2015 Forum knife request, by popular demand!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ManixFan

Re: 2015 Forum knife request, by popular demand!

Post by ManixFan »

Surfingringo wrote:Shameless plugging?? Harrumph, I have no idea what you are talking about sir!! I'm just trying to make everyone else happy!! Guess that's one of my character flaws...I'm always thinking about others! :rolleyes: :cool:
Yeah, I have the same exact problem. I always seem to know what would make others happiest.......even if they don't see it that way at the time. ;) :D
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

GoldenSpydie wrote:If there's a Forum knife, great, I'll buy one. If not, fine. I guess I'm kind of easy to please. :D ;)
Wow, as per my last post........I am sure that you would absolutely LOVE a diamond cut dark blue or moonglow G10 Caly 3.5 with either HAP40 or Hitachi XVC11 blade steel. Just trying my best to make you happy GoldenSpydie :D
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

ManixFan wrote:
GoldenSpydie wrote:If there's a Forum knife, great, I'll buy one. If not, fine. I guess I'm kind of easy to please. :D ;)
Wow, as per my last post........I am sure that you would absolutely LOVE a diamond cut dark blue or moonglow G10 Caly 3.5 with either HAP40 or Hitachi XVC11 blade steel. Just trying my best to make you happy GoldenSpydie :D
ManixFan wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:Shameless plugging?? Harrumph, I have no idea what you are talking about sir!! I'm just trying to make everyone else happy!! Guess that's one of my character flaws...I'm always thinking about others! :rolleyes: :cool:
Yeah, I have the same exact problem. I always seem to know what would make others happiest.......even if they don't see it that way at the time. ;) :D
Wow, you are just like me! We are such givers!!
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I didn't see it on your list Manix, so I just want to throw the Superhawk idea back out there even though I know it won't be popular, but it is a 3.5" blade. I just want to make sure it gets properly shot down so I won't be stuck wondering "what if".
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Surfingringo wrote:
ManixFan wrote:
ManixFan wrote:
Wow, you are just like me! We are such givers!!
We MUST be just alike! We both seem to be extremely selfless in our wishes towards happiness for others. :D

However, I would have to say by your posts that you are by far the better fisherman! :)

Paynetrain......just saw your response before posting......I will update the list.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

coughbumpcough

Oh. Hey guys! Sooo...how's this going?
:D
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Well I guess if Spyderco doesn't comment on what models are possible or not then I will set up a poll for all the models that were listed as fitting within in the blade length poll. At 102 voters at this time the 3.25" to 3.5" (inclusive) category has 50 votes and 49% of the vote.

I don't think its really a huge rush though and maybe Sal might want to post and let us know what models are even possible.......or maybe Spyderco would also be interested in how such a poll would go. A little bit of market research within the subcategory of Spyderco Forumite Afi's? ;)

If nothing is heard from Spyderco, I will start a new thread with a poll of all the listed knives at the end of the week.

I was also thinking about one of Deacon's earlier posts about the 1200 minimum for a Sprint out of Japan - if that number is really a fixed variable. If a Sprint model took advantage of a new boutique steel then perhaps 400-500 (whatever a Forum run would be ?) could have a specific handle scale attached (Moonglow or diamond cut dark blue G10 ;) :D ) and the remainder of the knives have another handle scale fitted at the factory.....or perhaps a more premium handle scale (CF).

The smaller lot could then have laser etching for the Forum knife done on them and the remaining knives left blank. The Forum knife could then be sold straight from Spyderco (as usual - but maybe one per customer) and the remaining knives could then go into the regular dealer distribution network.

This approach might also have the added bonus of reducing the demand/feeding frenzy for the Forum knife in the new boutique steel on the secondary market (i.e., flippers) if a Sprint of the same model/steel was then going to emerge on the regular market with the more premium handle scale.

If it was the RIGHT knife......I would pick up both the Forum knife as well as the Sprint ........as many other Spyderco fans would as well. If the Sprint run was sold just after the Forum knife then this would put a damper on flippers as well and if the Forum knife was limited to one per customer then those Forumites that would have bought two direct from Spyderco would probably still buy the Sprint on the dealer market. Especially if it were a pinned knife (hint, hint for the Caly 3.5 :rolleyes: :p ) since a non-factory aftermarket scale switch would be a more difficult prospect for any pinned models and most people would probably go out and buy both.......especially if the Forum knife had cool moonglow or dark blue G10 scales. :D

Just doing some out loud thinking........but I have no idea if this thought would be feasible either. But if the combination of the Forum knife and a Sprint were combined in numbers to become a total for a larger sized sprint run and the Forum knife was also limited to one per customer - then a Forum knife could be distributed and those same customers would then also likely be contributing toward the "demand" when the equivalent sprint run gets distributed through the dealer network rather than buying a second forum knife...... as might be the case otherwise.

But if there is no word by Spyderco as to what models are feasible then I will start another poll at the end of the business week that includes all the models listed and we can see what arises from that. Perhaps Sal might be interested in the results of such a poll and wait and see how it goes before joining in the discussion and letting us know which, if any, of the models that were voted for might actually be possible as a Forum knife.

I think that the voting has slowed down enough that the results of the length poll or the locking blade poll won't be changing too much.......but I will keep an eye on it as well before starting up the new poll. :)
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

2015 Forum knife sounds like a great idea to me :D
I'm not overly concerned with what model, steel or edge orientation.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Bump......for the beginning of the model poll :)
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Here's a link to the model poll... head on over and vote for the Caly 3.5... er... knife of your choice ;) :D

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =2&t=66496" target="_blank

Here's a link to the blade length poll in case anyone hasn't voted there yet:

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... 1&start=20" target="_blank
Last edited by DougC-3 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Alnamvet68

Post by Alnamvet68 »

Would like the '15 forum knife to be a Delica 4 with brown G-10 scales, and non-reflective, stone washed, hollow/sabre ground CTS-XHP steel. The clip should also be stonewashed to match the blade.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Alnamvet68 wrote:Would like the '15 forum knife to be a Delica 4 with brown G-10 scales, and non-reflective, stone washed, hollow/sabre ground CTS-XHP steel. The clip should also be stonewashed to match the blade.
I would certainly take one of these. Maybe we should have two forum knives! Although, at this point I would probably favor FFG though it would a little less classic and traditional ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.