Glesser's best design to date IMO>> so to me a bigger version just makes good sense. And I would love to see that kind of cutting versatility in a larger scale Dodo model. As well loved as the original Dodo model is I have no doubt that a larger scale version would be around for a long time to come.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Yeah JD, that's kind of both the beauty and the bane of a handle with defined finger grooves/cutouts. When they work for your hand they are awesome. When they are off...well, there's just not much to be done about it. I did give some consideration to modding mine but ended up just giving it to someone as a gift.

Again, the handle fits me fine until I choke up and try to use the choil, but then it's a complete ergonomic "no go". My favorite thing about the dodo is how the tip becomes a natural extension or "claw" of the thumb when held in the forward grip. Not sure if this would still work on a larger model.

Sigh...one page into this thread and I've got myself about halfway talked into getting another one and modding the handle. :rolleyes:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Surfingringo wrote:Yeah JD, that's kind of both the beauty and the bane of a handle with defined finger grooves/cutouts. When they work for your hand they are awesome. When they are off...well, there's just not much to be done about it. I did give some consideration to modding mine but ended up just giving it to someone as a gift.

Sigh...one page into this thread and I've got myself about halfway talked into getting another one and modding the handle. :rolleyes:
Now I do like the contour and basic layout of the original Dodo handle but even with that model I wish it were just a bit more ridgid. And I believe a more beefy handle would cure a lot of problems people have had with the original model.

I do also hope that it would be made in Golden Colorado USA Earth just like the original model.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Well, this thread got me remembering how much I liked the reverse s on the dodo and I broke down and pulled the trigger..........

On a pe lil Matriarch! I've been eyeing that one forever and finally decided I had to have one.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I would MUCH prefer a Dodo with a wharncliffe blade. It would totally fit in the same handle and robably get the mainstream love the original never felt. "Whardo"? Maybe just "Eric's bada$$ handle and Janich's bada$$ blade"? I mean somebody actually put peanut butter and jelly together for the first time, right?
Donut

Post by Donut »

Surfingringo wrote:Well, this thread got me remembering how much I liked the reverse s on the dodo and I broke down and pulled the trigger..........

On a pe lil Matriarch! I've been eyeing that one forever and finally decided I had to have one.
Nice. I finished regrinding my SE Lil Mat to PE this week. I'm pretty sure you're going to like it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
bearfacedkiller

Congrats Lance!

Must... Resist...
-Darby
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Donut wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:Well, this thread got me remembering how much I liked the reverse s on the dodo and I broke down and pulled the trigger..........

Nice. I finished regrinding my SE Lil Mat to PE this week. I'm pretty sure you're going to like it.
Pictures pleaseee!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Donut wrote:

Yes, I will like it for sure. I got to play with a se lil matriarch for a few days last year and I have wanted one ever since. After getting to handle one I'm pretty much positive this one will make a superb edc knife for my uses and I decided I would prefer the pe for that reason. The se looks cooler though. :rolleyes:
Donut

Post by Donut »

Minibear453 wrote:
Donut wrote:

Pictures pleaseee!
Yeah, I need to get to that. It's not the prettiest thing, but it's pretty to me.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I would love to see 3" bladed Dodo. After that I will know about 3.5" :)