We know what you mean...but still

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Stuart Ackerman

Re: We know what you mean...but still

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Knifes... knives is right
Sheaves... sheaths is right
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I literally stopped playing "Words with Friends" (online scrabble) because it allowed "knifes" but not "knives" (as well as "wifes" but not "wives").
remnar

Post by remnar »

I am one to admit that I am grammatically challenged and it usually irritates me a little when I see someone attacked on a forum, which is very informal by nature, for their lack of grammar, spelling, and/or punctuation skills. On the other hand, I can't believe the number of times that I've seen "knifes" used on a forum about knives. It doesn't bother me, but it does surprise me.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

How did I miss this thread? I <3 grammar and syntax, and I love correcting my friends. It's my thing. Still, I let loose a lot both in person and on the internet, usually for effect. Speaking of which, that's one that I see a lot of.

Effect = noun
Affect = verb

My weakness is the comma. I abuse them, and I still haven't learned any concrete rules for when to or when not to use them, so I can be a bit of a gunslinger with commas.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Yea, I agree about the informal nature of a forum like this. Also we have people posting from phones that might be auto-"correcting" to the wrong word, especially when it comes to inserting apostrophes where they don't belong. That sounded dirty...

Anyway, that is why I put the info here instead of annoyingly correcting people in threads about other stuff. There were certain errors that were so simple I figured the only reason they were being made was lack of knowledge, so I figured I'd point these things out in a non-confrontational setting.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

PayneTrain wrote:How did I miss this thread? I <3 grammar and syntax, and I love correcting my friends. It's my thing. Still, I let loose a lot both in person and on the internet, usually for effect. Speaking of which, that's one that I see a lot of.

Effect = noun
Affect = verb

My weakness is the comma. I abuse them, and I still haven't learned any concrete rules for when to or when not to use them, so I can be a bit of a gunslinger with commas.
Good to know I'm not alone! However, I'm sure you've noticed that when you become known as "that guy," you'd better be on top of your game. It forces me to look a lot of words up to be sure I'm not missing some nuance. Also, it pushes me to say things in an interesting or different way.

I'm with you on the commas: I tend to be a "when in doubt, use a comma" kind of person. There are certainly different thoughts on the comma out there, so I wouldn't say there are any absolutely concrete rules to follow.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I don't, know what you mean, about, the overuse of commas? I, mean, I only use them, when they, are absolutely necessary. ;)
remnar

Post by remnar »

tvenuto, I hope you didn't think that I was implying that you were attacking anyone by starting this thread. I understand that this thread is just a helpful reminder for us all. :)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Nope not at all. I was just acknowledging how that can be annoying.