Your thoughts on S90V

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Cliff Stamp

Re: Your thoughts on S90V

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Donut wrote:When you're EDC'ing a knife, you don't always have sharpening tools with you, so edge retention could be fairly important.
It isn't that difficult to carry a folded piece of sandpaper or even find something hard or abrasive enough to sharpen a knife. I think the main thing is that most people think that sharpening is exceptionally difficult, but the reality is that most things a knife is used to do are more difficult than sharpening.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I already regret posting in this thread. I tell myself over and over again, "don't take the bait", yet still I can't resist sometimes. Arghhh!!!

I'm about to get told how wrong I am. :mad:
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

bearfacedkiller wrote:For that reason you should just try it out for yourself and see if it works for you and meets your expectations.
The problem is you are not consistent in that argument, you are using special pleading and thus making a fallacious argument. It would be trivial to turn up threads where the same people here who argue to ignore science and just go by what you experience argue that others should reject their experiences because they don't agree with the conclusions the OP is reaching.

However even if you were consistent the argument would still be wrong as it rejects science while arguing for it and it inherently special pleading. In fact it should be obvious with even casual inspection that looking to your own experiences and elevating them has to be problematic. I find it really surprising that I even have to give this kind of example given the age we live in, but just consider this :

I used a Suehiro 'Chemical' stone for awhile and I could give a fairly precise description of the finish it produced and the rate at which it ground/wore. However the problem I had was that the guy I bought it from had a completely different description of the stone, almost the opposite. Now what you suggest is that at that point I throw my hands in the air like I just done care as its all just opinions man.

But of course we don't need to do that, we have learned how not to do that. What I did was ask some questions, try to figure out how abrasives worked, what influenced their behavior and then did further experiments and was able to reproduce the exact description of the seller and it was due to the influence of pressure and water. There are still many things I don't understand about what I experience so I continue to read articles about abrasives and talk to others.

Arguing that someone should not to that, that should ignore the scientific method, ignore materials data, ignore even the most basic methods of how to remove bias from conclusions and that ignoring all of this leads them to make better conclusions - is just a staggering argument to make.
bearfacedkiller

I am always trying to learn and I am always open minded and trying to increase my depth of understanding. This does not change the fact that what works for me at one point in time is what works for me at that point in time and that the results I am getting at that point in time are the results I am getting at that point in time. As time goes on this may all change and my preferences may also change as I learn more but a knife that is supposed to work for me is not as good as a knife that does. It sounded like you were accusing me of advocating close mindedness and I was not. I have limited discretionary funds and they must be spent on knives that I know I can wring the kind of results I need from and this is based on my personal experiences and not someone's double blind study that I may be unable to reproduce. I am sorry if my pragmatism undermines your science but I have to buy what I know will work for me.

Most of us are just trying to find a knife and steel that meets our expectations and most of us are always trying to learn more and to increase out skill and ability but most of us are not trying to approach this with your purely scientific mindset. We all appreciate your knowledge and your effort and we all undoubtedly benefit from it but you continue to believe that we are all obligated to approach this with your purely scientific mindset.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Again, why am I even participating in this exercise in futility. Arghhh….
-Darby
Donut

Post by Donut »

I guess I'll have to practice on my field sharpening. Lately, I've been avoiding sharpening. My desire to sharpen comes and goes.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

bearfacedkiller wrote:... but you continue to believe that we are all obligated to approach this with ...
I have never said that anyone is obligated to use knives in a certain way. Even when I sponsor passarounds I don't restrict how people use them. I only have two rules; be honest, be willing to discuss your results. How can you possibly try to state I argue people are obligated to use knives in a certain way when I have been openly stating the opposite for more than a decade. What possibly could you intended to do by making such an obviously false statement.

In this thread what I noted is that arguing that people should ignore materials data and form conclusions based only on personal work which has no controls is not a sensible way to know and it is logically fallacious when you turn around and complain/criticize someone else who does the exact same thing. However I have not argued that you are obligated to do things in a way that generates knowledge, or that you are even obligated to make rational arguments.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Donut wrote:I guess I'll have to practice on my field sharpening.
Sharpening doesn't need to be very complicated at all. Here is a knife sharpened multiple times, different angles/configurations on one of the cheapest stones you can buy :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy23qeCL1s8" target="_blank

It is easily possible to get a knife sharper than this as it is only able to do a push cut at about 1/8" from the point of hold. But it isn't bad considering the steel, the stone and the time constraint.
eidah

Post by eidah »

*EDITED* (Unnecessary and unwelcome commentary) - TazKristi
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Bumpo to the top 'o....
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Bumpo to the top 'o....
Stir'o to the pot'o lol
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Evil D wrote:
chuck_roxas45 wrote:Bumpo to the top 'o....
Stir'o to the pot'o lol
I'm caught'o...:D
paladin

Post by paladin »

Donut wrote:First off, I apologize if I'm a pain in the butt. I've had discussions before and I tend to lead in circular or odd patterned logic.
I also find that a lot of your arguments tend to be circular...

and most of the time have holes in the middle too...

Except for the cream filled ones, and the ones with the jelly stuff. :p