What "Other" is in your pocket???

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Zenith

Re: What "Other" is in your pocket???

Post by Zenith »

A well used military and Model 1 SFF

MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

Top Five : :bug-red-white : PM2 Maxamet, Native 5 LW SPY27, Para 3 20CV, Military Cruwear, PM1 D2
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Very NICE MM!!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

endgame

Post by endgame »

Hinderer xm 18 bowie 3.5 ,spanto 3.5 slicer 3.5 ,warnie 3.5 ,spearpoint 3.5 ,skinner 3.5 , custom hellfire3.5 ,custom tanto 3.5.reapeat in three inch except a few grinds and same with xm24..fxm on right hip sometimes.I will cary wich ever fits my mood or what I need it for.I love hinderer and have loads of them.toughest midtechs around so versitile
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

My "other" is a 16 inch steel ASP in my pocket :)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

This little budget guy.
Going back to Caly.
KaliGman

Post by KaliGman »

Today, as is routine when I am wearing a suite and tie, an Emerson fixed blade karambit. I have a Schempp Tuff and Paramilitary 2 with me as well, along with a few other items.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

KaliGman wrote:Today, as is routine when I am wearing a suite and tie, an Emerson fixed blade karambit. I have a Schempp Tuff and Paramilitary 2 with me as well, along with a few other items.
Ah, I see you've been influenced by Doc Snubnose and his penchant for carrying many sharp and pointy objects. :p
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Just arrived

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DRKBC wrote:Just arrived

That's a dang good looking knife. I'm constantly torn on buying a Strider and/or a Sebenza, but this is another one that pulls at my heart strings from time to time.

And every time I see one of these knives, I keep thinking how much nicer they would be if the clip screws were counter sunk and flush.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

That is funny now that you mention it, I don't know why they wouldn't have counter sunk the screws but that said they don't really get in the way at all. It is quite a nice knife, kind of like a marriage between the two a more ergonomic, bit more tactical knife like a Strider but with the build quality of a CRK.

The Strider is a nice light weight folder and the Sebenza is kind of like your ultimate minimalist knife, nothing over done but everything done really, really well. I will need to live with this one for a couple days but I find it very impressive. You might also like the steel better as I know that was something you weren't overly impressed with on the other to brands. Mine is S35VN, 3.5" blade but they make the XM's in 20CV and XHP. I am not 100 percent sure if the XM 24 comes with all of the 3 steels but I think it is consistent through all of the sizes.
Last edited by DRKBC on Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

They look very nice, unfortunately I don't know anyone local who is as much a knife nut as me so I've never handled one. I wouldn't mind if they did away with that unsharpened area at the heel of the blade. I guess that can double as a choil? I don't think I'd risk it myself, way too close to the edge for my liking and there's no guard or even jimping to stop you from slipping forward into the edge. I do like the flipper/guard design though.

The thing with the screws that caught my eye was how they provide the little Ti piece to fit into the clip cutout by the pivot...that's such a nice touch, but then they use acorn head screws to hold it in, so you trade an open cutout for raised screws. It would just be so much nicer if they were flush.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

The area at the base of the blade actually is a choil, I have large but not overly large hands and it fits me well, but your right the absence of some kind of a guard could be an issue. That said, the flipper guard in conjunction with the handle shape, 3D texture and the jimping all kind of combine to give you a pretty solid purchase. Not that your hand couldn't slide forward but when you grip the knife in that position (with your finger in the choil) it feels like you are pulling the handle back into your palm if that makes any sense. The Strider on the other hand feels kind of neutral in comparison and not quite as ergonomic, you feel the heel of the handle getting in the way a bit.

I know what you mean about wanting to actually see one, they are expensive so buying one sight unseen is a risk for sure. Thankfully the prices have come down quite a bit recently, I wouldn't have bought one a year ago but now they are getting somewhat affordable.
Last edited by DRKBC on Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DRKBC wrote:Thankfully the prices have come down quite a bit recently, I wouldn't have bought one a year ago but now they are getting somewhat affordable.
I keep seeing people post about the price coming down. I see them listed on a couple sites for $525.00....is that down or can they be had cheaper?
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Yes the price is lower than it used to be. Hinderer only sells direct to Law Enforcements, Military, Fire Dept etc. and the rest are sold through dealers. The demand was so high and supply so limited that they would typically sell for $650 to $750 even as a used knife (Hinderer's retail was I believe about $380 then). Hinderers current retail for a new Gen 4 XM18 is $425 and you can find them on the BF exchange LNIB for anywhere from just under $400 and up (depending on what options and steel etc.) or new from a dealer they start at $495.

Some speculate it is because of ZT's new collaborations, they are not the same quality but offer a pretty good alternative for the price. Others say there is more competition in that space, other high end knifes like Shiro's for example are also coming down. Or it could be just the fact that a lot of people have them and demand has fallen off a bit. Anyway that is as much as I know, I wouldn't pay $650-750 for one but at the current pricing I think they are good value.
Last edited by DRKBC on Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

In the rfp as of late.. GEC Orange Delrin 71 Bull Nose.. Cant wait till the Natural Canvas Micarta arrives too!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

jmh58 wrote:In the rfp as of late.. GEC Orange Delrin 71 Bull Nose.. Cant wait till the Natural Canvas Micarta arrives too!! John
Couldn't agree more! Well, except that I'm waiting for an OD version, I already have my natural. Carrying it today actually! The #71 is one of my most carried blades ever.
Top Five : :bug-red-white : PM2 Maxamet, Native 5 LW SPY27, Para 3 20CV, Military Cruwear, PM1 D2
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Beautiful knife! micarta is such a nice material and it feels so nice in the hand. I only own one knife now in Micarta, I guess I have owned two over the years but always very impressed by it.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

That is indeed a beautiful folder!
Going back to Caly.