We know what you mean...but still

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Deacon

Re: We know what you mean...but still

Post by The Deacon »

Steel vs steal. Kind of amazing, but that does happens on knife forums. :eek:

FWIW, not sure if I agree with your take on acronym plurals. Probably because I'm one of those who treat them like contractions and put in the apostrophe. Beside, with Spyderco, PM2s is ambiguous. Could mean more than one PM2, but it could also mean a single serrated PM2. Granted, context would usually allow you to tell which.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Half of my posts are made while either on my phone or while holding a baby and typing with one hand. You are gonna have to take what you get. This is a knife forum after all, not a grammar forum. I agree 100% with you and I do try to take care when communicating in either a written or verbal manner but it just doesn't come easy to some of us. Differential equations I can do but high school english not so much. Numbers are my thing and letters are not.
Of course, and I understand those things, which is why I don't beat people up over errors or correct them constantly. Although Yab called me the Grammar Police that actually isn't how I view this. The police seek out and punish you for doing wrong, I'm merely just posting the information for those interested. As I said earlier, if someone learns something, then I feel like I've been productive. I certainly don't have the energy or desire to actually police and correct people's grammar every time an error comes up.

I own a gym, and I hate running into clients in the grocery store. I know that they're suddenly embarrassed to see me and think that I'm judging the contents of their cart. Do I have an opinion on what their ideal diet should consist of? Darn right I do, but if I've given them the information I've really done all I can, the rest is up to them. So I really don't care what's in their cart. If they feel that eating cheetos is worth reduced athletic performance, then so be it, at least they have been the consequences. I view this thread in the same way. I put out the information, but won't be offended if no one decides to change their behavior.

I also understand I'm fighting an uphill battle when it comes to grammar and language in general. When the most popular book in the past couple of years is one about BDSM and seems to have been written with about the same eloquence as a furniture assembly manual, I know I'm in the minority. What's more, my two chosen careers were engineering and fitness, two industries not exactly known for their good writing skills.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

The Deacon wrote:Steel vs steal. Kind of amazing, but that does happens on knife forums. :eek:

FWIW, not sure if I agree with your take on acronym plurals. Probably because I'm one of those who treat them like contractions and put in the apostrophe. Beside, with Spyderco, PM2s is ambiguous. Could mean more than one PM2, but it could also mean a single serrated PM2. Granted, context would usually allow you to tell which.
Yes I've seen that, unfortunate. The apostrophe on acronyms and abbreviations can be murky, as well as on things like "I got straight A's." I'll admit that it's probably a preference thing in those cases.
Last edited by tvenuto on Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

LuxN wrote:Image
Lost

Post by Lost »

That GIF made me legitimately laugh out loud..
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Per annum vs Per anum
I throw this one in there mostly for your enjoyment. Both are Latin phrases, per annum means at yearly intervals, like: "10% interest per annum." Per anum means by way of the rectum, like: "administer medication daily, per anum." You will see this error commonly on bank websites, advertising how much interest their credit card promises to put in your a$$.
Given the interest charged on credit cards and the interest paid on savings accounts, I'm not so sure this one is a mistake. :mad:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Irregardless
Prostrate (when referring to the gland)
Take for granite (yup, I've actually seen that)
Donut

Post by Donut »

I try to be correct. I read a lot of mistakes.

Reading mistakes doesn't slow me down much. I'm not sure spending the time or effort for the grammar to be 100% correct is worth the effort for the people reading what I write.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

tvenuto, Thanks for bringing this matter to discussion!

As non-native speaker in English allow me a note: I am convinced that grammar is important, especially for people like me. From time to time I'm rather irritated about that what I read in posts. German is my native language and 35 years ago I graduated in commercial high school also in two foreign languages: Englisch and French. Since that time a lot of water has been running down the rivers and I forgot a lot about foreign language grammar and am still doing the same foolish mistakes over the years. But what I know for sure is that I want to improve my skills in Englisch and to participate in Sal's forums is good practice.

So let me thanks all people who are willing to think before they write and let me thank also all people who do proofreading her posts before they go to public!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

LuxN wrote:That GIF made me legitimately laugh out loud..
I don't even know what it's from, but I've found that when I need a gif to express something, the internet never lets me down.
Donut wrote:I try to be correct. I read a lot of mistakes.

Reading mistakes doesn't slow me down much. I'm not sure spending the time or effort for the grammar to be 100% correct is worth the effort for the people reading what I write.
And I respect that decision. But now I can rest easy knowing:
1. I've made my case on why this is important
2. I've put the information out there
bh49

Post by bh49 »

tvenuto wrote:I've held off on this as long as I possibly can, but folks, I can hold off no longer.
I love you man :)
Seriously, thank you.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I try to keep in mind that English is not everyone's first language, both when I read and when I write posts. I tend to use a lot of euphemisms in everyday life and I try to use less confusing language on here. English can be very hard to understand if taken literally with all our weird figures of speach. I also try to be patient when decifering some harder to understand posts.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Lost

Post by Lost »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I try to keep in mind that English is not everyone's first language, both when I read and when I write posts. I tend to use a lot of euphemisms in everyday life and I try to use less confusing language on here. English can be very hard to understand if taken literally with all our weird figures of speach. I also try to be patient when decifering some harder to understand posts.
Kinda reminded me of this, I have this saved on my phone from roughly A year ago. Thought it was kinda cool and had to save it.

We'll begin with box; the plural is boxes,
But plural of ox is oxen, not oxes.
One fowl is a goose, and two are called geese,
Yet plural of moose is never called meese.

You may find a line mouse or a house full of mice;
But plural of house is houses, not hice.
The plural of man is always men,
But the plural of pan is never pen.

If I speak of a foot, and you show me two feet,
And I give you a book, would a pair be a beek?
If one is a tooth and a whole set are teeth,
Why shouldn't two booths be called Beeth?

If the singular's this and the plural is these,
Should the plural of kiss be ever called keese?

We speak of a brother and also of brethren,
But though we say mother, we never say methren.
Then the masculine pronouns are he, his, and him;
But imagine the feminine.... She, shis, and shim.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

yablanowitz wrote:Nice to know the grammar police are still around, but you might as well give it up. Coherent communication was already dead, and the text message buried the body.
Unfortunately, he's right on the money. Makes it very hard on all of us who care. People don't use handwriting anymore, also. My number one complaint is the apostrophes for plural.
- best wishes, Jazz.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

... and my person favorite these days... Healthy vs Healthful.

Living things can be healthy (or not ;-) ) People, puppies, growing carrots.

Things that contribute to that state are healthful. Things like clean air, clean water, organic food... All these things are healthful, not healthy, though you will rarely read this in print these days.

Good thread!

Ken
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

kbuzbee wrote:... and my person favorite these days... Healthy vs Healthful.

Living things can be healthy (or not ;-) ) People, puppies, growing carrots.

Things that contribute to that state are healthful. Things like clean air, clean water, organic food... All these things are healthful, not healthy, though you will rarely read this in print these days.

Good thread!

Ken
Negativo. Healthy can be used (correctly) as a synonym for healthful when used to describe something that promotes good health.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Purpose: something you are suppose to or are destined to do. Porpoise: A Large sea creature whose name is fun to say. :D
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Knivesinedc wrote: Porpoise: A Large sea creature whose name is fun to say. :D
And which can be confused with a Dolphin but never a Dauphin. :)

Ken
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Surfingringo wrote: Negativo. Healthy can be used (correctly) as a synonym for healthful when used to describe something that promotes good health.
Certainly today it is. I was not taught that usage. Maybe it's changed (I typically hate change ;) )? Maybe I was taught incorrectly? Maybe this current usage is incorrect?

Ken
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Tvenuto, what are your feelings about those of us that aren't above just plain making up words as needed to suit the occasion? ( usually means when my "old timers" kicks in and I can't think of the correct word.)

1)OK? 2) Never gave it much thought? Or, 3)Should be made to "kiss the gunners daughter " at the earliest convince or some other type of example made of them suitable to the infraction.

Joe